Radio swap reusing handlebar control - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Mar 21st, 2015, 11:49 pm Thread Starter

Radio swap reusing handlebar control

I'm working on a radio swap on the 96 R1100RT that I bought recently. It's still a work in progress, but I thought I would post what I've found so far. Others can probably expand on what I've done so far and/or use the info in their own project. The stock radio was a single DIN mount, AM/FM cassette with handlebar controls for volume & seek. I wanted to try to reuse the handlebar controls so I bought a radio with a "wired remote" jack on the back that I was hopeful I could make use of. I used a Pioneer MVH-X370BT. It is an AM/FM, bluetooth, USB, Aux input radio. No CD. I mainly wanted to be able to play MP3 off of a memory stick, which this will do, but it will also bluetooth sync to my phone so I can play the music files on my phone. It will also be nice to be able to answer a phone call while I'm riding after I interface my J&M helmet headset to the system. I wired the front speaker leads of the radio to the fairing speakers of the bike. I'm going to wire the rear speaker leads of the radio to a 6pin headset jack so I can use my J&M headset. That way I can use the front to rear fader to adjust a good balance between the fairing speakers & my helmet. The radio comes with condenser (electret) mic so I don't know if the J&M dynamic mic will be able to connect directly to that jack. ( I had trouble getting the J&M to work on one of my HAM radios that used a condenser mic) I haven't started that part of the project. The main thing that I wanted to post now is being able to use the handlebar switches to control the radio. I had found where others had used interface devices that were for the steering wheel controls of cars & used resisters to program the functions. It made me wonder if the radio itself just needed a specific resistance on the remote lead to activate each function. As it turns out in the case of this radio at least, that is all that's needed. The remote control jack is just a miniature stereo type jack. Tip, ring & sleeve. The ring lead put out around 3 volts from the radio. I assume this is to power any interface device that needed it. The remote control is enabled by placing specific resistances between the tip & sleeve contacts of the plug, so a pushbutton in series with the correct resistance will perform the desired function. I used a selection of individual resisters to experiment with & found that each function was enabled within a range of resistances with some resistance ranges doing nothing at all. I found all the functions I was concerned with so I stopped after finding those values. I might get a variable resister to make finding other functions easier at a later time but for now I'm done with that part. Others that are interested can carry on the experiment. Here are the values I came up with. I don't have a range of values on most functions because I quit when I found a value that worked.

On/Off/Source 1K to 2.2K ohm
Attenuate 3.2K to 4.6K ohm
Volume up 15K ohm
Volume down 22K ohm
Track forward 6.8K ohm
Track back 10K ohm

Note: If track fwd & back are pressed together the parallel resistance of the two is in the 4K range that operates the Attenuate function.

I've included a crude schematic of what I did if it helps anyone. Wire colors will vary on other bikes I'm sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	1775
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	76530  

Robert Gillis
KE0AK

'05 K1200LT - Gold
'02 K1200LT - Champagne
'96 R1100RT - Silver
'95 R1100GS - Fire Engine Red
'83 R100RS - Pearl White (for now)

MOA# 153816

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in