Any Cardo Packtalk Slim Owners? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By srwilliams55
  • 1 Post By casbar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Any Cardo Packtalk Slim Owners?

I am in the market for a headset that will interface well with my RT and became interested in the Cardo Packtalk Slim with JBL speakers. This is my first headset so all I have to go on are reviews at this point. Are there any owners out there with feedback on the unit? Happy for any info. TIA.

OD
'17 R1200 RT

Gone but not forgotten:

Gemini 80
Hodaka 100 Road Toad
Kawasaki KX 80
Suzuki Intruder 800
Yamaha FZ-09
HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Garage
Re: Any Cardo Packtalk Slim Owners?

I just installed the Packtalk Slim w/JBL onto my Shoei GT-Air, which had previously been outfitted with a Sena 20S Evo. The installation was pretty straightforward, though their guide doesn't do a very good job of describing how the clamps are used with the battery pack (you also need to go online to determine with size clamp to use). I eventually decided to use the adapter piece designed for an HJC helmet to lock the clamp onto the battery pack. The rest of the installation was super easy

The JBL speakers sound VERY nice. I had previously upgraded my Sena 20S speakers with UClear speakers. I thought those sounded pretty good... the JBL sounds much better. The voice control works great for controlling my iPhone audio or the built-in radio (which has fairly decent reception compared to other comm units I've owned).

The control buttons on the Slim are fairly easy to discern, once you've had a chance to fiddle with them and get used to how the upper and lower buttons feel with a glove. I have yet to link the intercom with anyone else's comm unit, but expect it to perform adequately using bluetooth for short distances. The Cardo app works well for basic set-up, and looks to be great for setting up intercom groupings and/or buddy lists. I don't typically link up with multiple riders in a large group... usually just my wife on the intercom or a single buddy on a bike in close proximity. I won't reap the benefit of the mesh DMC until I find some friends with Cardo units.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, and with the 25% MOA discount, I was happy to not pay full price. I was fed up with my Sena 20S which had glitchy volume issues, and would crap-out whenever I rode in heavy rain.
OD4444 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2019, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwilliams55 View Post
I just installed the Packtalk Slim w/JBL onto my Shoei GT-Air, which had previously been outfitted with a Sena 20S Evo. The installation was pretty straightforward, though their guide doesn't do a very good job of describing how the clamps are used with the battery pack (you also need to go online to determine with size clamp to use). I eventually decided to use the adapter piece designed for an HJC helmet to lock the clamp onto the battery pack. The rest of the installation was super easy

The JBL speakers sound VERY nice. I had previously upgraded my Sena 20S speakers with UClear speakers. I thought those sounded pretty good... the JBL sounds much better. The voice control works great for controlling my iPhone audio or the built-in radio (which has fairly decent reception compared to other comm units I've owned).

The control buttons on the Slim are fairly easy to discern, once you've had a chance to fiddle with them and get used to how the upper and lower buttons feel with a glove. I have yet to link the intercom with anyone else's comm unit, but expect it to perform adequately using bluetooth for short distances. The Cardo app works well for basic set-up, and looks to be great for setting up intercom groupings and/or buddy lists. I don't typically link up with multiple riders in a large group... usually just my wife on the intercom or a single buddy on a bike in close proximity. I won't reap the benefit of the mesh DMC until I find some friends with Cardo units.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, and with the 25% MOA discount, I was happy to not pay full price. I was fed up with my Sena 20S which had glitchy volume issues, and would crap-out whenever I rode in heavy rain.
Thanks for the info.

OD
'17 R1200 RT

Gone but not forgotten:

Gemini 80
Hodaka 100 Road Toad
Kawasaki KX 80
Suzuki Intruder 800
Yamaha FZ-09
HD Road King

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 2:01 am

I have a Packtalk Bold, not the same as the slim, but same software. It all works brilliantly. I do use the DMC mesh network for riding with mates and I also use it for intercom between me and my pillion. Again all works very well.
OD4444 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 17th, 2019, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

So to update everyone, I bought the Packtalk Slim. I needed to cut a small bit of trim of my helmet but after that the installation was pretty easy. I will have to modify the shell a little more as well, as the speaker pockets didn't line up to my ears well. I have the BMW audio system on my bike and did run into trouble getting my phone to stream to the headset with the recommended setup. I have read many posts about the best way to pair the unit to a bike with the audio system and the nav VI but didn't find any that resolved all the issues. As of now the only way I could get the phone, nav Vi and streaming (Pandora, etc) was to eliminate pairing with the bike's bluetooth. A few glitches and not ideal but it seems to work for the most part and the Packtalk has an FM radio onboard so not so bad. Since I never used one before I have nothing to compare it to but it's much better than what I had. I haven't tried the intercom connection yet as I only have one unit and haven't been riding. I will post the results of that when I have them.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom as to how to connect and make everything work perfectly I would like to hear it.

Thanks for the input!

OD
'17 R1200 RT

Gone but not forgotten:

Gemini 80
Hodaka 100 Road Toad
Kawasaki KX 80
Suzuki Intruder 800
Yamaha FZ-09
HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in