PTT Install for Voice II - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

PTT Install for Voice II

Has anyone installed PTT on a Voice II system?

What is needed?

I have an FRS radio using the comm system, but have to press the PTT switch on the FRS radio to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 1:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Description Checkout Price Qty Total
Rider - Push-to-Talk Switches
Item #: 99 00 0 001 530 - [In Stock] $64.00 1 $64.00
SubTotal: $64.00

The above is for the rider only. I installed it myself in about 20 minutes. Instructions come with it and the left handle bar is pre wired. Just take off the left handle bar tupper ware, screw the nut on the bolt provided and plug it in. All but the hand tools were in the package. Works perfectly. Ordered my thru Daytona BMW but any dealer or parts supplier should have or get you one.

I thought the above was the rider and the passenger.. not... Will order the passenger PTT later.
post #3 of 21 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
Description Checkout Price Qty Total
Rider - Push-to-Talk Switches
Item #: 99 00 0 001 530 - [In Stock] $64.00 1 $64.00
SubTotal: $64.00

The above is for the rider only. I installed it myself in about 20 minutes. Instructions come with it and the left handle bar is pre wired. Just take off the left handle bar tupper ware, screw the nut on the bolt provided and plug it in. All but the hand tools were in the package. Works perfectly. Ordered my thru Daytona BMW but any dealer or parts supplier should have or get you one.

I thought the above was the rider and the passenger.. not... Will order the passenger PTT later.
Can you post a photo of this? I have the Baehr PTT and don't care for the installation location choices it gives -- any flat surface. I'd like to have it mounted within range of my left hand's not having to leave the grip to use it, and I'd like it to be mounted so that it fits nicely on the curve of the grip -- like Autocom's PTT. Something factory-looking, you know?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

I will try to get a picture, but the button is on a plate that is machined especially for the LT. The mounting bolt goes thru an existing hole to the gripe end of the controls housing of the clutch handle assembly. This positions the PTT button just in front of your thumb at the bottom under your left turn signal button very convienent...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comsys_push-to-talk.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	8573  
post #5 of 21 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Voila!

Quote:
I will try to get a picture, but the button is on a plate that is machined especially for the LT. The mounting bolt goes thru an existing hole to the gripe end of the controls housing of the clutch handle assembly. This positions the PTT button just in front of your thumb at the bottom under your left turn signal button very convienent...
Gene, this is PERFECT -- exactly what I've been looking for. Some additional questions for you (or others):

1. Does it mount to the hole in the left handlebar that some of use for extra mirrors? If so, then I have to make a decision: RS mirrors on my LT, or a real usable PTT?
2. You said your handlebar was prewired. Was that part of the BMW intercom system?
3. I have a Baehr intercom. Do you know if this PTT button is compatible?

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 21 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Gene, this is PERFECT -- exactly what I've been looking for. Some additional questions for you (or others):

1. Does it mount to the hole in the left handlebar that some of use for extra mirrors? If so, then I have to make a decision: RS mirrors on my LT, or a real usable PTT?
2. You said your handlebar was prewired. Was that part of the BMW intercom system?
3. I have a Baehr intercom. Do you know if this PTT button is compatible?

Thanks.
1. I think yes but the plate holding the PTT button is flat on the bottom and I would think you can use the same nut that holds the mirror on and have both.

2. Yes

3. Do not know but would say yes as all it is is a switch to complete a circuit. You may have to run wires to the PTT hook up on yours but would assume the Baehr has an accomodation for a PTT.
post #7 of 21 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
3. Do not know but would say yes as all it is is a switch to complete a circuit. You may have to run wires to the PTT hook up on yours but would assume the Baehr has an accomodation for a PTT.
Baehr does sell a PTT button; it plugs into one of the 4 available open interfaces on the Baehr intercom. I have it. It works fine, it just mounts onto a flat surface with Dual Lock, and I can't find a mounting location close to my left hand. I'd gladly remove it and install the BMW PTT because of the way-better installation when done. Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #8 of 21 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Why not just make a bracket that fits the Baehr switch but mounts in the same location as the BMW switch? Or get someone else to help you make it if you're all thumbs.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 21 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 1:02 am
Old Dawg

Just so you know the photo above is a PTT for the Comm 3 system. The PTT from that system was a really great set up. Note that BMW does NOT have a PTT for the passenger for the Voice II. You could get one for the Comm 3 and I do miss it. You could buy another PTT and wire it in for the passenger if you have some basic electrical knowledege. Here is some photos of the set up for the Voice II:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2713.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	8589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2714.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	8590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2715.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	8591  

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #10 of 21 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 8:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm, I was not aware of the COMM 3. This one works great on my Voice Comm II. It is a basic on/off switch. The passenger PTT that goes with it is 99 00 0 001 531 I think. I do not have it yet as its another ~$60.00 and my wife as currently cut off my MC funds... I original thought the "kit" incuded both. Should have known better.

It is set up with a interface plugs that accomodates the rider button plug and plugs into the Comm II prewired plug. That way you are both on the same circuit. You have to drill a hole on the panel to the right of the passenger where the passenger volume and mute controls are. The instructions are thorough and easy to follow.
post #11 of 21 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Post Another way to do it

I have a Baehr system and purchased the BMW PTT button, also purchased the PTT cable for the Baehr system, just cut off the Box Yellow switch from the Baehr cable and made the connection to the BMW switch. Works perfect. No problems. Looks like factory.

Renzo

Renzo
post #12 of 21 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo
I have a Baehr system and purchased the BMW PTT button, also purchased the PTT cable for the Baehr system, just cut off the Box Yellow switch from the Baehr cable and made the connection to the BMW switch. Works perfect. No problems. Looks like factory.

Renzo
THis is probably the route I would go.

Can the BMW PTT plug directly into a Baehr unused universal interface?
What kind of connections do you have to make to put the BMW PTT button on the Baehr cable -- wiring nuts? Electrical tape? Crimps of some kind?

Yes, I have very little tech knowledge, and even less desire to do it myself. I always screw it up, leaving the job half-done and parts laying around. But I do know what I like, and I'm the king of pickiness. The BMW PTT, to me, seems the perfect setup. The photos of the other just posted look like you have to push the thumb AWAY from the hand to activiate it, as opposed to the perfectly natural way the hand rests on the grip and pushes the BMW PTT button. Make sense?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 21 Old Dec 9th, 2006, 9:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Howard, I'm sure there is someone near you that could help with such a project. Hmm, who else do we know from Ohio?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 7:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Howard, I'm sure there is someone near you that could help with such a project. Hmm, who else do we know from Ohio?

Joe's a good man (can't believe I'm saying that ) and he has certainly helped me and others in the past -- above and beyond, as they say. Yes, I could use the electrical/wiring knowledge and services of someone like him (or many others on this site) for a full freakin' day to install the things on my wish list
  • better PTT, as we are discussing on this thread
  • passenger PTT, if that's possible
  • reposition my Hella lights on/off switch (needs to be moved so I don't take a hand off the left grip to turn it on/off, and needs to be turned 180 degrees so I can see the indicator lights)
  • Gerbing dual temp controllers, front and back
  • fuse block(s)
  • move accessory outlet to stingray area
  • permanent intercom jacks, front and back
  • run power to the tank bag for cell phone charger
I envision this day as: purchase/gather all necessary parts and accessories, place Joe inside locked garage with the same, throw in occasional food and beverages, buy big steak dinner with Guinness when done. And maybe a contribution to his 401k.

Since you were at CCR 2006 (I'm sure I saw your name badge everywhere ) you had a good look at how clean his farkle installs are on his new GT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #15 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 2:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I'd be glad to ride out and help you sort it all out Howard. But I hear you guys have something out that way called winter. So give me a call in a few months, when it would be worth the ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 21 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
THis is probably the route I would go.

Can the BMW PTT plug directly into a Baehr unused universal interface?
What kind of connections do you have to make to put the BMW PTT button on the Baehr cable -- wiring nuts? Electrical tape? Crimps of some kind?

Yes, I have very little tech knowledge, and even less desire to do it myself. I always screw it up, leaving the job half-done and parts laying around. But I do know what I like, and I'm the king of pickiness. The BMW PTT, to me, seems the perfect setup. The photos of the other just posted look like you have to push the thumb AWAY from the hand to activiate it, as opposed to the perfectly natural way the hand rests on the grip and pushes the BMW PTT button. Make sense?
After the connections are made to the BMW PTT button, the Baehr cable plugs directly into the Baehr unit. I have a Y connector that I purchased from Baehr the allows a FRS in-between. The cables and the PTT button complete the circuit. The connection to the BMW PTT is easy; if you need help send me an IM,
Renzo

Renzo
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:14 pm

I had BMW remove my VoiceII and just bought the Autocom Pro Avi system, I wonder if the PTT from the Voice II will with some modification work in place of the Autocom PTT? I have to remove the headsets and mic's from three helmets and install the Autocom sets as Autocom will not work with the J&M sets, anybody done this?

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I had BMW remove my VoiceII and just bought the Autocom Pro Avi system, I wonder if the PTT from the Voice II will with some modification work in place of the Autocom PTT? I have to remove the headsets and mic's from three helmets and install the Autocom sets as Autocom will not work with the J&M sets, anybody done this?
I have always used the bmw ptt switch for my Autocom units. It is just a matter of cutting and splicing the wires.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #19 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:36 am

Re: PTT Install for Voice II

Can anyone help me locate the connector for the PTT botton? I have an 06LT, took the cover off the left handlebar, but cannot see the connector!

Joe
post #20 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWprofessor
Can anyone help me locate the connector for the PTT botton? I have an 06LT, took the cover off the left handlebar, but cannot see the connector!
On my '07, there were two small gauge wires with female spade connectors taped to the left handle bar. I only had to remove the top left handle bar cover to access the wires. My Voice II was installed at the factory not the dealer.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #21 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:16 pm

I removed the cover on the left handle bar but can't see any connectors. I purchased the LT with the full comm system. Puzzled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in