VOICE II Meltdown? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

VOICE II Meltdown?

Has anyone ever seen this? My VOICE II was working mostly OK when new (cell phone never worked right), but gradually the music through the headset has slowly died. At first it would not work just after starting up the bike, but then if you cycled the radio "ON" button it would come back to life. Then it got worse til when if you turned the ignition all the way off, it would work after a restart. Now....nada. I haven't had any radio thru the headset in weeks.

BTW the intercom, FRS, and GPS sound all come thru loud and clear. In fact I can hear the click from the radio when I turn it on...but no music ever shows up in the helmet.

She's due to go in next week for mtce and a couple of other issues, but I was hoping to maybe have something to tell the tech to look for on this issue.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Exclamation I'm on my 3rd Voice II ...

Within 18 months, my Voice II system is once again being completely replaced. The intercom intermittently works, the cell phone answering and calling sucks 50% of the time, the stereo cuts out in one ear bud. The whole system disgusts me as I have spent $1,500.00 on the system plus six or seven service calls.

I can't believe BMW would release such a sucky unit. Wouldn't you think that they would have a cordless system by now!

Never again would I buy one.

Larry Seeman
Port Charlotte, FL
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:37 pm

I went through 3 Voice II's also and then told them I wanted my money back and got it. Went out and bought a Autocom ProAV1. Haven't installed it yet but i hope it's an improvement, carrier pigeons take up to much space in the side cases.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks

I guess the answer is that they fail, and maybe not the same way twice. I'll just need to cross my fingers on the next one. The only consulation I have is that it was standard on the '06....wait that means I can't get my money back...they'll just have to fix it, regardless of how many times it takes.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Dealer ordered a new one...

today. Dropped off the bike yesterday. They concurred that it was time to try another box.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Exclamation New 3rd Voice II System is defective just like other 2!

Well, Gulfcoast Motorcycles in Fort Myers just installed my new Voice II replacement for the third time within 16 months. It doesn't work like the first two systems. No audio out or at least intermittent out of one earbud and rarely does an incoming cell call ever get received by me. I haven't even bothered having the wife connect her helmet for fear that the intercom doesn't work like the first two systems. I'd rather have my $1,600.00 returned from BMW Motorrad.

Nonetheless, I do NOT advocate anyone ever buying a Voice II until BMW upgrades their poorly engineered intercom system. What would you tell the dealer besides, "the Voice II doesn't work?"

I am so disappointed.

Larry Seeman
Port Charlotte, FL
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 8:40 am

Talking Gulfcoast Motorcycles Of Fort Myers Rocks!

After three Voice II systems installed on my LT, Gulfcoast Motorcycles supported my concerns to BMW Motorrad. BMW has agreed to a "goodwill gesture" to return my 100% of my money for the Voice II system. Plus I get to keep the Voice II.

The system remains defective but it will be a great accessory for the bike resale when I purchase a new GT in the future! Thank you, Jeff and Ed Gallo.

Gulfcoast Motorcycle of Fort Myers rocks!

Larry Seeman
Port Charlotte, FL
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 2:47 pm

Wow! I just posted the Q about my intercom integration woes and was thinking that after hours and hours of trying to get things to work I should have just bitten the bullet and spent the $$ on the BMW comm system. Looks like my problems aren't any worse than BMWs.

Isn't that system made by J&M? I didn't have any problems with my J&M IntegratR that I had on my LT -- but it didn't have a cell phone interface which I needed to add. Hence my attempts at trying other systems.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 2:48 pm
Old Dawg

They used to be made by J&M but the VoiceI and VoiceII are not

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in