BlackBerry, HF820, VC II, and Nav III - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 2:33 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

BlackBerry, HF820, VC II, and Nav III

Ok, after several threads, questions, answers, reseach, and my limited electronic deductive ability or lack there of... and the arrival of the HF-820

Set up is a 2006 K1200LT with the VOICE COM II and NAV III. Also have a blue tooth able BlackBerry 7100i. Issue is want to use the BB thru the NAV III and VC II. The NAV III even picks up the BB address book. Problem is even though the Nav III and BB would pair there was no sound thru the comm system even with the phone attached via the cell phone cable to the VC II. Enter the Motorola HF-820 'car kit'.

So (important to do the following in the order shown):
1. Enable Bluetooth on the BB. Pair the phone to the NAV III. Important to have the phone find the NAV III.
2. When NAV III asked to pair another device say yes or otherwise have it then look for the HF-820 and pair to it.
3. Plug the ear piece of the HF-820 to the phone input on the COMM II as if it were the cell phone.

Set the NAV III to pair automatically. Set the BB to Always Trust the Nav III.

Results were the ability to use the BB via the helmet headset and mic. Answered, ended, and initiated calls using the Nav III touch screen. Incoming calls would mute the sound system. Would have to mute manually for out going calls. The above is from a limited test in the garage with the bike running. So I have not extensively tested it on the road. But will post any issues. It will be about two weeks before I can ride. Business trip next week.

Would appreciate any input or others experience.

Last edited by GBaker; Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:51 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 8:54 am

Bluetooth can be a little tricky. Although you can pair to multiple bluetooth devices (master/slave), you can only communicate to one device at a time. This is the limitation of the protocol and devices supporting it.

I have a similar setup as yours, except, I have the Garmin 2820 and not the Nav III. Although they are similar, I am not familiar what the differences are with the phone feature.

Here is what I did.

Pair the device with the Garmin 2820 (your Nav III), then plug a cable between your 7100 and your cell port on your Voice II.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you need further help.

I do not recall why you needed the Motorola HF. Was it to eliminate the wire between the BB and the intercomm?
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 6:31 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
Bluetooth can be a little tricky. Although you can pair to multiple bluetooth devices (master/slave), you can only communicate to one device at a time. This is the limitation of the protocol and devices supporting it.

I have a similar setup as yours, except, I have the Garmin 2820 and not the Nav III. Although they are similar, I am not familiar what the differences are with the phone feature.

Here is what I did.

Pair the device with the Garmin 2820 (your Nav III), then plug a cable between your 7100 and your cell port on your Voice II.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you need further help.

I do not recall why you needed the Motorola HF. Was it to eliminate the wire between the BB and the intercomm?

Problem is even though the Nav III and BB would pair there was no sound thru the comm system even with the phone attached via the cell phone cable to the VC II. Enter the Motorola HF-820 'car kit'

I believe the diff is the NAV III does not have the IPOD feature. When I paired the BB to the NAV III the there was no sound thru the head set or mike even with the BB connected via to the cell phone plug in the V II. The Nav III showed a msg asking to pair the head set. It nw thinks the HF-820 is the headset. I will have more time to play with it this week end.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Does it work if you only connect the BB to the cell port and do not connect the BB via bluetooth to the Nav III?

I am trying to isolate where the issue is.
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 3:48 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Does it work if you only connect the BB to the cell port and do not connect the BB via bluetooth to the Nav III?

I am trying to isolate where the issue is.
Yes but you have to answer, dial, and hang up using the buttons on the BB.
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 9:48 pm

GBaker, just checking in with you.

Then you should be good to go. Now just connect you phone using Bluetooth and also connect your phone via the cell port. You can not create, answer and disconnect from your Nav III.

Am I missing something? This is how mine works today with the Garmin 2820.
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 4:03 pm

Quote:
GBaker, just checking in with you.

Then you should be good to go. Now just connect you phone using Bluetooth and also connect your phone via the cell port. You can not create, answer and disconnect from your Nav III.
Just for clarification: Did you mean to say you CAN create, answer, and disconnect from your NAV III?

Sorry if I may have misinterpreted.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 7:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
Just for clarification: Did you mean to say you CAN create, answer, and disconnect from your NAV III?

Sorry if I may have misinterpreted.
Yes if the phone is Bluetoothed to the NavIII, the NavIII is bluetoothed to the the HF 820, and the HF820 is connected via the cell phone cable to the the COMM II.
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 8:00 am

Ok. Are you saying the configuration does NOT work:

BB bluetooth to Nav III and BB cabled to cell port?

This configuration works on my setup but instead of the Nav III, I am using the Garmin 2820.

If this is the case, then all I can think of is the priority assignments. Cell port and nav III has a higher priority over the other.

Why did you want to use the Motorola bluetooth HF device? You did not want to place the BB in the audments box?
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 10:10 am

Configuration issues

If I may be as bold I think th etwo of you are talking at cross purposes.

Gene is using a NAVIII - there is no wired audio in to this unit, to get audio in you need a Bluetooth headset. The NAVIII then acts as a 'controlling bridge' for want of a better word. It loads the phones ponebook into it's memory and you control the phone from the NAVII. The way it takes control of the phone in this instance the phone is expecting all communication and traffic over Bluetooth and seems to shut off the wired input/output so he could not wire his phone to the intercom. To get round this problem Gene introduced the HF820 which is a Bluetooth headset that can be wired into the intercom so now we have

No calls beng made:

NAVIII --------voice prompts over B/T---------HF820 wired into intercom

Phone call

Phone----B/T----NAVIII-----B/T------HF820 wired into intercom

++++++++++++++

Erick seems to have achieved

2820-----B/T------Phone wired into intercom

The 2820 is the same but different as the NAVIII, the 2820 is able to accept a wired audio input - how is yours wired into the bike? It could be that while your phone is wired in and appears to be handling the call all communications are through the 2820. Try unpluging the phone. Your phone may also be different and not give up control of the wired input so easily. try the paired phone with a wired hands free kit and then with a B/T headset.

Good luck

Hope I have not mudded the waters to much - can you tell I am bored with nothing better to do in work today ;-))

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Yes, there seems to be some confusion.

I do not have anything wired input to the Garmin 2820. I am only using the audio output to the comm system.

My configuration is as follows:

Step 1: Blackberry 8700 connected to Garmin 2820 using Bluetooth
Step 2: Blackberry 8700 connected to comm system via 3.5mm stereo cable

Works perfectly. I also tested this configuration with the Blackberry 8100 and 8800.

Maybe by using bluetooth to the Nav III disables the cell port?
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:36 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hmm that is interesting. I will check mine and revert. I did not have anything wire connected to the Nav III either.
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Re: BlackBerry, HF820, VC II, and Nav III

I want to buy an HF820 on ebay. Does anyone know if they normally come with a cable to connect to the coom (i.e. 2.5mm jack)?
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWprofessor
I want to buy an HF820 on ebay. Does anyone know if they normally come with a cable to connect to the coom (i.e. 2.5mm jack)?
The MOTOROLA HF-820 does NOT provide ANY cable to plug into the 3.5mm phone jack.

Cable with male 3.5mm pin you must provide.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #15 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 8:38 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
The MOTOROLA HF-820 does NOT provide ANY cable to plug into the 3.5mm phone jack.

Cable with male 3.5mm pin you must provide.

Use the BMW cell phone cable.

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

post #16 of 19 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 5:44 pm

One question please. I'm getting ready to do the HF820 deal on my 09 LT with factory Nav and Comm. How many bands do I need on the ends of the 2.5mm male to male wire connecting the HF820 to the Comm?

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #17 of 19 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:22 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARK
One question please. I'm getting ready to do the HF820 deal on my 09 LT with factory Nav and Comm. How many bands do I need on the ends of the 2.5mm male to male wire connecting the HF820 to the Comm?

Two. The BMW cell phone cord will work fine.

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

post #18 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
Two. The BMW cell phone cord will work fine.
Thanks!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARK
It is 4 bands. That's 4 conenctions for + R speaker, + L speaker, + microphone, - common ground. And the BMW cable will work perfectly with the HF-820.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in