• 2 Post By casbar
  • 1 Post By OD4444
  • 1 Post By powwow
  • 1 Post By scottydawg
  • 1 Post By JStrube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Any Cardo Packtalk Slim Owners?

I am in the market for a headset that will interface well with my RT and became interested in the Cardo Packtalk Slim with JBL speakers. This is my first headset so all I have to go on are reviews at this point. Are there any owners out there with feedback on the unit? Happy for any info. TIA.
Geoff c likes this.

OD
'17 R1200 RT

Gone but not forgotten:

Gemini 80
Hodaka 100 Road Toad
Kawasaki KX 80
Suzuki Intruder 800
Yamaha FZ-09
HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Garage
Re: Any Cardo Packtalk Slim Owners?

I just installed the Packtalk Slim w/JBL onto my Shoei GT-Air, which had previously been outfitted with a Sena 20S Evo. The installation was pretty straightforward, though their guide doesn't do a very good job of describing how the clamps are used with the battery pack (you also need to go online to determine with size clamp to use). I eventually decided to use the adapter piece designed for an HJC helmet to lock the clamp onto the battery pack. The rest of the installation was super easy

The JBL speakers sound VERY nice. I had previously upgraded my Sena 20S speakers with UClear speakers. I thought those sounded pretty good... the JBL sounds much better. The voice control works great for controlling my iPhone audio or the built-in radio (which has fairly decent reception compared to other comm units I've owned).

The control buttons on the Slim are fairly easy to discern, once you've had a chance to fiddle with them and get used to how the upper and lower buttons feel with a glove. I have yet to link the intercom with anyone else's comm unit, but expect it to perform adequately using bluetooth for short distances. The Cardo app works well for basic set-up, and looks to be great for setting up intercom groupings and/or buddy lists. I don't typically link up with multiple riders in a large group... usually just my wife on the intercom or a single buddy on a bike in close proximity. I won't reap the benefit of the mesh DMC until I find some friends with Cardo units.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, and with the 25% MOA discount, I was happy to not pay full price. I was fed up with my Sena 20S which had glitchy volume issues, and would crap-out whenever I rode in heavy rain.
post #3 of 27 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 10:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwilliams55 View Post
I just installed the Packtalk Slim w/JBL onto my Shoei GT-Air, which had previously been outfitted with a Sena 20S Evo. The installation was pretty straightforward, though their guide doesn't do a very good job of describing how the clamps are used with the battery pack (you also need to go online to determine with size clamp to use). I eventually decided to use the adapter piece designed for an HJC helmet to lock the clamp onto the battery pack. The rest of the installation was super easy

The JBL speakers sound VERY nice. I had previously upgraded my Sena 20S speakers with UClear speakers. I thought those sounded pretty good... the JBL sounds much better. The voice control works great for controlling my iPhone audio or the built-in radio (which has fairly decent reception compared to other comm units I've owned).

The control buttons on the Slim are fairly easy to discern, once you've had a chance to fiddle with them and get used to how the upper and lower buttons feel with a glove. I have yet to link the intercom with anyone else's comm unit, but expect it to perform adequately using bluetooth for short distances. The Cardo app works well for basic set-up, and looks to be great for setting up intercom groupings and/or buddy lists. I don't typically link up with multiple riders in a large group... usually just my wife on the intercom or a single buddy on a bike in close proximity. I won't reap the benefit of the mesh DMC until I find some friends with Cardo units.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, and with the 25% MOA discount, I was happy to not pay full price. I was fed up with my Sena 20S which had glitchy volume issues, and would crap-out whenever I rode in heavy rain.
Thanks for the info.
Geoff c likes this.

OD
'17 R1200 RT

Gone but not forgotten:

Gemini 80
Hodaka 100 Road Toad
Kawasaki KX 80
Suzuki Intruder 800
Yamaha FZ-09
HD Road King

post #4 of 27 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 3:01 am

I have a Packtalk Bold, not the same as the slim, but same software. It all works brilliantly. I do use the DMC mesh network for riding with mates and I also use it for intercom between me and my pillion. Again all works very well.
Geoff c and OD4444 like this.
post #5 of 27 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

So to update everyone, I bought the Packtalk Slim. I needed to cut a small bit of trim of my helmet but after that the installation was pretty easy. I will have to modify the shell a little more as well, as the speaker pockets didn't line up to my ears well. I have the BMW audio system on my bike and did run into trouble getting my phone to stream to the headset with the recommended setup. I have read many posts about the best way to pair the unit to a bike with the audio system and the nav VI but didn't find any that resolved all the issues. As of now the only way I could get the phone, nav Vi and streaming (Pandora, etc) was to eliminate pairing with the bike's bluetooth. A few glitches and not ideal but it seems to work for the most part and the Packtalk has an FM radio onboard so not so bad. Since I never used one before I have nothing to compare it to but it's much better than what I had. I haven't tried the intercom connection yet as I only have one unit and haven't been riding. I will post the results of that when I have them.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom as to how to connect and make everything work perfectly I would like to hear it.

Thanks for the input!
Geoff c likes this.

OD
'17 R1200 RT

Gone but not forgotten:

Gemini 80
Hodaka 100 Road Toad
Kawasaki KX 80
Suzuki Intruder 800
Yamaha FZ-09
HD Road King
post #6 of 27 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:27 am

Garage

It might be a bit late as I noted the thread was in April. I have a Schuberth C4 helmet with the coms etc. I use a SC 1 as a remote control. I have had mobile calls and they have always been clear as a bell. The issue I have is that the system is basically a Sena unit developed in conjunction with the 2 companies and I have never been happy with the settings to use the coms and a few other things as they are not easy to hear the pairing modes etc. I wear hearing aids normally so that it is not possible to wear them with the helmet on, due to the fact when taking the helmet off the hearing aids go flying through the air lol. So I have had to be researching coms units and helmets with coms incorporated in them. I love the comfort of the Schuberth with the speakers as they have never put any pressure on my ears the helmet is one of the most comfortable helmets I have ever owned. But doing all the research that I normally do along with watching so many YouTube reviews I think I will be happy with the Cardo Packtalk single unit as I don't take passengers on my bike. From everything I have found so far the Cardo has come a long way with ease of use and pairing, the voice control seems to be way better than the Sena and the new JBL speakers seem to be a winner from all the reviews. They certainly look slim enough to be comfortable in the helmet without being a pain like the Sena S20 was in in my last helmet. I mainly use the system for music, but it is nice to be able to take a phone call when needed to. My issue is that with the Schuberth I would have to buy a new helmet also. I don't mind that as mine is getting on and about 3 years old at this time. So now I am looking at a full face modular helmet that is light comfortable to allow both the comfort and ability to use the Cardo Packtalk in that helmet. I have owned Shoei Neotec and Shark Evo 3 also I have had a BMW Systems helmets in the past but at the moment I am leaning towards a Bell SRT to enable me to use the Cardo system. I would like any feedback from anyone using the Bell helmets with or without a coms unit. Or any other recommendations on a light helmet that they use would be great thanks. My main concern is to end up with a light helmet that I can integrate the Cardo Packtalk without being uncomfortable or major mods to the helmet.
Looking forward to hearing back before I jump into a new helmet and spend a heap of dollars on something that I won't like wearing. The Schuberth works and feels nice on long trips but is getting on in age, plus I am not a fan of the Sena system in this helmet, although I can basically use it for what I would use the new Cardo for but with a better voice control like the Cardo has ,they seem to be one of the best units around at the moment and come a long way from what they use to be.

Past bikes, 2013 Victory Cross Roads, 2016 R1200RT then 2017 K1600GTL 2018 then a 2019 Indian Road Master before buying another 2019 R1250RT Shift Cam in Oct. 2019 with Top Box / Fog Lights.
post #7 of 27 Old Dec 1st, 2019, 1:52 pm

Garage

I'm about to jump ship from Sena for the PAK TALK Bold. Does anyone know if you can use ear buds with this unit?

Much older Jap bikes and HD's
Most recent:
2006 HD Street Glide
2009 HD Street Glide
2006 FJR
2006FJR
2013 KLR650
2015 BMW R1200RT
post #8 of 27 Old Dec 1st, 2019, 4:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
I'm about to jump ship from Sena for the PAK TALK Bold. Does anyone know if you can use ear buds with this unit?
Yes, you can. There is a 3.5mm plug that you either use for your ear buds or for the included JBL speakers that you install in the helmet.
pkpr1998 likes this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 27 Old Dec 1st, 2019, 5:34 pm

Garage

THANKS! I will now buy them :-)

Much older Jap bikes and HD's
Most recent:
2006 HD Street Glide
2009 HD Street Glide
2006 FJR
2006FJR
2013 KLR650
2015 BMW R1200RT
post #10 of 27 Old Dec 1st, 2019, 8:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I really like the Packtalk unit. It's reliable and the sound is great (I also used mine with in-ear monitors). I did a two week trip with 3 buddies this summer through CO, WY and MT and we all had the Packtalk on our helmets. The mesh system worked beautifully.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2019, 1:25 pm

The guys I ride with are considering moving from the Sena 20s to the PackTalk Bold with JBL speakers. My concern is that with my Schuberth C4, the JBL speakers, since they are larger, will be too tight against my noggin. With the 3.5 mm plug I guess I could do without the JBL speakers. Has anyone tried the JBL's and can comment on the size, fit?
post #12 of 27 Old Dec 10th, 2019, 9:55 am

I just upgraded my Cardo Freecom 2 to a Freecom 2+ with the JBL speakers. In my Shoei Neotec there is plenty of room for the speakers. In fact, you want to have them tight up against your ears for best sound. Compared to the original Freecom speakers, the JBL's are a major improvement in sound. Better bass, smoother mid range, less fatiguing at highway speeds. There are some little velcro spacer pads included with the kit to get the speakers tighter to your ears if you have speaker indentations in your helmet. Freecom units don't have the voice activation feature, but do have a decent radio and will do rider-passenger and rider-rider close range connection, which is all I need. I haven't bothered to pair to my 2013 RT as I figure the in-helmet sound is going to be better than the speakers anyway. Pairing to my iphone was easy.
post #13 of 27 Old Dec 10th, 2019, 11:39 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
If you are mainly going to use the Cardo with earphones I have a little trick on how to set up the plug. Just run one zip tie around the base and then two zip ties around the plug and the first zip tie. Makes it very sturdy and handy for plugging and unplugging your earphones. If you have a 3D printer I can send you link for the second option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ziptie.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	155263   Click image for larger version

Name:	646dd3c3a5054c3c312e247c91869ad0_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	155265  
Bighopper likes this.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #14 of 27 Old Dec 14th, 2019, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravaldez View Post
The guys I ride with are considering moving from the Sena 20s to the PackTalk Bold with JBL speakers. My concern is that with my Schuberth C4, the JBL speakers, since they are larger, will be too tight against my noggin. With the 3.5 mm plug I guess I could do without the JBL speakers. Has anyone tried the JBL's and can comment on the size, fit?
Go on their website and it will tell you which of the helmets are a good fit for either the Bold or the Slim Units
Was thinking about getting away from my new SRL (Shoei Neotec 2) that doesn't have a 3.5 jack and the battery life sucks! Didn't see the N2 on their website when checking compatibility by my local dealer said they could make it work
Haven't purchased the set yet but the Cardo Units are on my radar!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 27 Old Dec 14th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD4444 View Post
I am in the market for a headset that will interface well with my RT and became interested in the Cardo Packtalk Slim with JBL speakers. This is my first headset so all I have to go on are reviews at this point. Are there any owners out there with feedback on the unit? Happy for any info. TIA.
I have the Packtalk Bold, which is similar, although I bought it before the JBL speaker option was available. It works very well for music. I don't accept many phone calls on the bike, but the audio quality for both parties in the conversation has been acceptable, due to the noise cancelling. The caller will not hear engine or wind noise, as it cuts your outgoing audio completely unless you're talking. Buttons are easy to use with gloved hands, easy volume up / down. Sound quality for music is good, loudness is acceptable at all speeds, even on my naked bike. On the RT of course it's better, less wind. The age old issue is, if your friends have a Sena, it'll be a slight PIA to connect. I have found a way, but haven't tried with more than 2 riders. On a group ride with several Cardo's, it's flawless. Can even play your music and still hear all parties on the ride. Definitely recommend. I'm fairly certain the Slim has most, if not all, of these features. And your JBL speakers will be even better. I've heard they aren't necessarily louder, but are more clear. My 2 cents.

2007 BMW R1200R
2005 BMW R1200RT
2004 Honda VTX 1300c (sold)
1983 Honda CX650c (sold)
post #16 of 27 Old Dec 17th, 2019, 10:53 am

so 2 questions about the Packtalk Slim.

First, will it work in mesh, full function with the Bold? Are there any limitations using the slim with others who use the bold?

Second is the 25% off, is this on full retail?
post #17 of 27 Old Dec 17th, 2019, 11:33 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
so 2 questions about the Packtalk Slim.

First, will it work in mesh, full function with the Bold? Are there any limitations using the slim with others who use the bold?

Second is the 25% off, is this on full retail?
Yes, the Slim has the same MESH system as the Bold so you can link up to both.

There are no technical differences between the Bold and the Slim, just the location of the battery.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #18 of 27 Old Dec 17th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Garage

And the Slim has the status light on the battery where it will shine in your passengers eyes at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg View Post
Yes, the Slim has the same MESH system as the Bold so you can link up to both.

There are no technical differences between the Bold and the Slim, just the location of the battery.

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

post #19 of 27 Old Dec 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm

I chose the SLIM; I bought it for the voice-command ability. I never touch any buttons other than to turn the unit on/off.
post #20 of 27 Old Dec 19th, 2019, 10:55 am

I am also looking at moving from Sena after 9 yrs.

Has anyone had experience with connecting the Cardo Paktalk to a SENA SM10, have as part of the change I made using an Audio bridge fed from the RT speakers..
Thanks

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #21 of 27 Old Dec 26th, 2019, 11:11 am

Quote:
If you are mainly going to use the Cardo with earphones I have a little trick on how to set up the plug. Just run one zip tie around the base and then two zip ties around the plug and the first zip tie. Makes it very sturdy and handy for plugging and unplugging your earphones. If you have a 3D printer I can send you link for the second option.
Scott, I would be interested in that file. My son has a 3D printer, I could ask him to make me a couple. Santa brought me a set of Packtalk Bold communicators!

Thanks,

John.
post #22 of 27 Old Dec 26th, 2019, 11:52 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
Scott, I would be interested in that file. My son has a 3D printer, I could ask him to make me a couple. Santa brought me a set of Packtalk Bold communicators!

Thanks,

John.

I will attach a few photos. One of my zip tie method and a couple of the 3D print method. What kind of earphones are you using? If you don't already have a pair I suggest checking out the ones that Marilyn makes at PlugUP: https://www.plugup.com/custom_made_e...budss_s/73.htm

Here is the link to the 3D Printer file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3598194
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ziptie.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	155379   Click image for larger version

Name:	646dd3c3a5054c3c312e247c91869ad0_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	155381   Click image for larger version

Name:	7b446d4c63571f0e13fd7c3c3d4c21f5_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	155383  

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

post #23 of 27 Old Dec 26th, 2019, 2:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper View Post
I am also looking at moving from Sena after 9 yrs.

Has anyone had experience with connecting the Cardo Paktalk to a SENA SM10, have as part of the change I made using an Audio bridge fed from the RT speakers..
Thanks
I have a similar plan but with a newer SENA unit. Any feedback is appreciated.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #24 of 27 Old Dec 27th, 2019, 10:51 am

Quote:
I will attach a few photos. One of my zip tie method and a couple of the 3D print method. What kind of earphones are you using? If you don't already have a pair I suggest checking out the ones that Marilyn makes at PlugUP: https://www.plugup.com/custom_made_e...budss_s/73.htm

Here is the link to the 3D Printer file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3598194
Thank you!

I sent the file to my son, who is out here in CA visiting... Dang it, go home son, print this for me!

I use a set of 2 driver hard molded plugs I got from the guy who was at Laguna Seca at the races a couple of years ago. I think it is the same guy who comes to all of the MOA rallies. Fit Ear. I use those plugs to mow the lawn, ride the motorcycle, love them.
scottydawg likes this.
post #25 of 27 Old Dec 27th, 2019, 11:14 am

I just received the Freedom 1+ with passenger unit for Xmas. My helmet was too small to include speakers so a new helmet was in order. For lightness and A shell that has ear holes for positioning the speakers I found a well made helmet called the LS2. It has the ratched style helmet strap lock and surprising light for a modular. JUST don't buy it from MC Powersports - a third party seller on Amazon unless you are sure of your size. They are problematic taking anything back for return or exchange. I measure 22.4 across the crown and that correlates to size medium. It runs small. They would not exchange without me paying shipping both ways which I have been quoted by UPS as $39 each way. Making that cost too much as the price of the helmet was on sale for $109. By the time I pay for restocking to return or freight both ways it outweighs the cost of the helmet so I will either sell it or carve up the interior to facilitate a better fit for me. I need a large from LS2 company. If you order one, look to a larger size as they run small. YMMV From testing the Cardo unit works very well with bluetooth phone/radio/ipod so far!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #26 of 27 Old Yesterday, 3:41 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
I have a similar plan but with a newer SENA unit. Any feedback is appreciated.
I got your PM, but don't have enough posts to respond. I'll get back to you in one more post

'18 R1200RT
'12 F650GS Twin
post #27 of 27 Old Yesterday, 3:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
And the Slim has the status light on the battery where it will shine in your passengers eyes at night.
My wife didn't notice it in the daylight, but I'll be adding a piece of electrical tape over it before we ride at night.

'18 R1200RT
'12 F650GS Twin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in