CB Installation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Question CB Installation

I'm installing a $BMW$ CB on my 06LT and have encountered my first problem. The lower right side bar tupperware has a neat opening for additional cables but the left side where the CB mounts does not. Has anyone else dealt with this and can offer a suggestion? Is there a replacement for the lower piece of plastic that has a molded opening like the right side? There's a lot of cable to stuff in there and I'm reluctant to start cutting up the plastic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 3:43 pm

whooaaa

Put that saw away, and the hammer also We can help.
Explain to us what you mean by lower side bar?
Are you talking about the handlebars?
Where are you mounting the CB?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

The handlebars are each encolsed by an upper and lower molded plastic cover. The lower piece on the right side has a molded entrance near the grip for what I assume are additional cables or wires for accessories that might be added in this location. However, the left handlebar grip area has no such molded opening and this is where the CB mounts. It is mounted on a bracket that is attached to the clutch fluid reservoir. I can see no way to install the CB cables without either cutting an opening in the upper or lower cover or by replacing the lower cover with one having a molded opening like the right side.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 8:56 pm

I just took off the plastic to install my radar detector. Lots of room. Two screws.

Hulkster 2002 BMW K1200LTE "Hulkster Green"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Most of us here including myself have had our handlebar covers off many times, just two screws.
You can mount the CB or anything else in a dozen different places,
The clutch mount is only one of them, some have cut pieces out of their covers for various reasons.
there's more than enough room in there for a power and CB antenna cable.
I currently have 3 wires for the XM and 2 for the radar amplifier plus 3 more for the PTT switch in the left side alone and one of them is an 18 ft XM antenna wire looped back and forth at least ten times.

There are others here that have already done what you're trying to accomplish,
you might try using the search feature or look under accesories and gadjet forum here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #6 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 7:07 am

That molded piece on the lower right handlebar cover is for the older style throttle cable routing. You won't find a similar piece for the left side.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by javandyke
I'm installing a $BMW$ CB on my 06LT and have encountered my first problem. The lower right side bar tupperware has a neat opening for additional cables but the left side where the CB mounts does not. Has anyone else dealt with this and can offer a suggestion? Is there a replacement for the lower piece of plastic that has a molded opening like the right side? There's a lot of cable to stuff in there and I'm reluctant to start cutting up the plastic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
As you have indicated, the CB cables are too large to fit through the small space at the end of the bar cover up near the clutch reservoir. What most of us have done is to use a dremel or similar tool with a sanding drum to create a neat and clean opening through which to route the cables.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 7:26 am

Without hijacking this thread …
SilverBuffalo, what is a “radar amplifier” used for on a motorcycle?

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
Without hijacking this thread …
SilverBuffalo, what is a “radar amplifier” used for on a motorcycle?
I use it to amplify the "sound" coming from my detector.
You're able to hardwire a detector into the comm system on the LT's
But on a 2005 this only works when the comm system is turned "on"

With a Valentine there is an additional accessory available
that you can use to plug a headphone jack into,
I substituted that for an amplified speaker,

At full volume everyone around me can hear my detector,
I've found this to be very useful when riding with bikes that don't have detectors
and also when you're passing an 18 wheeler or a Harley with straight pipes
here's the post:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14399

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #10 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all who've replied. It looks like I'll be cutting an opening for the antenna and connecting cables. Can anyone who's done this suggest the optimum place, upper, lower, etc. and is there anything in particular to watch out for? I don't want to screw this up.
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 3:44 pm

With all of the issues people are having with trying to get a decent ground for the antenna, I would stick with the cb's small antenna. A majority with cb's get a loud squeeling noise when trying to transmit. This is caused by the antenna.
Just my .02

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #12 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by javandyke
Thanks to all who've replied. It looks like I'll be cutting an opening for the antenna and connecting cables. Can anyone who's done this suggest the optimum place, upper, lower, etc. and is there anything in particular to watch out for? I don't want to screw this up.
If you've got a choice I'd say go for the lower one it's a lot less visible
You'll do allright, just take your time.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #13 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Apparently someone at BMW has been listening. My radio and antenna are the latest version (according to my dealer) and there are a number of grounding instructions provided along with all the necessary hardware. There are two separate ground wires from the antenna mount that are connected back to the fuse block mounting bracket and another ground from the radio to the Voice II chassis, all with star washers. Specific instructions indicate that all ground wires are to be made to bare metal (scrape the paint). There is also a filter installed in the power line. Hopefully all these things will work to resolve previous problems. I'll report back here when I've completed and tested my installation.
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

The CB is installed! It turned out to be quite a project but all went well. I had to remove a lot of plastic parts to get at the necessary underpinnings to install the antenna and radio, what a chore. I was able to notch the lower handlebar cover near the grip to slip the cables inside. The kit supplied by BMW has not been completely updated for the '06 and I had to do some improvising on the sense line for the power relay, but other than that it went without a hitch.

I have not had a chance to road test it, but sitting in the garage it seems to work well. I hear the truckers on the interstate about 5 miles away and transmission to another CB here at the house is clear on low power. High power seems to introduce a slight feedback which I am hoping will be cleared up with the new lower headset cables mentioned by another poster. The tests were done without the motor running so they are incomplete at this time. I will not start the engine unless I can run it to temperature so it will be awhile as the weather here has turned unfriendly.
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Hooray!

I just received my new lower cord today, the one recommended in the "you will also need" portion of CB radio documentation and by others on this forum. It has completely cured the feedback problem. Transmissions are now full quieting.

The new cord does not look any different than the one it replaces but it has a different identifier band that has the letters "ZWX" on it. The radio now seems to work as well as any CB I've ever owned. It has still not been road tested, but confidence is high.

I'm currently a happy fella!

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in