Still Having PROBLEMS with Razr Phone Connection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Question Still Having PROBLEMS with Razr Phone Connection

Can anyone offer any suggestions? My 2006 K1200LT Comm System connects with my Verizon Razr phone - I can speak up to about 2 minutes - then it cuts me out and I can't talk with the other person on the other end of the call until THEY speak! Result: "in and out" conversations! We can't figure it out!

I'm connected by a mini-usb cable with a female adapter, then a male-to-male 2.5mm adapter that goes into the BMW comm system.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Gary Bowler
New York City

Gary Bowler
2006 K1200LT Magnesium Black
70 West 93rd St., #30E
New York, NY 10025-0012
(212) 222-6433

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:33 pm

What about your power off delay setting under car settings?

Should be 0.

Actually, what are all your settings under blue tooth, car settings, answer options, headset?

Brian Smith

2005 K1200LT
Canton, GA
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbs
What about your power off delay setting under car settings?

Should be 0.

Actually, what are all your settings under blue tooth, car settings, answer options, headset?
Hello Brian:

Thanks for the response! Are you assuming I'm connecting by Bluetooth with my GPS? My mobile is connected by a cord to the BMW comm system. Answer options on the phone are "auto answer". My headset has the traditional connection to the bike. Car settings? I'm sorry - I don't know what that means.

Let me know of any other settings I might need to adjust. Again, thanks for your time and help!

Gary Bowler
Mobile: 917 833 5104
[email protected]

Gary Bowler
2006 K1200LT Magnesium Black
70 West 93rd St., #30E
New York, NY 10025-0012
(212) 222-6433

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBowler
Hello Brian:

Thanks for the response! Are you assuming I'm connecting by Bluetooth with my GPS? My mobile is connected by a cord to the BMW comm system. Answer options on the phone are "auto answer". My headset has the traditional connection to the bike. Car settings? I'm sorry - I don't know what that means.

Let me know of any other settings I might need to adjust. Again, thanks for your time and help!

Gary Bowler
Mobile: 917 833 5104
[email protected]
Gary - I don't have the BMW comm system, so not sure about this suggestion. Wondering if there is a 'squelch' adjustment on your '06 comm system? My Autocomm system has a 'squelch' setting that is adjustable for ambient noise and 'mic' threshold trigger.

Just thinkin' outloud here; might check your comm booklet and see if they address that feature. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Re: Still Having PROBLEMS with Razr Phone Connection

Gary,
I'm finding the same problem but it seems to go away when the passenger is also plugged in.. I've tried all the settings and switches on the voiceII and after 2 minutes the music comes back an my voice won't stop it.

It's been a while, did you find a fix?

If no one has the right way to fix it, I think I'm going to make a dummy passenger dongle to plug into the rear socket and see what happens.

Richard

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Gary - I don't have the BMW comm system, so not sure about this suggestion. Wondering if there is a 'squelch' adjustment on your '06 comm system? My Autocomm system has a 'squelch' setting that is adjustable for ambient noise and 'mic' threshold trigger.

Just thinkin' outloud here; might check your comm booklet and see if they address that feature. Good luck.
With regard to ssquelch ettings on the Voice II, I think Dick may be on the right track. The closest thing to a squelch setting that I can see would be the mic level control for the Voice II. I was having problems with my Nokia phone until I adjusted the Voice II mic setting to "1". I think 1 is the most sensitive VOX setting as opposed to the higher numbers on the Voice II (which was my original mistake). If your phone behaves better at the 1 setting on the Voice II, you might want to play with slightly higher numbers because the person you are talking to on the phone may hear to much ambient noise at highway speeds.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #7 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:40 am

I think the problem is a design one. Maybe it's unique to the Razor, but I doubt it. Anyone able to ride solo, speak for longer than 2 minutes without the person on the other end responding, and not have the music cut into your conversation?

The vox is turned off with a solo rider, otherwise the music would stop every time you start singing along and it doesn't. When a solo rider use the phone the vox responses to the incoming voice, but still ignores the rider. It's hard to believe they missed that one, so there must be a setting we've missed.

The passenger plug dongle fixes the problem. 32 ohms between pin 1 and 2; 32 ohms between pin 4 and 5; 265ohms between pin 1 and 6. The VoiceII thinks there is a passenger and the vox always responds. Phone calls work perfectly. Singing however, is solo, since the music now stops when you start.

Richard Wright
'08 K1200LT Black
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdude
I think the problem is a design one. Maybe it's unique to the Razor, but I doubt it. Anyone able to ride solo, speak for longer than 2 minutes without the person on the other end responding, and not have the music cut into your conversation?

The passenger plug dongle fixes the problem. 32 ohms between pin 1 and 2; 32 ohms between pin 4 and 5; 265ohms between pin 1 and 6. The VoiceII thinks there is a passenger and the vox always responds. Phone calls work perfectly. Singing however, is solo, since the music now stops when you start.
Very Interesting! That seems to explain why my Nokia phone looses connection when I call my home to leave a message on my answering machine since my answering machine doesn't speak back (other than the opening greeting). Also, most of the time when I'm on a phone call, the caller does most of the talking: I usually only say "Yes, dear", or "huh". So maybe that is why my Nokia phone doesn't seem to loose connection. I'll have to do some further testing when I can get back in the saddle.

Do you have a schematic for the dongle you describe. Is it something that you plug into the passenger headset bulkhead jack?

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:52 pm

Yes, plug it into the passenger headset jack when riding alone.

Here's a the schematic. If you don't have the parts handy, I've got some extra din connectors. I'll make a dongle and mail it for $6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass sub dongle circuit.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	17149  

Richard Wright
'08 K1200LT Black

Last edited by Richdude; Mar 21st, 2008 at 12:58 pm.
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:18 pm

On further testing, only the resistor that replaces the mic is necessary. Any value from 200 to 2k ohms works.

Richard Wright
'08 K1200LT Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in