CB recommendations for 02 K1200lt? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 9:27 am Thread Starter

CB recommendations for 02 K1200lt?

I would like to add CB capabilities to my 02 K1200LT. Suggestions on where and what to buy? Installation suggestions, pitfalls etc. Would like my passenger to have transmit ability also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 9:59 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopdebeek
I would like to add CB capabilities to my 02 K1200LT. Suggestions on where and what to buy? Installation suggestions, pitfalls etc. Would like my passenger to have transmit ability also.
If you have the BMW Comm system (made by J&M) then the BMW badged CB by J&M is a good choice. You will need a push to talk (PTT) button for the rider and, optionally, one for the passenger.

I have the BMW handlebar CB by J&M connected to the BMW comm (commonly referred to as BC-3) unit and I like it. The only minor critique is that because of my height it cover the BC computer display, so I have to shift my line of sight to check it. It's a small price to pay for the convenience of the unit.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 3:01 pm

cb radio

Hi,
I just did the same thing a short time ago. I think the first thing to address is if you have a communications system aboard the bike now. I did not and after installing an autocom on my 2000 lt I found the only cb autocom would recommend or as they termed it suggest, was a hand held cobra 38wxst unit? It works ok but I had to add a ptt switch did not put one in place for passenger. Also needed a cable from autocom to get cb into system.
I think there are other options. Good luck.
Denny

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 3:20 pm

J&M, even if you dont' have a comm system. They make the same one for all bikes as the one for BMW.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 9:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
J&M, even if you dont' have a comm system. They make the same one for all bikes as the one for BMW.
But the J&M brand named cb is not compatible with the VOICE COMM II. I do not know re the other BMW comm systems (J&M made the one before the VC I or II). I think it is a matter of maching up the wiring and filters. But getting the correct info is the problem. J&M flat out told me there was no adapter or "fix" to get other than the BMW cp to work...

Dang GERMANS!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
But the J&M brand named cb is not compatible with the VOICE COMM II. I do not know re the other BMW comm systems (J&M made the one before the VC I or II). I think it is a matter of maching up the wiring and filters. But getting the correct info is the problem. J&M flat out told me there was no adapter or "fix" to get other than the BMW cp to work...

Dang GERMANS!!!!!!
It plugged right into the Comm III (J&M). But with a 2002 LT I highly doubt he's using a VOICE II. Hence the reason I stated looking at the J&M CB. AFAIK they no longer offer the BMW badged specific (J&M) CB.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
It plugged right into the Comm III (J&M). But with a 2002 LT I highly doubt he's using a VOICE II. Hence the reason I stated looking at the J&M CB. AFAIK they no longer offer the BMW badged specific (J&M) CB.

Pardon my confusion, I have an '06LT with the BMW VOICE COMM II. As recent as a month or so ago I went to J & M to get there CB and was told it was not compatible to the VC II and would have to get there BMW version from BMW. Not just a matter of crossing wires etc. Also BMW has two cbs that look a like but one is specific to the VOICE com I and II for 2006 and newer....

Also there was some on here that had one and spent considerable time adjusting connections adding filters and still had annoying static.

Believe me I would love the J & M cb.

I would appreciate knowing if your COMM III by BMW as I am not familar with the III and what year is your LT that you have the J & M on?

Thanks
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:20 am

I purchased and installed the BMW version of the J&M on my '06 along with the BMW antenna. So far it seems to work OK when switched to low power. High power causes a small feedback that others report is cured with different lower cables for the J&M headsets. I have not received them yet so cannot confirm. The CB plugs into the VoiceII with no problem, but the power relay was a bit of a challenge. The installation required removal of a lot of plastic, but it was not terribly difficult.

I will caution that I've not yet had a chance to road test the system since there's finally some real winter here in central Ohio. In the garage, though, it seems to work fine.

Jim
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopdebeek
I also have a 02 k1200LTE that came with a factory CB and GPS, but the previous owner didn't sell them with the bike. I bought the Midland 75-288 that is the same unit that was standard in 02. I can find the antenna connection under the seat but I can't find the power connection that BMW uses? Any help would be appreciated. I am also having a problem locating the cable that connects the CB to the Comm II system.

Island Mon
Roanoke VA
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:24 pm

I'm also having a hard time troubleshooting a power problem to my Midland/BMW CB installed in the oddments box. Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions that might help in finding the power source?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in