Starcom 1 Advance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Starcom 1 Advance

Is anyone using a Starcom 1 Advance system on their K1200? If so how is the quality of sound? How do you hook it up? Are there anycables that need to be bought for install?

Darryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 1:05 pm

I've used the Starcom1 system for a year now. Sound quality is excellent. I have rider to pillion, GPS and cellphone tied in (stereo headphones for music are against the law in this state) and it works flawlessly.
I added the helmet jacks in the bodywork, just to make it easier to plug in and there are no annoying pillion cables flapping around when I'm riding solo. I got the proper cables for the GPS and phone right from Starcom1, and have since added a cable for a two-way radio and a PTT button.
Setup is explained very well in the instruction manual that comes with the unit. You'll have to spend a little time playing with volume and squelch settings, so keep that in mind when you consider your mounting location (mine is on top of the left side bag).
The Starcom1 Advanced adds a few nice bells and whistles, but basically performs the same. Don't buy direct from Starcom1 in England! California Sport Touring sells the same setup for a lot less money.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
Is anyone using a Starcom 1 Advance system on their K1200? If so how is the quality of sound? How do you hook it up? Are there any cables that need to be bought for install?
Quality of sound depends on the exact position of the helmet speakers. Just a little off centre and all the low frequency vanishes, which is the reverse of what would be expected. (High frequencies are more directional).

Connecting up is straightforward . Unit sits on top of the battery clamp for now, held in a large cable tie. I have the passenger line coming out under the seat and the driver port is at the nose of the seat. I do have some concerns about the tight fit of the connectors. On the system I built myself on a R100RT, I used full size 5 pin DIN plugs that would come apart much more easily, meaning less chance of snapping your neck in an accident!

Connecting cables... Now this is interesting. Just about anything you want to connect to it, powered by the bike, will need an isolated lead. Battery or adapter powered should be OK.

When I get the installation neatened up, I will take some pics and post a "howto"

Andy

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Question Starcom 1

Is it not possible to use the existing headset jacks with the Starcom 1 Advance? Or even the factory cd/radio? They both work extremely well I just need better rider to pillion communication.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
Is it not possible to use the existing headset jacks with the Starcom 1 Advance?
The driver and passenger headset cables are captive in the Starcomm. The radio unit is connected into the Starcomm via an isolated lead. I took mine from under the rear set, connected into the rear speaker feed. That means you can use the fade control to vary the volume presented to the Starcomm. In my installation, it revealed a problem with the rear speaker amplifiers. The headsets are not bad quality.

Try the mating strength of the connectors and maybe modify them a little?

Another point is to make the helmet end of the cable strong. What you dont want is the headset ripping out of the helmet if you forget you are connected!

No reason I can see why you shouldn't use your existing headset, but you are likely to have to make up adapters.

Andy
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the INFO guys...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in