BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   Intercom, CB, & 2-Way Radios (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/intercom-cb-2-way-radios/)
-   -   J&M Headset loud enough with earplugs? (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/intercom-cb-2-way-radios/18545-j-m-headset-loud-enough-earplugs.html)

rdwalker Jan 18th, 2007 8:18 am

J&M Headset loud enough with earplugs?

Hi, all:

I have a bike with the BMW-branded J&M intercom system. I am considering installing the headsets into my helmet, for music and for communications.

On long distances I prefer using earplugs for noise reduction. My experiences so far are first with Nady bike intercom and now with Chatterbox. The volume on either system is too low to be heard at speed through earplugs and therefore I use my Chatterbox-equipped helmet only when riding two-up, which is for short distances, as my wife has enough after a few hours.

When by myself, I either use foam earplugs and no audio, or in-ear earsets. After trying a wide range of earsets, like Shure's e2c, I finally settled on Etymotic's product, which is tiny, fits inside helmet without touching padding and does not cause discomfort upon prolonged use, blocks external noise (still leaving enough sound leakage to allow a bit of conversation, like normal foam earplugs) and sounds pretty good. Expensive, but I guess, you get what you pay for.

So, the question is: if I decide to switch over to J&M headsets, I'll use just plain earplugs to block wind noise. Will the sound from these speakers be loud enough to be heard through foam plugs?

What do you use?

Thanks in advance, Robert.

VitesseLT Jan 18th, 2007 9:08 am

I use many helmets, but mostly my HJC SY-MAX with J&M headsets installed. They are surely loud enough used with the 2006 stock LT intercom system and the variety of earplugs I've tried -- tall BMW windscreen up or down at customary street and highway speeds or all manner of noisy pavement. Actually prefer it with earplugs in rather than out because I can hear the sound system better (a little less hi-fi for sure, but apparent improvement in signal-to-noise compensates.) Also, fewer unanticipated high/low volume excursion painful surprises. There are quite a few important variables in this answer that I mentioned (and some I didn't mention) that would influence your personal results, so YMMV. Order one from Sierra or equivalent, and try it out. If you like it, order them as needed for pillion or other helmets.

grahamw Jan 18th, 2007 9:55 am

J&M Headsets

Robert

There is another option. I have an extra Autocom part that is normally used to provide a feed from the speakers to the autocom unit. It terminates in a 3.5 mill stereo jack at the end af a good length of cable. You can then buy a 3.5 mill male/male adaptor and plug your headphones in - does not allow for communications but will be a lot cheaper than 2 sets of headsets.

I have also seen cables that allow you to plug headphones in - cannot remember but maybe somelse does?

PM me if you think the autocom part may be of use.

rdwalker Jan 18th, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi, guys, thanks for the replies.

Indeed, just as Graham suggests, I have been considering a backup option of hacking into the J&M cord (I do have extras) to plug my earsets in.

But it is ecouraging to hear that the volume may be good enough and the "incision" may not be necessary.

Tnx, Robert.

alstrickland55 Jan 19th, 2007 9:04 am

I have an '02 with the J&M ComSystem and I have the J&M headset. I like to ride with earplugs, and I have tried many different kinds. But they all block out too much sound. This creates two problems. Most important, I am concerned that I can't hear enough of what's going on around me. Second, the radio sound is distorted when I turn it up loud enough to hear it when wearing earplugs. Does anyone know if there are earplugs that cut out maybe half as much noise as the normal ones?

strsout Jan 19th, 2007 9:58 am

I have an '02 with the BMW ComSystem and I have the J&M headset.
Wife and I are using earplugs (the foam ones) and other then having to turn the volume about 1/8 up then normal use, there are no difference on the music or on the talk with/without the ear plugs.
It works pretty good for us.

alstrickland55 Jan 19th, 2007 11:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strsout
I have an '02 with the BMW ComSystem and I have the J&M headset.
Wife and I are using earplugs (the foam ones) and other then having to turn the volume about 1/8 up then normal use, there are no difference on the music or on the talk with/without the ear plugs.
It works pretty good for us.

Maybe my helmet speakers are bad....

strsout Jan 19th, 2007 12:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by alstrickland55
Maybe my helmet speakers are bad....

Al,
could be the plugs.
The ones we are using they reduce 33db.
we can still hear most of the noises around us, but with less intensity.
The major factory is the wind noise that is considerable reduced with those plugs.
I don't have the brand here, but I can check it and let you know tonight, but them ear plugs are very personal: the best for one could be the worst to someone else :)

PS: we use Arai helmets