2 bikes, 1 comm system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 9:19 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question 2 bikes, 1 comm system

I gots a 2000 K1200LTC and a 1998 R1100 GS.

I want to set both bikes up for intercom, using GPS, Cell phone, MP3, Radar dectector, CB/weather and FM/AM radio.

What would be the best set up that I could just move from bike to bike.

With my very limited knowledge in electronics I am unsure. I have looked at the J and M Integratr IV and it looks like I could move that from bike to bike with relative ease.

The Baehr systems look to be a permanent installation to each bike, and maybe I should bite the bullet and set both bikes up that way.

Any info from the electronic intelligencia would be appreciated. Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:01 pm

Garage
I have an Autocomm on my LT and am very happy with it. It should be fairly easy to move between bikes if you Velcro the main unit. You could probably use Velcro straps for the headset and other aux leads.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Intaride is my choice..

Check out Intaride. You can put it in a tankbag, it comes with both helmet riggings, can have some professional connections... etc... replacement helmet gear costs around $50...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:26 pm

I had an IntaRide RP-1 installed on my LT, and another on my Ninja, and was quite pleased with that setup. But your list of farkles that the intercom needs to support is rather exhaustive. Your biggest homework assignment is going to be finding a unit (or units) that will support GPS, Cell phone, MP3, Radar detector, CB/weather and FM/AM radio inputs. With that list, my mind instantly races to the Baehr, but they are a bit pricey. Not to mention buying TWO Baehr units. ChaChing!!!

Food for thought . . . I went round and round with this very issue when I had two bikes to outfit. I finally decided that one intercom system for both bikes just was not going to work in the real world. It takes long enough just to gear up for a ride...switch a few things like the GPS, FRS/GMRS radio, cell phone. Let alone having to move over an entire intercom system. Just doesn't sound like fun to me. I even had a powered tankbag all mapped out. In the end, I went with two separate units and was glad that I did.

Good luck buddy. I feel your pain.
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:14 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Intraride and Autocom......I will check them out. Thanks.

That said, I guess I will have to really look at how much I go from bike to bike during the riding season. The thought of just biting the bullet and buying 2 separate units is inviting, but the cost is what makes me hesitate.
Hmmmmm. I might have to work a little harder and a little longer. ChaChing!!
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:28 am

They no longer make the Intaride RP-1. The new EVO unit is digital and software controlled. I'm looking at that one real close. It has inputs for phone, music, gps and bike to bike. You could get a Beahr and move it from bike to bike or two Intaride intercomms and the radios and leave them in both bikes. Oh ya, and you could think about adding on blue tooth. So give a look at the EVO.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just helped another rider install the EVO on a board members' LT. Both he and his wife like the way it works.

It would be easy enough to mount in a "powered" bag like Joe mentioned...but then you must deal with theft issues with it being out in the open.

The way we installed the EVO, you can tuck all the wires out of view in about 2 seconds.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Autocom is on sale this month because of the CycleWorld shows, I am going to the dealer to buy the AV1Pro unit today, it's their top of the line and is a 100 bucks off for the sale. The 2-rider unit is $459 and thats with the speakers and mic's for 2 helmets.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in