Wired / Wireless intercom? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mtrevelino

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 27th, 2018, 4:30 am Thread Starter

Garage
Wired / Wireless intercom?

Good morning,

The time has come to consider replacing my aging Sena SMH10. While it has given significantly better performance than the Scala Rider G4, the battery life is not what it used to be, and it is not connecting always nicely with my GPS. (I think it has more to do with the disparity between the Bluetooth versions than anything else.)

I have narrowed my choice to either wired (Autocom) or Wireless (Sena 30K, or 20S)

This post is totally about which should I choose, both systems have advantages and disadvantages. I am aware of a number of them (listed below), as I previously had an Autocom system. This was before it could be inbuilt into the bike. I am favouring the Autocom system mainly as on a couple of long rides with my wife, I ended up without being able to talk to her and hear the GPS instructions.

My requests are to all those that have a mounted, wired system;
1) Where do you have the connectors for rider & passenger? I would be grateful for any photos showing the location. (Ideally on a 1200RT, but I can use the ideas of other touring bikes.)
2) I am using the Zumo 595 GPS, are there connection issues? Is there anything I should know / concerned about before purchasing the Autocom system? The zumo cabling has the wired connectors.

I have a 2010 1200RT without radio or onboard audio.
Advantages of Wired:
1) No power issues
2) When correctly set up unlimited power to the speakers
3) Instant & reliable connection
4) Once setup, works without adjustments.
Disadvantages of wired
1) Care when mounting / dismounting the bike
2) No long distance reach with passenger. (Was useful once in a shop for supplies )
3) Problematic when changing bikes
Advantages of Wireless:
The reverse of Wired
If anyone has either comments of going from wireless to wired, or on using wired on modern bikes, or on additional advantages / disadvantages, or on a related wired / wireless issue, it would greatly help me focus my decision.

The final decision is mine, and mine alone but helping me to focus on the answers will be very useful.

Thanks for your comments

I will also be posting this on the following forums: www.1200rt.com, and www.zumouserforums.co.uk

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Last edited by Sleuth; Oct 27th, 2018 at 4:38 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 27th, 2018, 7:30 am

Re: Wired / Wireless intercom?

My personal preference would be to go with the Autocom. You can attach what you want to it and do not have to worry about pairing anything with bluetooth. During my 2000 LT's 10-year lifetime, I had two different Autocom systems installed. The first was a Autocom 3000 (?), then after 5-years, I upgraded to a Autocom Pro-M1 system. I was able to connect anything I wanted without spending big dollars.

My RT came with the BMW system, which is a re-branded J&M system. It is very basic but came with a cb radio. I did contact J&M to ask what would be required in order for me to receive Cell calls. They wanted to sell me a $500 adapted. I never upgraded. I can say that the J&M system has better sound then the Autocom system, but that is the only positive thing I can say about it.

As for the cords, attached is a picture that shows the drivers connector, 12V plug for my battery tender, and the passenger connector. Usually when my wife is with me, I wait until she is on the bike and I plug in her headset.

The Sena 20s has been temping, but I do not ride enough to justify it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intercom Cords.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	148435  
Patric and Sleuth like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 29th, 2018, 2:50 am Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Wired / Wireless intercom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
My personal preference would be to go with the Autocom. You can attach what you want to it and do not have to worry about pairing anything with bluetooth. During my 2000 LT's 10-year lifetime, I had two different Autocom systems installed. The first was a Autocom 3000 (?), then after 5-years, I upgraded to a Autocom Pro-M1 system. I was able to connect anything I wanted without spending big dollars.

My RT came with the BMW system, which is a re-branded J&M system. It is very basic but came with a cb radio. I did contact J&M to ask what would be required in order for me to receive Cell calls. They wanted to sell me a $500 adapted. I never upgraded. I can say that the J&M system has better sound then the Autocom system, but that is the only positive thing I can say about it.

As for the cords, attached is a picture that shows the drivers connector, 12V plug for my battery tender, and the passenger connector. Usually when my wife is with me, I wait until she is on the bike and I plug in her headset.

The Sena 20s has been temping, but I do not ride enough to justify it.
Thanks very much for the picture and comments. This is exactly what I was looking for. That Autocom / wired intercom is capable of connecting to new GPS without an issue.

Best reagrds
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in