CB Radio connector help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

CB Radio connector help!

The person that sold me my LT removed the Midland CB and removed the cable from the oddiments box. I have a Midland but dont want to put it the odiments box. Question-The cable from the antenna is still running thru the rear section of he bike and still has the connector just below the stingray. I want to make a extedned cable but cant find that type of connector. I tried Fry's and Radio Shack but they say they have never seen one like it. Anybody got any ideas???

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:47 pm

Garage
Have you tried contacting the former owner and asking what type and where he got the odd connector?

Just a thought.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 1:34 pm

If it's just the antenna line, you'll likely be ahead to cut the old connector off and install a 'standard' connector. Assuming the antenna and feedline are 50 Ohm (typical), a PL-259 is commonly used. If you're using RG-58 coax (typical), you'll also need an RG-58 adapter for each PL-259. PL-259s fit RG-8 coax natively.
(Note: the PL-258/9 connectors are often called 'UFH' connectors, but really - their performance at even VHF is marginal. Totally unrealistic at UHF freqs. CB is considered 'HF' - they'll work fine for CB, 11m)

Then you can put in a PL-258 barrel connector and use a standard 'extension' cable. A run of coax with PL-259s on each end.

Uh, I'm assuming the midland rig will accept a PL-259 itself.

This page gives pretty durn good instructions on how to properly install a PL-259 to various cable sizes (RG-58, RG-8, etc), including how to use the RG-58 adapters.

Or, if you want to avoid the signal loss (measurable, but likely negligible) from an inline connector, run fresh cable from antenna to radio. For max performance, use RG-8 instead of RG-58, but it's tough to route - doesn't bend much or easily. That's why most accept the slight signal loss (special at HF) and use RG-58. The pain of forcing RG-8 into most mobile installs isn't worth it.

Any chance of seeing a picture of this odd-ball connector?

EDIT:
This place has some better prices on these connectors. No, I've no affiliation with any of 'em.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; Feb 6th, 2007 at 1:40 pm.

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Great advice,Tate!

de Dan KF6TUA

dasBiker
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 6:36 pm

Thanks Dan!

But as has been shared with me via PM (thanks!), I should've put more emphasis on the 'negligible' losses of a barrel connector. They really can be ignored.

The losses are more theoretical than real. Mathematicaly, you can show they occur, but in practice, you'd be hard pressed to notice them they're so small.

Of more concern, on any install, would be weatherizing the joint. Over time, connectors will oxidize and create problems. PL-258/9s are known for being 'water absorbers', accelerating the problem and passing water inside your coax.

Bad enough getting gunk in connectors, but getting water in your coax? Major Fugly - as in replace your coax fugly. Different types of coax are more vulnerable to water ingress. Foam core being the type most here would see. Solid core is still vulnerable. Either way - seal those joints with something like this stuff. Save not only your connectors, but your coax as well.

Dielectric Grease?? Eh, I guess so, if ya gotta. Can't think of a real reason not to - other than the mess. But personally, I'd save that for the DC circuits, not my antenna stuff. Not needed if you properly seal things anyway.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in