3Likes
  • 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By rangemaster
  • 1 Post By guitarjim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Great Prices and Fast Shipping

Hello My Fellow Riders,

I want to highly recommend Burn Out Italy for your future purchases. I purchased the B5 N-Com system on Monday and received it today, Thursday. I paid for the priority shipping (cost like a dollar more than the standard shipping) and still saved a ridiculous amount of money.

They have a lot of products but not as much as some online superstores. Their prices are the lowest I could find for the product I purchased, even with overseas shipping rates. Check them out! I hope they make you as happy as they made me.

Have a great day/night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 8:00 pm

Garage
Re: Great Prices and Fast Shipping

Before anyone questions it, I know Jimmy from another forum and he's not a spammer, just promoting a company he had a great experience with.

I'd love to know why you picked the B5 over something like a Scala Rider or Sena. Looks like the price point is about the same.

2000 R1100RT
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Before anyone questions it, I know Jimmy from another forum and he's not a spammer, just promoting a company he had a great experience with.

I'd love to know why you picked the B5 over something like a Scala Rider or Sena. Looks like the price point is about the same.
Thanks for the note about me not spamming a site. This may be the first time I have put up a plug for a website between this forum and the other AND I'm not going all over to boast about this company. (Now that I think about it, I have encouraged people to get the Gman bushing before.) I looked at Nolan 104 EVO tech helmets and they are constantly $450 online. At the site, I could get it for about $360 shipped. That is worth sharing.

The main reason I went with the B5 is because I already have the Nolan 104 EVO tech and the B5 fits seamlessly into the helmet. No wires hanging anywhere. I have been looking at the COMs systems for a couple of years but didn't see anything I had to have and prices were very high. I think prices have come down some.

Now, cross company communication seems to finally be available AND actually working. With any system, there are trade-offs and advantages. The B5 is the latest N-com and there aren't very many reviews on it yet. So, I went by the list of features and connectivity and went for it. I installed it today and everything is working well.

What I mainly looked for was:
1. Bluetooth syncing with my iPhone to listen to music, follow GPS directions and/or listen to the radio for traffic reports when traveling.
2. Ability to answer my phone when on the road. I don't plan to make a lot of phone calls but need to be available while riding. Push a button and tell Siri who to call or text and I am in business.
3. Ease of use for 1 and 2. The B5 turns on and off on its own based on movement. Pick up the helmet and it comes on and syncs automatically.

At some point, I may use the system with other riders. It is supposed to connect with most other brands. If I just want to talk to my possible +1 in the future, an inexpensive unit can work for that. The system will remember the riders I have synced with in the past and automatically connect with up to 6 of them at once. I'm not sure if I have to COM call them or make it so I can talk to all at once.

I know that some systems allow an open channel for a lot of riders to share. If I was always leading a group of people, I might have put a preference on that but I don't do that. In fact, at this point, the people I rarely get to ride with don't use any COM systems.

I haven't gone on a test ride yet but plan to in the morning.
Whiskey likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 9:24 pm

Garage

Let me know how you like it. I'm definitely happy with my Scala Rider G9, but I'm a gadget geek and I love to hear about new gadgets.

2000 R1100RT
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 7:24 am

Quote:
Let me know how you like it. I'm definitely happy with my Scala Rider G9, but I'm a gadget geek and I love to hear about new gadgets.

If you love new gadgets, don't look at the Sena 10C BT integrated intercom/helmet cam...you'll end up buying one like I did 😜. For $349 I got it all - intercom, BT to iPhone for music, texts, voice command, GPS interface, intercom to non-Sena units (Universal Intercom) and a built-in 720/1080p action camera.

Like the OP I have a Nolan N-104, and looked at the N-comm, but the Sena had so much more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Whiskey likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
If you love new gadgets, don't look at the Sena 10C BT integrated intercom/helmet cam...you'll end up buying one like I did 😜. For $349 I got it all - intercom, BT to iPhone for music, texts, voice command, GPS interface, intercom to non-Sena units (Universal Intercom) and a built-in 720/1080p action camera.

Like the OP I have a Nolan N-104, and looked at the N-comm, but the Sena had so much more.

Nice! Where is the camera located? The B5 has pretty much all of those features except the camera and the voice command which takes a button push to activate.

Does anyone use the Universal Intercom? How well does it work for you?
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 11:06 pm

Garage

Quote:

Is that the one that records continuously but only saves the video when you hit a button? I've heard of it, and yeah, I'm about ready to swap out my G9 for one.

2000 R1100RT
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 12:30 am Thread Starter

I had a nice chilly ride this morning at about 36F for almost 2 1/2 hours with a return trip of the same length at a balmy 55F. I put on extra layers and fired up the heat settings on the bike. This was my first ride with the Nolan B5. Here are my impressions from today:

1. Bluetooth likes line of sight. My other bluetooth items don't communicate well when my phone is locked away in a pants pocket. At first, I had some light signal drop with music with the B5 too. I had my phone in a chest pocket. But, after a few minutes, the connection was fine and I had no gaps in my music.

2. Made for Intercom first. The sound quality is good but the mid-range is definitely more powerful than the highs and lows with the earphones. This is to be expected. (I won't go into how sound travels, design and blah, blah, blah.) The system is designed first for intercom and doesn't have a $500 set of high quality music producing speakers. Accenting the mid-range probably works better for voices anyways. Overall, the clarity of the music was good. No, the bass didn't really thump but I addressed that already.

3. Plenty loud. I was greeted with a nice 25-30+mph crosswind all day. It's Kansas; that's what we get, almost all the time. While I hid from the cold behind the windshield, I did get wind noise from the side. I could hear the music fine when traveling at freeway speeds. I didn't try to drown out the engine noise and/or the wind noise. But, the music was loud enough that the other sounds were in the background. I didn't have the B5 volume up all of the way. I don't know what level the volume was set at, for example 3 of 5 or 6 of 8.

4. Auto on/off. I really liked the function of picking up the helmet and by the time it is on my head, it is already connected to my phone and ready to go. According to the manual, the system will remember all riders and connections and connect automatically to them all but I didn't get to test this. After sitting still for 30 seconds, the system turns off automatically. So, I won't have that sinking feeling of realizing I forgot to turn off the system overnight and now it is dead for my upcoming ride.

5. Siri doesn't work in the middle of Kansas on the way to Dodge City. I hit the button to communicate with my phone but Siri was taking a nap since I didn't have phone service. But, the system did connect and check with Siri. I had tried this function at home and was able to place a call without a problem.

6. Easy to use buttons. I could easily feel the buttons through two pairs of gloves. There was no learning curve to find the volume up/down, on button (to find out Siri was napping) and the "N" button. This meant no fumbling and frustration of hitting the wrong button and doing the wrong thing.

I am very happy with today's experience. The B5 did everything I asked it to do today without a problem. The Siri situation was the phone and not the B5. This system will get a lot of usage.
Whiskey likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 12:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you have any video we can see? When looking at the website, the camera seems to be at a weird angle. It looks like there are some really cool features for sure with the camera.
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 8:32 am

Garage

Thanks for the review. I'm not surprised by the sound quality, that sounds like par for a Bluetooth headset. Not sure about the Bluetooth connectivity though. I toss my phone in the trunk when I ride and my Scala Rider has no issues with maintaining the connection. Sounds like a good headset overall though.

2000 R1100RT
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the review. I'm not surprised by the sound quality, that sounds like par for a Bluetooth headset. Not sure about the Bluetooth connectivity though. I toss my phone in the trunk when I ride and my Scala Rider has no issues with maintaining the connection. Sounds like a good headset overall though.
I'll try the trunk sometime. I can mount my phone on my cupholder to see the gps if I want at this time. I will probably have a friend print out a 3d attachment for my bike to easily put my phone in place.

The challenge with reception is probably my magnetic personality
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Garage

I have a dedicated GPS mounted on the dash of the bike, so I have no need to see my phone, hence the trunk. If you want to mount your phone on the bike I'd suggest a RAM mount. That's what's holding my Zumo GPS in place and it works great.

I'm sure the magnetic personality is the only problem.

2000 R1100RT
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Made a phone call with the B5 tonight. Reception was clear and easy to understand the caller in the headset. As I said before, I think this system and probably others are set up to be used as an intercom first and foremost so, the speakers are set up for voice more than the full range of music.

I spoke at less than normal volume on purpose and my caller heard everything I had to say without a problem. She couldn't hear the motorcycle at any time. This includes me starting the bike and riding it at about 45mph during a ten minute conversation. So, the phone call test passes well. I had the phone in my pants pocket and stayed connected without any problems. (Although, the phone wasn't buried under three layers of riding pants tonight.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in