Just to make sure, is a Sena really the right choice for me? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Scubadoc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Just to make sure, is a Sena really the right choice for me?

Howdy all.
I have a '15 RT with the Nav 5.

All I want to do is talk to my passenger, listen to music via the USB/Sat radio, and hear directions off the Nav 5.

I've read up on the discussions, and slightly confused on if a Sena is really the right way. It sounds both that it will work, and will not work (because it's not the BMW BT system, so ya know, suckers).....

Will it? Should I get a wired system?
I'm looking at the Sena 5....not sure if the other models have that much more functionality? Besides range and how many other units it can connect too, which I don't care about, it seems that only other thing is maybe noise canceling mics.

I guess a feature I should ask about is...will I have to hit a button to talk, or will the mic pick up our voices and lower the other volumes? Or do they run full-duplex all the time?

It's a living....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Re: Just to make sure, is a Sena really the right choice for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff42 View Post
Howdy all.

All I want to do is talk to my passenger, listen to music via the USB/Sat radio, and hear directions off the Nav 5.

I've read up on the discussions, and slightly confused on if a Sena is really the right way. It sounds both that it will work, and will not work (because it's not the BMW BT system, so ya know, suckers).....

I'm looking at the Sena 5....not sure if the other models have that much more functionality? Besides range and how many other units it can connect too, which I don't care about, it seems that only other thing is maybe noise canceling mics.

I guess a feature I should ask about is...will I have to hit a button to talk, or will the mic pick up our voices and lower the other volumes? Or do they run full-duplex all the time?
Sena 10 will do it all, although you will need to press the jog dial to intercom with your passenger. You will be able to listen to radio/ipod/iphone/usb as well as get Nav 5 directions. Other sounds are muted when on intercom or getting Nav 5 directions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadoc View Post
Sena 10 will do it all, although you will need to press the jog dial to intercom with your passenger. You will be able to listen to radio/ipod/iphone/usb as well as get Nav 5 directions. Other sounds are muted when on intercom or getting Nav 5 directions.
The unfortunate part is that your passenger won't get the music because only the BMW branded BT system will allow for a 2nd helmet to be paired to the bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
The unfortunate part is that your passenger won't get the music because only the BMW branded BT system will allow for a 2nd helmet to be paired to the bike.
True, but passenger can be tuned into his/her own iPhone/ipod. My wife and I hate the same music. I'm a 60s-70s guy, she is current pop. Works for us.
scottydawg and Stafford123 like this.

Ed

post #5 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Garage

Quote:

What ziggy said. I use a Blinc III system. Does everything except allow my passenger to hear the bikes radio. Since the Blinc system also has an FM receiver its not really an issue to us but is a shortfall. I am told there is a cheap workaround for that issue by using a phone that will act as a hotspot but I havent tried it yet. Steve
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 3:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
True, but passenger can be tuned into his/her own iPhone/ipod. My wife and I hate the same music. I'm a 60s-70s guy, she is current pop. Works for us.
In addition you can share the music from one Sena to the other one. So connect one Sena to the system and then share to the second one. You will be both listening to the same music if that matters. The 20s will allow the above also and it can take inputs from two sources. So you listen to the music/radio and when the GPS chimes in the music fades a little into background, you get the direction and then back to music. The SMH10 only switches between sources, no fading.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Ha ha. Same here. We can agree on one or two sat stations, besides that, she hates my music! Good to know that each set can be paired to each own. Guess that is obvious really.
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

So looking back at the Sena site, what about the 5 or 3? Their website really should have a grid style feature list and comparison. Some features might be listed or ignored. Trying to figure out which 10 is better is confusing.
post #9 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Quote:
So looking back at the Sena site, what about the 5 or 3? Their website really should have a grid style feature list and comparison. Some features might be listed or ignored. Trying to figure out which 10 is better is confusing.
The SMH-10, which has been superseded by the 20, is on sale for a significant discount. The dual setup at Amazon is $249 compared to last year's price of $400. You need to make sure that you choose the style microphone that you want: boom, wired, or both. That depends on the type of helmet that you wear. I would also recommend the helmet clamp that has a earphone adaptor, as many riders prefer in-ear earbuds to the speaker helmets, which have pretty crappy sound.

Ed

post #10 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Howdy all.

smh10 can leave mics open and voice activated. wind can activate them so if full helmets it will be fine.
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 8:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Not true! SENA units will allow you to share the music between the two headsets!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
The SMH-10, which has been superseded by the 20, is on sale for a significant discount. The dual setup at Amazon is $249 compared to last year's price of $400. You need to make sure that you choose the style microphone that you want: boom, wired, or both. That depends on the type of helmet that you wear. I would also recommend the helmet clamp that has a earphone adaptor, as many riders prefer in-ear earbuds to the speaker helmets, which have pretty crappy sound.
Yeah, I did see that, but the 5 is 180$ for the pair. i can't figure out what the main differences are. Or for that matter, the major differences between the 10s, 10r, and SMH10. Some are larger, or thinner, or fm radio...
I guess I can do my own product grid....as long as I can find ALL the information on their website.

It's a living....
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Yeah, I did see that, but the 5 is 180$ for the pair. i can't figure out what the main differences are. Or for that matter, the major differences between the 10s, 10r, and SMH10. Some are larger, or thinner, or fm radio...
I guess I can do my own product grid....as long as I can find ALL the information on their website.
This page from the Sena website should give you a good comparison of all the different models.
Motorcycles & Powersports Archives - Sena

Ed

post #14 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Not true! SENA units will allow you to share the music between the two headsets!
That would be nice! Do you happen to have the procedure for this? My search proved unsuccessful.
Thanks!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 3:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

To pair the music on the 10 series open a conversation with the other user then push and hold the rotary button for two (I think) seconds. Music will then be active for both headsets and either user can end the shared music with a single tap of the rotary switch. It works quite well.

post #16 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
To pair the music on the 10 series open a conversation with the other user then push and hold the rotary button for two (I think) seconds. Music will then be active for both headsets and either user can end the shared music with a single tap of the rotary switch. It works quite well.
Awesome, thanks Dean!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #17 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Quote:
That would be nice! Do you happen to have the procedure for this? My search proved unsuccessful.
Thanks!
At the Sena site you can download the online manual for whichever device you are interested in. Pairing sequences get complicated, but at least it will tell you what is possible and walk you through the steps. Once you bite the bullet and buy one, there is plenty of advice and how-tos on this and other forums.

Ed

post #18 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
This page from the Sena website should give you a good comparison of all the different models.
Motorcycles & Powersports Archives - Sena
I've been hitting that site, but there is so many products, and how much info is given, confuses on which does what.
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Quote:
I've been hitting that site, but there is so many products, and how much info is given, confuses on which does what.
I have a pair of SMH5's and they come already paired to each other when bought as a pair. The instructions were adequate for me to pair it with my phone with no trouble. I currently don't have any other devices to pair it to. The SMH5 speakers are smaller than the 10's and the range is less between them but if it is just you and your pillion, that will never be an issue. They can pair with other sena headsets and devices that use the supported protocols but only 2 people at a time can talk. The smh10 can conference with 4 headsets simultaneously and has greater range and longer talk time. I just bought a 10 but haven't gotten it yet as the prices are much better than when I got my 5's. I don't use my phone for music so I haven't tried that feature but it works great with my phone

If you don't feel the need for the 10's features, the 5 works just fine for me. I plan on riding with some groups so having a 10 will give me some flexibility but mostly, I will keep using my 5's.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #20 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2015, 8:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks!
OK, Dean told you how to do it! I would have to look in the manual since I ride solo!!!

The only feature that you will lack by NOT using the BMW bluetooth is the ability to control the audio volume with the wonderwheel!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2015, 9:40 am Thread Starter

Well, I ended up getting the SMH10 after the wife just said. "Just buy the expensiver one damnit".....
So far, so good. Issues are: Sat radio sounds like CRAP. USB listening isn't bad. It's not an audiophile's dream, but it gets the job done. I didn't see ANY Sena's where i could plug in another ear set....plus, i don't think riding with earbuds in would work for me. Intercom i have to sort out with some wind guard for my wife....or turn on VOX.

Wiring that in my helmet took an hour!!! I have a Scorpion EX1000, and all the wires can't be tucked into the shell area, because the side pads have that plastic insert that shoves down there. I wish there was another way so i don't have the wires just sticking out before going into the helmet. Meh.

Need to figure out why when streaming SoundCloud, the music went back to coming out fo the phone after I locked the screen. I think that is a phone issue though, not sure why it would be the Sena. Makes me wonder if I had MP3 playing, if I lock the phone, it'd do the same.
I rather not have another cable connecting my helmet to the phone.

It's a living....
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 13th, 2015, 2:12 am

Garage

Congratulations on getting the Sena. Hope you have pleasure chatting with the boss.

Regarding the wiring - I had previously wired up our Sena intercoms. I asked the local dealer to install our intercoms (on separate occasions). (I had a new helmet, and we needed a new clamp for the boss - I had taken hers because mine was rather worn out!) I was surprised at what can be done to a helmet to make the wires invisible. He did a far better job than I ever had done. Patience & practice is the key here!

Regarding the streaming music from the phone, even when locked. While I use the BMW Nav IV for my music on the bike, I use the phone for music in the car. I have noticed that even on lock, or when I try to pause the music - it does not stop. I have to physically break the Bluetooth connection, or change the input if I want to stop the music. Not sure if it is related, but it could be.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #23 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2015, 7:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I didn't see ANY Sena's where i could plug in another ear set....plus, i don't think riding with earbuds in would work for me. Intercom i have to sort out with some wind guard for my wife....or turn on VOX.
Actually the Sena 20s has the ability to "plug" another set of speakers or ear buds, replacing the Sena supplied ones. And they MORE expensive also.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #24 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2015, 8:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
....... I didn't see ANY Sena's where i could plug in another ear set.........
If you need to, you will have to spend a few more bucks and buy this helmet clamp kit: Sena SMH-10 Helmet Clamp Kit - Earbuds with Boom and Wired Microphone - RevZilla

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in