Sena 10C - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Sena 10C

I picked up a Sena 10C BT intercom/camera unit last week prior to taking an Advanced Rider Course here in Oregon...a few quick observations are in order (from a long-time Sena SMH-10 user):

1. While still 'glove-friendly', the buttons are smaller than the 20S and SMH10.
2. Yes, it sticks out farther from the helmet than an SMH10 or 20S due to the (necessary) rotating mount to adjust the camera up/down angle. Still much lower profile than sticking a GoPro on your helmet.
3. You can adjust left/right tilt of the lens easily by rotating the lens.
4. You have to adjust the camera angle by trial and error...currently the Sena Device Manager AND the smartphone app lack the ability to view even a still image of what the camera sees. This means mount it on the helmet, put the helmet on, start the camera, stop the camera, take the helmet off and remove the micro SD card and look at the picture or video. UPDATE - there is another way...go get a micro HDMI cable (micro on one end, standard HDMI on the other) and plug it into the Sena and the HDMI of your TV/monitor.
5. The battery last a long time with just intercom/BT media streaming.
6. The battery lasts about 2 hours when the camera is recording video, then it shuts the camera off and still leaves you two hours of intercom. NOTE - I solved this 'problem' by taking one of my USB backup batteries for the phone and putting into my jacket, running the micro USB cable up and plugging it into the Sena. Now I can run the full 5-6 hours and fill the SD card up
7. The camera can shoot in 1080p/30fps, but I shot several hours of 720p/60fps with very good results. 720p/30fps is also possible.
8. You can take photos in single shot or burst mode at various resolutions, but if you're recording video the snapshots will be in whatever video resolution you've chosen.
9. The unit supports micro SD cards up to 32GB (Class 10 card or better).
10. The boom mic is a better one; that, coupled with the firmware in the unit, does a better job of handling wind noise. If you install the boom mic make sure you use the extra clamp (included) to anchor it, as it doesn't mount as solidly as the boom for the SMH10.
11. You can set the unit up to record your voice, voice and streaming music, and (rumored, but not tested) phone calls along with the video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rangemaster; Jul 7th, 2015 at 7:50 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 8:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Sena 10C

I was considering the 10c very hard before it came out. Figured that for the price (unknown at the time that I was looking), I would have upgraded my SMH10 as well as getting a helmet-cam (I was looking at the SENA Prism). I decided on the Prism because the 10c lacks the full bluetooth functions of the SMH10 or 20s. Don't recall what feature specifically, but I think that it lacks the multi-point pairing.

Aligning the camera? Heck, that's very easy. I got the Prism lined up right away. Get yourself a cheep, but very small, laser pointer! You can tape that to the top of the camera, or just hold it in place as I did, with your helmet on, and you can point the camera to exactly where you are looking by watching the red dot as you move the camera, and then lock it in place.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Sena 10C

I know what you mean PadG... I think there is some feature that the 10C doesn't have compared to the trusty and reliable SMH10 but it's not multipoint pairing - because it will do that.

I used it again today on a short trip into the next town and back. The video tagging feature is really handy. As with anything new the more I use it the more I'm retraining my left hand to find all the correct buttons.

Camera alignment wasn't all that hard, I just think it's something they should've put more thought into before they released the product and/or software. Once I found the correct lens rotation angle I took a white Sharpie and put a couple of alignment dots on the camera and lens body. If I end up putting a 10C mount on another helmet I'll just align it and use a different colored pair of dots.

Been shooting in 720p/60fps and it's very usable; I'll try some 1080/30 in the next few days.

The mic audio ported to the iPhone appears to be better in this system, as I haven't had nearly as many arguments with Siri over what I want her to do LOL...

I looked at the Prism, but I think if I decide to go with a dedicated action cam for the bike I'll look for one of the SJCAMs (like the SJ4000-5000 WiFi). They appear to be decent units and are priced very competitively, as long as you don't fall for one of the many SJCAM knock offs that are on the market.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rangemaster; Jul 8th, 2015 at 7:45 pm.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 7:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

I do like the Prism a lot, and as a matter of fact, I think that I am going to be using it more than the GoPro Hero3 Black that I also own!

BTW, can you listen to music while recording with the 10c? The Prism won't allow that, because it is paired as intercom, which has the second highest priority, with the top priority assigned to phone. Which means that the Prism takes over the mic. and earphone while it's online. To make sure that I get GPS instructions to my earphone while recording, I had to pair the SMH10 to the GPS using phone pairing. That pairing was very important to me, while riding in Scotland.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
I do like the Prism a lot, and as a matter of fact, I think that I am going to be using it more than the GoPro Hero3 Black that I also own!

BTW, can you listen to music while recording with the 10c? The Prism won't allow that, because it is paired as intercom, which has the second highest priority, with the top priority assigned to phone. Which means that the Prism takes over the mic. and earphone while it's online. To make sure that I get GPS instructions to my earphone while recording, I had to pair the SMH10 to the GPS using phone pairing. That pairing was very important to me, while riding in Scotland.

Yes...you can listen to music while shooting video, either in continuous video recording or the 3-minute 'video tagging' mode. You can even have the 10C record the tunes you're listening to on the video.

Be advised, while recording the mic is hot all the time...If you want to record everything you hear thru the speakers (intercom conversations, music, etc.) as well as mic audio just turn the 'Smart Audio Mix' feature on.

I don't pair the GPS (Zumo 550) to my headset, but if I get a chance in the next couple of days I'll try to test it and let you know.

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
Yes...you can listen to music while shooting video, either in continuous video recording or the 3-minute 'video tagging' mode. You can even have the 10C record the tunes you're listening to on the video.

Be advised, while recording the mic is hot all the time...If you want to record everything you hear thru the speakers (intercom conversations, music, etc.) as well as mic audio just turn the 'Smart Audio Mix' feature on.

I don't pair the GPS (Zumo 550) to my headset, but if I get a chance in the next couple of days I'll try to test it and let you know.

Thanks. It's too late now, and I was just curious. I had suspected that the 10c might allow other audio inputs, since the camera is hardwired to the comm. unit! I wish I had known that at the time that I was looking though. That might have changed what I bought, since the 10c came out just before I had left for Scotland.

Yeah, I knew about the mike being hot all the time, which is the same as the Prism. BTW, one thing that I have found out is that the battery will let you record at 1080p for about 2 hours, BUT don't keep the camera on standby, because that drew as much power as if it was recording! Turn the camera off (very easy to do, on the move, with the Prism) and on only when you are going to record.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Sena 10C

Update:

I've been using the 10C for 3 months now and am pleased with it...considering the price point (about $350) I like it. Video quality is good.

There have been 2 firmware updates since the initial release.

Keeping the 10C in video tagging mode draws as much power as running the camera continuously (which I anticipated) but my back up battery patched into it from the vest pocket makes it a non-issue.

While the unit will work with Sena's handlebar remote (and their new wrist remote), the camera controls are not supported...hopefully Sena will address this with updated firmware in the remote(s).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in