CB For K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 1:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

CB For K1200LT

My apologies if this has been asked before. I have searched to no avail. Has any one used or does any one know if the J & M JMCB-2003 handle bar CB will plug into and work as the cb for the VOICE Comm II?

Any additional adapters or wiring changes needed?

As J & M is the supplier of the BMW CB and a prior Comm system they understandably said they had no hook up for the German Voice Com. I have a FRS/GMRS that works well and the PTT is also installed. Just hate spending ~$600.00 for the BMW CB and Antenna....

Any other suggestions??

Thanks
Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
My apologies if this has been asked before. I have searched to no avail. Has any one used or does any one know if the J & M JMCB-2003 handle bar CB will plug into and work as the cb for the VOICE Comm II?

Any additional adapters or wiring changes needed?

As J & M is the supplier of the BMW CB and a prior Comm system they understandably said they had no hook up for the German Voice Com. I have a FRS/GMRS that works well and the PTT is also installed. Just hate spending ~$600.00 for the BMW CB and Antenna....

Any other suggestions??

Thanks
Gene
I could be wrong but I don't believe the J&M bagded CB radio is plug and play compatible with the VOICE II. However since I've been known to be wrong once or twice I would suggest a call either directly to J&M or Sierra Electronics. Ask them the question and I'm sue they'll be happy to set you straight. By the way, I'd be interested to know what they tell you.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 3:01 pm

I don't know the answer to the original question but rather have a question of my own along the same lines.

I have the CB that came from BMW on my 02 LTE (Midland ) and I'm wondering if it would be compatible with the Voice CommII on my 05 LT.

My guess is that whomever can answer the first question can also answer this one .

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 11:05 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
I could be wrong but I don't believe the J&M bagded CB radio is plug and play compatible with the VOICE II. However since I've been known to be wrong once or twice I would suggest a call either directly to J&M or Sierra Electronics. Ask them the question and I'm sue they'll be happy to set you straight. By the way, I'd be interested to know what they tell you.
Thanks for the input from you and SB. I have contacted Sierra and will advise when I hear form them. My guess is yes with some possible tweaking.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:22 am

I've hooked a J&M 2003 to my VoiceII. I had to build a custom connection and I had to put filters inline with it. It works, mostly. I've got a bit of a squeal during transmitt that I haven't been able to totally eliminate. I'm hoping to get some time over the winter to tear it apart and redo from the ground up.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 1:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgoodchild
I've hooked a J&M 2003 to my VoiceII. I had to build a custom connection and I had to put filters inline with it. It works, mostly. I've got a bit of a squeal during transmitt that I haven't been able to totally eliminate. I'm hoping to get some time over the winter to tear it apart and redo from the ground up.

Thanks James. That is encouraging. I would think it a matter of matching the input wiring from the Voice II to the feed from the CB. But am concerned as to any booby traps BMW may have rigged to block such a hook up.
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen

Lynn, Sierra says no but for a couple hundred dollars difference I may go the way James did and deal with a little sqealing.....
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 7:39 am

I believe it is more than just matching the wiring. Without filters, the squealing was quite bad. Possible impendence mismatch for the mic. The speakers did work well right from the get go. Bob Weir's excellent work on isolation filters with the Radio Shack "little green transformers" was a life saver. If you want, I could dig out the cable connection diagram I built for this.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I believe it is more than just matching the wiring. Without filters, the squealing was quite bad. Possible impendence mismatch for the mic. The speakers did work well right from the get go. Bob Weir's excellent work on isolation filters with the Radio Shack "little green transformers" was a life saver. If you want, I could dig out the cable connection diagram I built for this.
James that would be fantastic. If you could so and email or fax it to me. I will pm my email address to you.

Thank youso much.
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:05 am

Quote:
James,
I too would be interested in the filter network that you built. I have the rebagded J&M unit that BMW sold back in '05 that was supposed to be compatible with the VOICE II. I've kind of given up on it. My problem is a squeel in the receiving radio when I transmit. Works OK when I receive transmissions from other radios. Perhaps I could adapt the filter(s) that you built and improve my results.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #11 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 1:14 pm

I went thru this with a switch from a 2000LT with the BC-3 and the JM CB that was installed when they came out in 04. Went to a 2003LT without a com system. Dealer could not get the BC-3 to work with the 03 radio...one plug was too large and would not allow the stingray mount properly. The Voice II would fit, but then the J&M CB would not mate up with the din plugs. J&M changed the din plug to match the VOICE II
Lowell
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:27 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would also be very interested in the diagram. I am in the same position as Lynn - I have the BMW/J&M unit that is supposed to work with the VOICE II.

Should I PM you with my email address?

Thanks
Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 11:18 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1mavin
I would also be very interested in the diagram. I am in the same position as Lynn - I have the BMW/J&M unit that is supposed to work with the VOICE II.

Should I PM you with my email address?

Thanks
Tim
When I get it i will pm you.
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Chance of getting in the information loop ?

I have a Bahre comm unit that squeels like crazy with my Midland CB ... so as a result, CB is not getting used.

Have the same trouble with my ICOM gmrs 2 way when used on the battery eliminator power adaptor.

Tried the Rat Shack ground loop eliminator, but radios PTT function locks on transmit when it was hooked up

So like a LOT of folks, A CB on an LT, is not a good thing

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in