INTEREST? Possible Group Buy on ICOM F21GM 2-Way Radios - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 2:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

INTEREST? Possible Group Buy on ICOM F21GM 2-Way Radios

I spoke with one of our communications vendors today. They are authorized for, among other brands, ICOM.

Would there be any interest in a group buy on the ICOM F21GM handheld radios if the price was right? I have no pricing yet, just trying to gauge interest to see if this is worth pursuing.

If you are interested, please let me know. Please also let me know the price point you'd expect for a group buy.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 2:29 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

We did one a couple of years ago. At the time the group purchase price was $129.00 per unit.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yup! I am thinking of getting one.. maybe 2

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 2:46 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I spoke with one of our communications vendors today. They are authorized for, among other brands, ICOM.

Would there be any interest in a group buy on the ICOM F21GM handheld radios if the price was right? I have no pricing yet, just trying to gauge interest to see if this is worth pursuing.

If you are interested, please let me know. Please also let me know the price point you'd expect for a group buy.
I would route your business for these radios to Raffy. Since he's a longtime supporter of the site, and your comm vendor isn't, I think we should favor Raffy for this.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I would route your business for these radios to Raffy. Since he's a longtime supporter of the site, and your comm vendor isn't, I think we should favor Raffy for this.
Absolutely!
Besides we all know where to find him

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 4:40 pm
Gold Supporter

Educate me...Please?

Would this replace my Kenwood FRS? Would I just plug it into my BMW Comm. System, drop it in the glove box, and run like my Kenwood FRS?

I like the distance it boasts.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 5:08 pm

I totally agree with Jeff here, Raffy is "the man". Just as I always suggest riders to try to support their local dealers when they can (i.e. maintenance items and what-not), I think we need to support "our" vendors.
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

In orderof your questions.

Yes
Yes with a new interface cable
Rather have it outside (it is water resistant mil-spec) for full advantage of the unit's capabilities.

Tested up to 9 miles reception around Nevada/Utah border area. Wide open space.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 5:39 pm

Icom F21GM FRS/GMRS hand held radios

Raffy - you got a hook up for Icom's amateur radios as well or just the 'consumer' line?

specifically this one. Think'n that'd make a wicked good voice rig for an LT.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Hi Tate:

Yes. Not through me, but through my distributor directly. He is also on our BB. Contact Dan Albertson (member ID Dan-A).

Raffy

Raffy
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 6:09 pm

The setup on both Comm System I and the VOICE are designed to accept the Kenwoods plug-n-play. Incredibly, but not surprisingly, the Icom is exactly the opposite with the mic and speaker connections, and I have had no success in coming up with an adapter cable Raffy refers to. I tried the individual mini to sub-mini and vice versa adapters with no luck. I love the radio itself, and I would buy another one, from Raffy naturally, if I could figure out how to make it work on the LT.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 6:31 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Al (Sir),

Contact James Goodchild (member here). He posted the schematic/diagram/pinout on how to assemble your own cable, if BMW is no longer supplying the cables from J&M for the Comm System (aka BC-3 although not the same manufacturere as BC-1 and BC-2). If you are nice enough to him , I would venture he would make them for you.

Raffy
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 7:22 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
In orderof your questions.

Yes
Yes with a new interface cable
Rather have it outside (it is water resistant mil-spec) for full advantage of the unit's capabilities.

Tested up to 9 miles reception around Nevada/Utah border area. Wide open space.

Thanks Raffy,

SO...how would one obtain one of these interface cables?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #14 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

c'mon guys...

Did I just miss something here, or did a member (Tony) just try and do a "good thing" by fishing for interest in a group purchase and kinda' get slammed for it?

Now, in my personal opinion, Raffy is a great guy. A couple months ago I snapped a bolt when I joined the "Droppers Anonymous" club with my JPEGs down, after two days of begging and pleading for someone to sell me ONE replacement bolt, others telling me I was essentially retarded for not getting one at the local Home Depot (even though I went to not one but FIVE hardware shops, major chain and small, unsuccessfully), he then posted that he could take care of me, PREFACING his post by saying that he was uncomfortable posting what he did because he doesn't like to self-promote his business (talk about a vendor with ethics! I wish we could get him to teach lessons to other companies!).

How about, instead of dismissing Tony's effort, our friend Raf (through whatever means) chat him up and find out what price the mystery vendor can come up with, and I am sure he'll match it, instead of what could potentially be construed as "don't you KNOW that these things are supposed to be done a certain way???" to a new member to the family?

Pete "limited amounts of disposable income and likes the idea of group purchases, or he wouldn't have most of his goodies" Van Dyke

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
It appears that I may have stepped onto a political hornet's nest here. This was not my intention.

I understand where you are coming from, Jeff. My posts on the subject of making your purchase where you do your "shopping" and "tire-kicking" have already clearly laid out my views on this matter and my personal shopping ethics.

I have nothing against Raffy, he's always shown himself to be a first class professional and apparently enjoys a fine reputation here. I have observed him pitching in to answer questions even when it was apparent that the purchase would not be through himm. I suspect that there will be times when I make purchases from him. It will depend on the totality of the circumstances, on a case by case basis, just as with most purchases that I make.

For the record, I have two F21GM radios already, and I am not in the market for another. I have nothing to gain from any radio purchase from any vendor, other than the personal satisfaction of helping other members get a good deal.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 8:12 pm

Thanks, Raffy. You mentioned this to me once already, but I failed to follow through. Thanks again. Do you know what James's username is?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

Last edited by Ranger6; Jan 30th, 2007 at 8:19 pm.
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Icom F21GM FRS/GMRS hand held radios

Raffy - you got a hook up for Icom's amateur radios as well or just the 'consumer' line?

specifically this one. Think'n that'd make a wicked good voice rig for an LT.
HIJACK (sorry)...

Z, educate on that 2m/70cm rig. Where would you mount the head? Wouldn't rain be a pblm....

You could certainly have alot of fun with it on a cross country trip for sure....
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 9:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

And it's "plug and go" with the Intaride RP1 or so an esteemed member of this board has told me.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #19 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

post #20 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:35 am
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
It appears that I may have stepped onto a political hornet's nest here. This was not my intention.

No political hornets nest. I'm just pointing out that you might want to route your business to someone who supports the existence of this site first, rather than explore external sources when you look at future group purchases. Raffy, among other vendor supporters, has provided a significant level of support in terms of direct donations to the site, donations to the silent auction for CCR, and by providing a wealth of knowledge to the group in general. I think it's only fair (and well deserved) that when someone takes the initiative to set up a group buy for something sold by our vendor supporters, that they give that supporting vendor a first shot at the business.

On a side note, I'd like to bring one other thing up in terms of group buys. We've had feedback in the past from some vendors that people on this list are representing themselves as BMWLT.com when setting up group buys. This has the potential to cause us problems if things go bad with that vendor. In no way do I want to discourage people from setting up group buys. I think they are one of the values a community like this can produce. You're free to represent yourself as a member of this community when organizing a group buy, but please do not represent yourself representing the BMWLT.com community itself.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:45 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No political hornets nest. I'm just pointing out that you might want to route your business to someone who supports the existence of this site first, rather than explore external sources when you look at future group purchases. Raffy, among other vendor supporters, has provided a significant level of support in terms of direct donations to the site, donations to the silent auction for CCR, and by providing a wealth of knowledge to the group in general. I think it's only fair (and well deserved) that when someone takes the initiative to set up a group buy for something sold by our vendor supporters, that they give that supporting vendor a first shot at the business.
Fair? I don't know. Fair is so relative and subjective. Deserved? I can't argue against that. I value your opinion, so I'll take this at face value.

Being relatively new here, I was not fully aware of who does what for whom, other than what I read in the posts. I have no qualms with your line of reasoning, as stated previously, they're not that different from my own views.

Quote:
On a side note, I'd like to bring one other thing up in terms of group buys. We've had feedback in the past from some vendors that people on this list are representing themselves as BMWLT.com when setting up group buys. This has the potential to cause us problems if things go bad with that vendor. In no way do I want to discourage people from setting up group buys. I think they are one of the values a community like this can produce. You're free to represent yourself as a member of this community when organizing a group buy, but please do not represent yourself representing the BMWLT.com community itself.
Agreed. That would be unethical and inappropriate, and is not an approach I would consider using (and I am sure you were not implying that I did). I've been on the receiving end of someone representing themselves as being a part of a business enterprise I had an interest in. It was downright frustrating to deal with, and trying to get things straightened out consumed a lot of time and effort.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in