Installed different speakers in helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 1:16 am Thread Starter

Installed different speakers in helmet

I've been using inexpensive Koss headphones, rated at 103db, for a while now. Recently one speaker developed an intermitent connection. I removed the speakers and traced down the connection to where I had soldered the wiring harness I made to the element.

since I had been stripping computer pcb of capacitors using my heat gun, set that sucker on high and it easily melts the solder, tap the board and the components fall out, I grabed it vs soldering iron to melt the solder to remove it. worked like a charm!! Except it melted the plastic around the speaker element also!

While I was poking around looking for heaphones I discovered Sennheiser made some excellent phones rated at 120db!! with the 103db ones I had to use an external amp to hear music thru the ear plugs I use once I got over 60-65mph.

This Sen model has removable speaker elements from the head band AND removable wiring harness, PLUS one can buy the two pronged jack, designed to have wires solder on to it.

the elements are open in the back, thicker and larger than the Kopss ones. After quite a bit of cutting small amounts away, I was able to install them, have different wire to try in wiring harness, and the plugs headed to me.

the good news is that I don't need the external amplifier, which was a PITA, and even though I still need to do some more futzing to get the elements aligned with my ears a little better, have much better, more enjoyable sound, including deeper taught bass.

after I get the jacks in I'll experiment using an mp3 player in my pocket vs the on in my Garmin 665. even inexpensive mp3 player now can also play a variety of better recording formats, "lossless ones". wonder if they will sound better than mp3 files at 80-85mph?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 6:34 am

Re: Installed different speakers in helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa View Post
wonder if they will sound better than mp3 files at 80-85mph?

Bob
Sounds like a good project glad it worked.

I am sure they will sound better just not sure that the human ear will be capable of hearing the difference in the noisy environment of a helmet. I found the biggest bang for the buck was foam ear plugs, they allowed me turn up the volume of the speakers and pretty much cut out most of the annoying wind noise.

Gerhard
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

My initial assumption was that because they are mp3 files, because of the noise, because the speaker elements are so amll, and because I use foam ear plugs, "fidelity" would be a moot issue. But, I discovered when first using the Koss elements that they sounded much better than Senna elements; then, when I made my own wiring harness the change in sound, for the better, was obvious.

Now with theses Sennheiser elements, the sound again is much better, plus I don't need the external amplifier. My experience typically has been that if someone hasn't spent time playing around with elements in a music system, they assume changes in sound will be minor or insignificant to them, their "ears" really won't grasp the improvement.

But, I've been playing around with audio gear for a few years now, mostly tubed audio gear, replacing resistors, capacitors, inductors, wiring and vaccum tubes trying to get the best sound out of mostly gear from the 50s and early 60s. It is possible to dramatically improve the sound if one plays long enough. and, its rather easy for anyone to hear the difference.

My thought behind buying the "expensive" Sennheiser headphones is that since my LT is my only transportation I spend time riding her multiplr times a week and on long trips the music helps. So, improvement in sound is something I'll enjoy weekly and on loooooong trips--worth the chance that theyd work better than what I've used in the past.

course, now I'm day dreaming about making a small tubed headphone amplifier even though I only use the blue tooth to my helmet for audio.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 4:54 pm

I have J& M Elite a bit older model and the new ones are supposed to be better.

The fidelity of my speakers (and I do wear foam plugs) from My Zumo 665 (and it is run BT) is excellent.....volume no problem!

Here are the new model

The New elite 787 series represents our most significant leap forward in helmet headset design, sound quality and overall performance in more than 15 years.

Two all new hi-intensity helmet speaker designs from J&M combine a better frequency response curve with higher volume levels to provide crystal-clear distortion free sound, even at highway speeds. These new hi-intensity speakers are available in 2 sizes, both 40mm ultra-slim & 45mm large diameter custom, for installation into most motorcycle helmets available in the marketplace today.

J&M Motorcycle Audio

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in