The Best Communication System To Date. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By katnapinn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 6:47 am Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

The Best Communication System To Date.

Let me start by saying I have no stake in this company. I'm just a future owner of this new system. Also it is NOT bluetooth, it is a hardwired system.

A little back ground on the company...
The owner was an Audio Engineer in the music industry for years. He is a avid motorcyclist who like a lot of us wanted the best communication system for his bike. He has used most wired & bluetooth options but none gave him what he wanted. On a ride a few years ago with his wife they were using the latest & greatest Autocom system and after a few days on the road was tired of the poor quality of sound, way the Autocom tried to blend different audio sources (Music, Voice, GPS, Radar) with very limited success he pulled over & removed the complete system from the bike & put it in the trash. His wife told him to build his own system the way he wanted it & Motochello was born.

The first system MC 100 had a few limitations but was better then anything out at that time.

He has now come to market with the newest system that does everything you will ever need a communication system to do.
The MC 200

Motochello is the best for the money.
There is a group buy being put together on K1600Furum by Rocketmoto if anyone would like to buy this system.

If you do NOT need that many different audio sources connected Motochello offers a simple single audio in with FSR radio connections & headset for a lot less money.
MotoRFPlus

Click here for that info.
Micheric likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 27th, 2014, 8:43 am

Re: The Best Communication System To Date.

I couldn't agree more!

I have used MotoChello's MotoRFPlus, MC100 and now the MC200 and they all are great devices. I am a retired electronic engineer and have evolved to be a beta tester for MotoChello .

I an currently integrating the MC200 into my new 2014 R1200RT. It integrates a Valentine radar detector, various 2-way com units ( FRS, CB,...), iPhone and even the BMW radio. I have also tapped into the nav wiring which allows me to direct the coms device audio output to the BMW radio with all the nav override features. I will post more when I complete the project. I am on the final phase.

I am trying to locate an after motor running trigger source for a power relay to the above devices. I would like to use the headlight feed but haven't been able to find a thread in this forum that provides the wire color. This source will connect to the relay coil for power directly from the battery.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 27th, 2014, 9:47 am

Has anyone interfaced the Motochello to an LT?

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 30th, 2014, 4:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Has anyone interfaced the Motochello to an LT?
It will work on any bike. To connect it to the LT audio you will need one of the two connectors listed below.

AC-2273 - $81 Music plays from the bike speakers as well as thru the MC-200 at the same time. The volume in the bike speakers will be very low, so you will likely not hear it with the helmet speakers or your earbuds.

AC-2275 - $116 - Same function as the AC-2273, but has a switch to turn off the bike speakers. Switch can be panel mounted or left under the seat.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 30th, 2014, 4:40 am Thread Starter

OK this just in from Adam at Rocketmoto. Looks like the group buy is on & here are the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
Hi Folks:

Still no electrical power here in our neck of the woods. A foot of heavy, wet snow on Wednesday left 200K+ customers in NH going *cold turkey* on Thanksgiving. Our Honda generator gets a real workout, here. Last one of these storms left us without power for five days, and nine days the time before that. The power company has over 500 line workers from surrounding states, Quebec and Ontario working in F'in cold conditions. A tough job, and my helmet's off to them.

Just about everything that you'll need is in the kit, with the exception of a stereo to mono adapter for a radar detector - about $4 at your local Radio Shack, and we'll work to get some of these in.

Presuming that you'll want to connect into your K1600's Alpine stereo system, you'll need one of these two Autocom adapters:

AC-2273 - $81 Music plays from the bike speakers as well as thru the MC-200 at the same time. The volume in the bike speakers will be very low, so you will likely not hear it with the helmet speakers or your earbuds.

AC-2275 - $116 - Same function as the AC-2273, but has a switch to turn off the bike speakers. Switch can be panel mounted or left under the seat.

The K1600 modification you'll see on our website is not needed with the MC-200, as the MotoChello system has adjustable input levels, where the Autocom's do not. If we've already modified one for use with an Autocom for you, it's no problem. The MC-200 is flexible to enough accommodate it.

Which FRS/GMRS radio to get? The *best* radios in our opinion are the Kenwood's. These are commercial duty, and **** near bulletproof, and there are 12 volt power adapters available for around $20. We have the latest TK-3402 5 watt radios, and with our Stealth Blade antenna kit, it's a heckuva setup. The TK-3300 link on our site shows out of stock - that is the previous model that is no longer available. The TK-3402 is essentially the same, but is a 5 watt, rather than a 2 watt radio - and we have them in stock, but haven't updated the website. The TK-3402's are normally $269, and we can do these for $249.

We also have the Blackbox Bantam radios. Just as good as the Kenwwod, in our opinion, but there's no clean and easy bike-power solution other than using the rechargeable battery. Alternatively, there are many low cost radios from Chinese companies like Baofeng and Woxun that work well and when they quit, just toss 'em out and get a new one - not nearly as good as the Kenwood or Blackbox for audio quality and receiver sensitivity, but usable and cheap. You can find these on eBay and Amazon for short money.

List of known interested participants:
jgazette
75CptRet
Charlie Fogg
Adirondackjack
wdwrkr
Marinok13
grandpatom6
dwfoley
Riderman
Leghorn
Kenn_Ramage
katnapinn
Chop96
Papalynn
dhendy
CowboyBagger
Rick A.
Matt D. (from ADVRider, I think)

Anyone that I've missed - please PM me, and I will add you to the list. We'll leave this open until December 3rd.

You may call us anytime on 877.533.4245 to place your order. Once we've gathered everyone's order (10 minimum), we'll place the bulk order with MotoChello to get our better pricing, and we'll charge your card at that time.

If there are any other goodies that you may need, like a third headset, or perhaps a Bluetooth adapter, or a mount for the MC-200 control unit, we'll work that out with you when you call.

Thanks for you interest, continued support of our business and your patience. It's been a bit nuts here - more than usual. We are in processes of moving to a bigger retail space nearby, to open early springtime, and we are the New England dealer for Motus Motorcycles, which we are really excited about!

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by Admin; Dec 11th, 2014 at 12:05 pm.
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 30th, 2014, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post

Very cool! This is the connection already in place supplying signal to my Autocom Pro 7 Sport.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #7 of 17 Old Nov 30th, 2014, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Very cool! This is the connection already in place supplying signal to my Autocom Pro 7 Sport.
Then all you need is the Motochello Unit.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 17 Old Dec 19th, 2014, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

The group buy is done & I have installed my Motochello.

OK after a few days of looking everything over & making up my mind where & how I wanted to run everything I now have my Motochello installed. I have not set up the head unit for volume , priorities and such but will try that tonight.

The install with pictures.....
I have my speakers unplugged so I removed the right speaker housing assembly. Made a small 2" X 4" plate to mount the brain to with velcro & bolted it to one of the speaker bolts. This way all the extra wires can stay hidden behind the speaker grill. I mounted the head unit to the steering stem using a modified universal stem mount from Ram Mounts plus a small ball clamp from Ram. The Motochello come with a Ram ball mount already.

I ran the phone connection to my Handlebar bag so I have easy access to it. The PTT I ran to the left side of the handlebar. The FRS/GMRS radio will be in the left lower side compartment. I bought the Baofeng UV5R plus a external antenna with a magnet base mount. The antenna is mounted to my top case rack using the magnet.

I have the riders headset connection coming out just in front of the seat & the passengers will come out of the left side by the grab handle when I have Sammie with me.

Here are the pictures

Mounting location of the brain, also the Autocom connection to the speaker wires on the back side of the plate.

The stem mount on the left & clamp on the right.

All I used of the stem Mount was the offset Ball assemble.
I also bought a 10 X 1.5 X 50 MM hex head bolt & a 5/8 washer. The washer is the same size of the BMW rondel in the steering stem.

I cut off the bottom stem of the offset ball mount so it sets flat on the washer.

remove BMW Rondel.

Replace with 5/8th washer

thread hex head bolt into the ram ball & into the steering stem hole. Next tighten down bolt keeping ball in forward position.

Attach the clamp to the head unit & stem mount balls. Then adjust till you can see the display easily.

The Top case rack has a small flat spot that the antenna fits nicely on

The Baofeng radio is very small & fits easy in the side pocket. (I'm waiting on the connector cable from Adam @ Rocketmoto to finish up here)

the connection for the rider headset cable

Push to Talk (PTT) button

Phone connection in my Handlebar bag.

I hope this helps someone down the line. The install is not very hard just a lot of cables to work with.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 17 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Update on the setup after the install.
It took about 20 minutes to figure out what all the different screens on the head unit did but after that things went very easy.

Starting with the different sources (bike audio, radar & phone, I'll mix in the FRS radio later) you pick the location to plug them into the brain (aux1 to 3) then set the volume for each. Then you set the priorities (what turns the other thing down/off. Aux 3 turns down Aux 2 when 3 is active and so on).

Set the VOX sensitivity & the Intercom volume level. Now we test the intercom. Sammie has always had trouble using VOX on every other intercom (wired & bluetooth) we have had but not the Motochello. She just speaks in a normal voice & the music lowers. After she stops talking I have the music set to come back on after 3 seconds this way if she is not done talking but pausing for a moment the music does not come right back up. Everything worked perfect. Plus she said the speakers have the best/clearest sound ever. It is like we are setting in the house listening to music & chatting.

On to the radar now, Once plugged in I got lots of feed back then I remembered RL stating you need a Stereo to Mono adapter so I picked up one at RadioShack today & now the Radar works perfect. It is set to lower the music when the radar is active.

I'm still having some issues with the phone. (Android not iPhone) When it rings I hear it slightly but it does NOT turn down the music. Not sure how to set that up so I'll call John at Motochello. Making a call is easy just push & hold the "Phone" button on the head unit, then punch the phone on the screen & tell the phone who to call. I already use voice dial while driving so I am use to that. Just need to figure out answering the phone.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 17 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post

I'm still having some issues with the phone. (Android not iPhone) When it rings I hear it slightly but it does NOT turn down the music. Not sure how to set that up so I'll call John at Motochello. Making a call is easy just push & hold the "Phone" button on the head unit, then punch the phone on the screen & tell the phone who to call. I already use voice dial while driving so I am use to that. Just need to figure out answering the phone. :gm

Ok I played around a little more with the phone connection & got it figured out. The instruction say to down load a "Headset Button Controller" app if you are using a Android phone. I did but this is where my troubles were. For me the app did not work proper so I removed it from the phone. The app allows you to use the buttons on the display of the Motochello (in theory).

Next I lowered the Motocello system volume on both the Aux 1 & Aux 2 (bikes audio & radar) to the lowest point. Then I raised the system volume for Aux 1 (Phone). At this point I called the phone & once it was ringing (I heard it loud & clear) I raised the volume on Aux 1 & 2 till all volumes worked together but still allowing me to hear the phone ringing clearly.

Now to answer the phone. I set the phone on auto answer after 2 rings/5 seconds. Now it rings twice then answers for me. All I need to do hit the mute button on the bike to turn off the music & say hello after the second ring. I'll still call John @Motochello on Monday to see if there is a way to have the music mute automatically when aux 1 (phone) is active.

I plan on a ride in the morning to give everything a good work out & will report back on how everything worked. I should have the connector cable for my FRS radio next week so I hook it up & review that later.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 17 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yattr View Post
I couldn't agree more!

I have used MotoChello's MotoRFPlus, MC100 and now the MC200 and they all are great devices. I am a retired electronic engineer and have evolved to be a beta tester for MotoChello .

I an currently integrating the MC200 into my new 2014 R1200RT. It integrates a Valentine radar detector, various 2-way com units ( FRS, CB,...), iPhone and even the BMW radio. I have also tapped into the nav wiring which allows me to direct the coms device audio output to the BMW radio with all the nav override features. I will post more when I complete the project. I am on the final phase.

I am trying to locate an after motor running trigger source for a power relay to the above devices. I would like to use the headlight feed but haven't been able to find a thread in this forum that provides the wire color. This source will connect to the relay coil for power directly from the battery.

I have attached a pdf of the MC200 installation and integration with a 2014 R1200RTW. The installation includes a Valentine One radar detector and Midland CB. It also discuss using the GPS/Nav RTW interface and RTW audio to MC200.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RTW MC-200 copy.pdf (1.44 MB, 198 views)
post #12 of 17 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yattr View Post
I have attached a pdf of the MC200 installation and integration with a 2014 R1200RTW. The installation includes a Valentine One radar detector and Midland CB. It also discuss using the GPS/Nav RTW interface and RTW audio to MC200.
Great write up with Pictures, thanks for sharing.

Stevie Shreeve
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 6:17 am Thread Starter

Now that I've had a chance to use the Motochello in a real world setting & not in my quiet garage with all the traffic sounds & all that come with riding a motorcycle all I have to say is
WOW !!!!

After 9 years & multiple types of intercoms both wired and bluetooth this thing blows them all away 10 fold. I did have to fine tune it a little on the road but 95% of what I set up in the garage worked. I tweaked the different volumes a little but that was about it. The speakers are incredible, I've used earbuds for the last 4 years & I do not think I'll ever go back to them. The sound is so crisp & clear. The intercom come on easy when you talk but not from the wind. I opened my helmet & dropped the windscreen so the wind blew right in my face & the mic still did not kick on till I spoke.

Now that I am using the speakers in my helmet & need to wear earplugs. I have 3 different ones that I tried today.
1) the good old foam plugs you roll up & put into your ears.
2) a set of Plugs I've had for 40+ years that I use when at the shooting range.
3) A set like my dad wore back in the 60's & 70's. I used those same one for years till I lost them a few years ago. I found a set of New old Stock ones out of Pearl Harbor a few months back so I bought them.

The Foam works but you have to keep buying new ones.
The other two are cleanable & both work better then the foam ones. The Shooter plug stick out of the ears more & will start hurting on a long dayI think but allow me to hear normal sounds while still blocking wind & loud sounds the best.
The third would be great on long days in the saddle while still letting me hear the com & radio But muffle normal sounds like the foam ones do.
I think I will use both # 2 & 3 depending on how long I am riding that day.

Here are the # 2 & 3 ear plugs..

Number 2 (shooter plugs) lee Sonic Ear-Valv from the 1960's

Number 3 (Vietnam era plugs)

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 3:46 pm

Attached is a pdf for the installation and integration of

Motochello MC-200
JMCB-2003
Valentine One with Bluetooth
Iphone6+
ChargeGuard

on a 2014 R1200RTW. This is a completely new approach from my previous attempt and corresponding pdf...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RTW MC-200 Phase 2.pdf (2.68 MB, 304 views)
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 24th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Thumbs up Re: The Best Communication System To Date.

Just completed a breakfast ride from Payson to Clint's Well this morning with 3 other CB users. The response is good! The JMCB functioned well less some minor engine noise through the CB (will work on this and update). The range is oustanding. SWR with 2' FireStik is 1.4 at the ends and 1.2 in the middle.

The JMCB might be pricy but functioned well. Location and access to PPT, volume and squelch outstanding
post #16 of 17 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Yattr, I am trying to integrate a JMCB 2003 into my Autocom Logic. I understand there is a difference in the mic inputs. I have read your tech article about integrating the JMCB into the Motochello and using an audio isolator to strip out the 4Vdc out of the mic line. You mention connecting the mic line to the entire audio insolator. Are you referring to a stereo audio isolator? Has this continued to work well long term?

I see you are running the mic and shield into the RF-IF lead of the Motochello and the speakers output into the Aux-3. The Autocom Logic input that I want to use is a 4 conductor 3.5 plug (left, right, mic, ground). Are you running separate grounds for the mic and the stereo speakers? Do you see a problem if I combine the grounds in my Autocom setup?

Thanks for your time, Buckster
post #17 of 17 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Yes, the stereo isolator. "Entire" simply implies that I used the entire coil (left and right inputs) versus just half of it (left or right with common ground). I did to put less of a load on the source but either all of half of the coil is ok - whichever works for you application.

I isolated the mic from the speakers while trying to determine the source of noise and a VOX related issue. I therefore put each on an independent circuit within the Motochello. As it turned out, the noise was an RT attribute. Using a common ground should be ok. I do not recall but they might be common anyway on the J&M side.

I had to use a DC to DC converter to improve the RT noise issue. Less noise as a result but could still use a bit more filtering. With all other audio sources disabled, there is still a bit of noise.

One heard, never forgotten! An unfortunate attribute of audio...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in