BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Any Cardo Packtalk Slim Owners?

18K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  rtwiz 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a headset that will interface well with my RT and became interested in the Cardo Packtalk Slim with JBL speakers. This is my first headset so all I have to go on are reviews at this point. Are there any owners out there with feedback on the unit? Happy for any info. TIA.

Reactions: Geoff c
#2 ·
I just installed the Packtalk Slim w/JBL onto my Shoei GT-Air, which had previously been outfitted with a Sena 20S Evo. The installation was pretty straightforward, though their guide doesn't do a very good job of describing how the clamps are used with the battery pack (you also need to go online to determine with size clamp to use). I eventually decided to use the adapter piece designed for an HJC helmet to lock the clamp onto the battery pack. The rest of the installation was super easy

The JBL speakers sound VERY nice. I had previously upgraded my Sena 20S speakers with UClear speakers. I thought those sounded pretty good... the JBL sounds much better. The voice control works great for controlling my iPhone audio or the built-in radio (which has fairly decent reception compared to other comm units I've owned).

The control buttons on the Slim are fairly easy to discern, once you've had a chance to fiddle with them and get used to how the upper and lower buttons feel with a glove. I have yet to link the intercom with anyone else's comm unit, but expect it to perform adequately using bluetooth for short distances. The Cardo app works well for basic set-up, and looks to be great for setting up intercom groupings and/or buddy lists. I don't typically link up with multiple riders in a large group... usually just my wife on the intercom or a single buddy on a bike in close proximity. I won't reap the benefit of the mesh DMC until I find some friends with Cardo units.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, and with the 25% MOA discount, I was happy to not pay full price. I was fed up with my Sena 20S which had glitchy volume issues, and would crap-out whenever I rode in heavy rain.

#5 ·
So to update everyone, I bought the Packtalk Slim. I needed to cut a small bit of trim of my helmet but after that the installation was pretty easy. I will have to modify the shell a little more as well, as the speaker pockets didn't line up to my ears well. I have the BMW audio system on my bike and did run into trouble getting my phone to stream to the headset with the recommended setup. I have read many posts about the best way to pair the unit to a bike with the audio system and the nav VI but didn't find any that resolved all the issues. As of now the only way I could get the phone, nav Vi and streaming (Pandora, etc) was to eliminate pairing with the bike's bluetooth. A few glitches and not ideal but it seems to work for the most part and the Packtalk has an FM radio onboard so not so bad. Since I never used one before I have nothing to compare it to but it's much better than what I had. I haven't tried the intercom connection yet as I only have one unit and haven't been riding. I will post the results of that when I have them.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom as to how to connect and make everything work perfectly I would like to hear it.

Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Geoff c
#6 ·
It might be a bit late as I noted the thread was in April. I have a Schuberth C4 helmet with the coms etc. I use a SC 1 as a remote control. I have had mobile calls and they have always been clear as a bell. The issue I have is that the system is basically a Sena unit developed in conjunction with the 2 companies and I have never been happy with the settings to use the coms and a few other things as they are not easy to hear the pairing modes etc. I wear hearing aids normally so that it is not possible to wear them with the helmet on, due to the fact when taking the helmet off the hearing aids go flying through the air lol. So I have had to be researching coms units and helmets with coms incorporated in them. I love the comfort of the Schuberth with the speakers as they have never put any pressure on my ears the helmet is one of the most comfortable helmets I have ever owned. But doing all the research that I normally do along with watching so many YouTube reviews I think I will be happy with the Cardo Packtalk single unit as I don't take passengers on my bike. From everything I have found so far the Cardo has come a long way with ease of use and pairing, the voice control seems to be way better than the Sena and the new JBL speakers seem to be a winner from all the reviews. They certainly look slim enough to be comfortable in the helmet without being a pain like the Sena S20 was in in my last helmet. I mainly use the system for music, but it is nice to be able to take a phone call when needed to. My issue is that with the Schuberth I would have to buy a new helmet also. I don't mind that as mine is getting on and about 3 years old at this time. So now I am looking at a full face modular helmet that is light comfortable to allow both the comfort and ability to use the Cardo Packtalk in that helmet. I have owned Shoei Neotec and Shark Evo 3 also I have had a BMW Systems helmets in the past but at the moment I am leaning towards a Bell SRT to enable me to use the Cardo system. I would like any feedback from anyone using the Bell helmets with or without a coms unit. Or any other recommendations on a light helmet that they use would be great thanks. My main concern is to end up with a light helmet that I can integrate the Cardo Packtalk without being uncomfortable or major mods to the helmet.
Looking forward to hearing back before I jump into a new helmet and spend a heap of dollars on something that I won't like wearing. The Schuberth works and feels nice on long trips but is getting on in age, plus I am not a fan of the Sena system in this helmet, although I can basically use it for what I would use the new Cardo for but with a better voice control like the Cardo has ,they seem to be one of the best units around at the moment and come a long way from what they use to be.

#7 ·
I'm about to jump ship from Sena for the PAK TALK Bold. Does anyone know if you can use ear buds with this unit?

#8 ·
Yes, you can. There is a 3.5mm plug that you either use for your ear buds or for the included JBL speakers that you install in the helmet.

Reactions: pkpr1998
#10 ·
I really like the Packtalk unit. It's reliable and the sound is great (I also used mine with in-ear monitors). I did a two week trip with 3 buddies this summer through CO, WY and MT and we all had the Packtalk on our helmets. The mesh system worked beautifully.

#11 ·
The guys I ride with are considering moving from the Sena 20s to the PackTalk Bold with JBL speakers. My concern is that with my Schuberth C4, the JBL speakers, since they are larger, will be too tight against my noggin. With the 3.5 mm plug I guess I could do without the JBL speakers. Has anyone tried the JBL's and can comment on the size, fit?

#14 ·
Go on their website and it will tell you which of the helmets are a good fit for either the Bold or the Slim Units
Was thinking about getting away from my new SRL (Shoei Neotec 2) that doesn't have a 3.5 jack and the battery life sucks! Didn't see the N2 on their website when checking compatibility by my local dealer said they could make it work
Haven't purchased the set yet but the Cardo Units are on my radar!

#12 ·
I just upgraded my Cardo Freecom 2 to a Freecom 2+ with the JBL speakers. In my Shoei Neotec there is plenty of room for the speakers. In fact, you want to have them tight up against your ears for best sound. Compared to the original Freecom speakers, the JBL's are a major improvement in sound. Better bass, smoother mid range, less fatiguing at highway speeds. There are some little velcro spacer pads included with the kit to get the speakers tighter to your ears if you have speaker indentations in your helmet. Freecom units don't have the voice activation feature, but do have a decent radio and will do rider-passenger and rider-rider close range connection, which is all I need. I haven't bothered to pair to my 2013 RT as I figure the in-helmet sound is going to be better than the speakers anyway. Pairing to my iphone was easy.

#15 ·
I have the Packtalk Bold, which is similar, although I bought it before the JBL speaker option was available. It works very well for music. I don't accept many phone calls on the bike, but the audio quality for both parties in the conversation has been acceptable, due to the noise cancelling. The caller will not hear engine or wind noise, as it cuts your outgoing audio completely unless you're talking. Buttons are easy to use with gloved hands, easy volume up / down. Sound quality for music is good, loudness is acceptable at all speeds, even on my naked bike. On the RT of course it's better, less wind. The age old issue is, if your friends have a Sena, it'll be a slight PIA to connect. I have found a way, but haven't tried with more than 2 riders. On a group ride with several Cardo's, it's flawless. Can even play your music and still hear all parties on the ride. Definitely recommend. I'm fairly certain the Slim has most, if not all, of these features. And your JBL speakers will be even better. I've heard they aren't necessarily louder, but are more clear. My 2 cents.

#17 ·
Yes, the Slim has the same MESH system as the Bold so you can link up to both.

There are no technical differences between the Bold and the Slim, just the location of the battery.

#20 ·
I am also looking at moving from Sena after 9 yrs.

Has anyone had experience with connecting the Cardo Paktalk to a SENA SM10, have as part of the change I made using an Audio bridge fed from the RT speakers..
Thanks

#23 ·
I have a similar plan but with a newer SENA unit. Any feedback is appreciated.

#25 ·
I just received the Freedom 1+ with passenger unit for Xmas. My helmet was too small to include speakers so a new helmet was in order. For lightness and A shell that has ear holes for positioning the speakers I found a well made helmet called the LS2. It has the ratched style helmet strap lock and surprising light for a modular. JUST don't buy it from MC Powersports - a third party seller on Amazon unless you are sure of your size. They are problematic taking anything back for return or exchange. I measure 22.4 across the crown and that correlates to size medium. It runs small. They would not exchange without me paying shipping both ways which I have been quoted by UPS as $39 each way. Making that cost too much as the price of the helmet was on sale for $109. By the time I pay for restocking to return or freight both ways it outweighs the cost of the helmet so I will either sell it or carve up the interior to facilitate a better fit for me. I need a large from LS2 company. If you order one, look to a larger size as they run small. YMMV From testing the Cardo unit works very well with bluetooth phone/radio/ipod so far!

#28 ·
I looked for in helmet speakers before changing my Com units. We had Cardo Q2s. So when i bit the bullet and purchased a Packtalk Bold set, I didn't install the JBL speakers as the ones in my helmet already fit without bothering my ears and ruining the comfort. They work just fine. I'm riding a R1100RT with totally stock engine. fairly quiet bike. The system can easily get louder than I want to hear. Dialog is easy to understand and music is good. (I rarely listen to music as it can lull me to sleep.) I'm able to play my podcasts through the Packtalk unit and turn to turn instructions from my phone's routing system works well too.

#30 ·
Farther information. Last weekend, my Son, owner of a Packtalk Slim, and I, owner of a Packtalk bold, went riding and had no problem talking between the two units in Mesh Mode. There were some issues with getting them to pair up, but once we got that squared away, it’s been smooth sailing.

#31 ·
. . . Are there any owners out there with feedback on the unit? Happy for any info. TIA.
I bought the SLIM a month or so after it was released. I just prefer it's sleek design as compared to the BOLD model. . . . . however if I had two helmets (say one for a dirt bike and another for my RT) I would have bought the BOLD unit as it would be simpler to transfer between helmets.

Yes it is expensive but you can't go wrong. I love the voice-command capability of the Cardo.

#32 ·
I bought a 2 pack of slims! At first, I thought I'd use one for each of my helmets, but mounting it on my AGV helmet was just awful and the helmet is so danged loud, I can't use helmet speakers anyway, so I took it out and just use the AGV with earplugs on my sport bike. In the meantime, after 3 years, the one I had in my C3 stopped working. No warranty work without a receipt, which I could not find. I'm using the AGV intended unit in the C3 now and I'm glad I bought the 2-pack. ...of course, I could be sporting the new Edge now if I'd only bought one Slim. Regardless, it all works pretty well.

I gave up on pairing the helmet through the TFT. Not worth it. When I just pair direct to the phone, I can use verbal Hey Cardo commands to adjust volume, change songs etc. Also, if I turn the bike off, I don't have to go through a bunch of steps to get the tunes back on. I don't use sound for GPS. Map is plenty for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.