Hand Held Cb/voice Ii Compatability - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Hand Held Cb/voice Ii Compatability

OK, so I've finally hollered uncle and gave up getting my fancy {expensive} BMW CB to work. I've completely removed it from the bike. The Voice II works quite well with my phone, gps, XM radio, etc. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheap CB, perhaps a Midland handled or something similar, that will integrate with the VOICE II including the standard com system PTT?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 7:59 pm

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
OK, so I've finally hollered uncle and gave up getting my fancy {expensive} BMW CB to work. I've completely removed it from the bike. The Voice II works quite well with my phone, gps, XM radio, etc. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheap CB, perhaps a Midland handled or something similar, that will integrate with the VOICE II including the standard com system PTT?
Lynn,

I am in the exact same situation as you, except that I gave up and ripped it out a few months ago.

I found some diagrams on the forum to make a cable for Midland FRS radios. I contacted Midland to see if the plugs were wired the same and they are not. They did send me a diagram for the CBs, but it is over my head. If any of the engineers or HAM guys out there want to take a stab at creating a cable or diagram, I would be happy to email the schematic for the CB - just PM me.

I'm to the point that I have requested a quote for a Baehr from Raffy... The integration of the VOICEII is nice, but I've already spent tons of time and money on the CB integration and unless someone comes up with a solution soon mine will be on eBay....

Thanks
Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 9:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Well I went and am still in the same delima re the CB. I have the Kenwood GMRS/FRS hand held but it is not the BMW but one grade up. Works great thru the VOICE II/headsets with the BMW PTT button that I easily installed.

As I understand the cb for the VOICE II is a newer model specificly for the VOICE II. The one that works for the earlier model comm systems will not worrk on the VII. I think this is the one for the VOICE II:
Description Checkout Price Qty Total
CB Communicator - CB RADIO
(K 1200 LT with VOICE)
Item #: 71 60 0 414 267 - [Backordered] $495.00 1 $495.00

I looked and research and asked if the regular J & M (BMW supplier) cb would work to no avail. Just hate to spend $600.00 on a cb and antenna... It has got to be a matter of wiring and filters. I understand some have tried to varying degrees of success.

The difference in the FRS/GMRS hook ups are the specific part (tip, middle, or heel) of the jack the that is wired for what function i.e. ground, sound in/out etc. You could take a head set hook up for the Midland to Radio Shack and they could make the VOICE II end and spice it in for you. This would even be simpler for them if you have the VOICE II FRS/GMRS connector cable as they can then check the conductivity to id proper cross overs. The tip on one may be the middle on the other. It will look like it is made that way.

Hope this is of assistance.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
I looked and research and asked if the regular J & M (BMW supplier) cb would work to no avail. Just hate to spend $600.00 on a cb and antenna... It has got to be a matter of wiring and filters. I understand some have tried to varying degrees of success.
JM actually told me to get a different unit to use than theirs. I was shocked and yet glad for their honesty!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1mavin
Lynn,

I am in the exact same situation as you, except that I gave up and ripped it out a few months ago.

I found some diagrams on the forum to make a cable for Midland FRS radios. I contacted Midland to see if the plugs were wired the same and they are not. They did send me a diagram for the CBs, but it is over my head. If any of the engineers or HAM guys out there want to take a stab at creating a cable or diagram, I would be happy to email the schematic for the CB - just PM me.

I'm to the point that I have requested a quote for a Baehr from Raffy... The integration of the VOICEII is nice, but I've already spent tons of time and money on the CB integration and unless someone comes up with a solution soon mine will be on eBay....

Thanks
Tim

I would like getting the diagram for the midland if you don't mind

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
JM actually told me to get a different unit to use than theirs. I was shocked and yet glad for their honesty!

Tom
J&M were not that honest re the cb with me. They did save me lots of grief and were very helpful in getting our helmet sets and cords squared away.

Which cb did they recommend? Or which one do you use with the Voice II and any special wiring required?

Thanks,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in