Best Bluetooth system for R1200RTLC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2014, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Question Best Bluetooth system for R1200RTLC

I just purchased a R1200RTLC and am looking for advice concerning which blue tooth system works best with the BMW package. Bill Shaw (Fall IBA magazind) states that the Schubert headset does not work well with the BMW system. He recommended the BMW communicator and states all functions work. My BMW dealer recommends the G9 but states the volumn cannot be controlled with the tunning wheel on the bike. I want something that sounds good and works with everything on the bike.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 8:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Best Bluetooth system for R1200RTLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC View Post
I just purchased a R1200RTLC and am looking for advice concerning which blue tooth system works best with the BMW package. Bill Shaw (Fall IBA magazind) states that the Schubert headset does not work well with the BMW system. He recommended the BMW communicator and states all functions work. My BMW dealer recommends the G9 but states the volumn cannot be controlled with the tunning wheel on the bike. I want something that sounds good and works with everything on the bike.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
If you want one that will function with ALL the controls on your RT, then I believe your only choice is the BMW communicator. Expensive, IMO!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Thanks, that's what I've been told. I've read that the sound is not good through the BMW speakers. I don't mind spending the money as long as everything works well and sounds good. I'm not sure how the well BMW com will work with other com headsets.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 9:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I've been told. I've read that the sound is not good through the BMW speakers. I don't mind spending the money as long as everything works well and sounds good. I'm not sure how the well BMW com will work with other com headsets.
If functionality of the handlebar controls (in particular volume control) is less important to you, then I would recommend the SENA system. The new 20s looks like a good model. I am using the older SMH10. Both of these SENA models will communicate with other brands of headsets.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Plus 1 for the Sena. I use the SMH 10 on my k1200lt and it bluetooths with everything and the volume is controllable and plenty loud enough.
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Quote:
I've read that the sound is not good through the BMW speakers.
I have a C3 and the Schubert BT headset and use my iPhone to drive the Bluetooth connection. IMHO it is as good as any set of BT headphone I have ever used. Go to the dealer and ask to preview the BMW headset and the Schubert headset on your bike and then pair it to just your phone and see if there is a difference. Schubert told me that the best results with their equipment was to pair the iPhone with the headset and everything else to the iPhone. I think that is not how the BMW system is set up... However I do not know for sure.

Little or no difference I would vote for the 'BMW' branded headset mainly because it works with the bike.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I have a C3 and the Schubert BT headset and use my iPhone to drive the Bluetooth connection. IMHO it is as good as any set of BT headphone I have ever used. Go to the dealer and ask to preview the BMW headset and the Schubert headset on your bike and then pair it to just your phone and see if there is a difference. Schubert told me that the best results with their equipment was to pair the iPhone with the headset and everything else to the iPhone. I think that is not how the BMW system is set up... However I do not know for sure.

Little or no difference I would vote for the 'BMW' branded headset mainly because it works with the bike.
I know they have a Schuberth I can try, not sure if they have a BMW com set up in a helmet. I'll ask next Thursday when I pick up my bike. They probably have Scala G9 I could also try. After reading everything I can find, I'm still confused about what to do. I'm leaning towards the BMW com because I want everything to work even thought the accessory sales person is trying to sell me the G9.

Thanks,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #8 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Dick I have the Schubert with the BMW system. Works reasonably well and like all BT systems pairing is a cake walk.
Congrads on one of the most awesome bike's ..
Love the QBM color, it is so Iridescent !! there is a reason the color was used with the intro.
Kicks ass when seen in person.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2014, 1:52 am
PCH

In Australia the sena is one third the cost of the BMW. My Sena works and pairs fine every time. The only thing that won't work is volume control from the bikes little wheel. Station selection and all works with the little wheel, just not volume. Sena,s volume control is just as easy IMHO.
Lot of money for just one type of volume control IMHO. Worth considering ??
Best regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2014, 6:50 am

I have the Sena 20S and love the system. Easy to pair with anything, and the voice control is fun to play with. Additionally there is a smart-phone app that makes the setup of odd configurations and group pairing very easy to do. Cellphone audio is excellent and the only real gripe I had was that the earphone plug audio is very hot and caused bad distortion, probably due to an impedance mismatch. I solved this by adding a volume control inline with the earplugs, which totally solved the problem.

Highly recommended product !

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Oct 13th, 2014 at 6:57 am.
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2014, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Dick I have the Schubert with the BMW system. Works reasonably well and like all BT systems pairing is a cake walk.
Congrads on one of the most awesome bike's ..
Love the QBM color, it is so Iridescent !! there is a reason the color was used with the intro.
Kicks ass when seen in person.
Thanks Pete:

Can the BMW com system talk with another bike using a different blue tooth system such as Sena or Scala?

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #12 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2014, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Well, I decided to get the Schuberth helmet and BMW com. I may need to get another part-time job to help pay for it! On the way home from Atlanta everything seem to work fine. Volumn with earplugs could be a little bit better but maybe playing with the speaker positions will help. Thanks for everyone's input.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #13 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Quote:
Thanks Pete:

Can the BMW com system talk with another bike using a different blue tooth system such as Sena or Scala?
Not sure about that one.
Enjoy

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2014, 11:27 pm

My 2 cents

I started with my Cardo G3 (G5?). It worked, sorta. Lots of drops and re-pairing. Then I went to the Sena 20S. Way better but still not perfect. I don't know what it is but it seems Bluetooth is not an exact science.

And to confuse things I think SOME of the issues are the BMW side of the equation. My Sirius drops out quite regularly but the iPod, once connected, is rock solid. The phone through the Nav5 sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Just like the iPod sometime connects seamlessly and sometime requires a stop and reboot when I leave the driveway.

Still sorting!

Greg
2014 R1200RT
South Central California
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 1st, 2014, 3:30 pm

Question about Bluetooth

I am brand new to the Bluetooth world and was wondering...

My RTLC was paired with a BMW Comm Sys for the past 3 weeks. Helmet1/Nav5/Phone. Everything was working well until I stopped for lunch last Sunday. Went back to the bike and started everything up and all 3 had problems reconnecting. I finally rode to a more desolate location to try to pair everything back up but wasn't fully successful until I got home and could think through everything step by step. It is now up and running again the way the dealer set it up the first time.

Is this normal with Bluetooth? Some interference causing the units to unpair?

Lastly, are any of you concerned with the amount of time some of us spend standing around with the ignition on while messing with all this stuff? Battery aside, what about fuel pump, etc. Are we hurting the bikes by not starting them in shorter order?
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:44 am

Re: Question about Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsman View Post
I am brand new to the Bluetooth world and was wondering...

My RTLC was paired with a BMW Comm Sys for the past 3 weeks. Helmet1/Nav5/Phone. Everything was working well until I stopped for lunch last Sunday. Went back to the bike and started everything up and all 3 had problems reconnecting. I finally rode to a more desolate location to try to pair everything back up but wasn't fully successful until I got home and could think through everything step by step. It is now up and running again the way the dealer set it up the first time.

Is this normal with Bluetooth? Some interference causing the units to unpair?

Lastly, are any of you concerned with the amount of time some of us spend standing around with the ignition on while messing with all this stuff? Battery aside, what about fuel pump, etc. Are we hurting the bikes by not starting them in shorter order?
I still wonder what you guys think about the last question. I did do some extensive experimenting these past few days, however, and think I may have inadvertently caused the unpairing situation described above. When I stop I place my helmet in a sidecase. I remember some resistance that time and pushing a little harder than usual to close it. Maybe it pressed the on/off and less volume buttons simultaneously which tells the BMW Comm Sys to erase all pairs? I am now more careful with the switch location in the case and haven't had any problems since. It's a possibility at least.
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 12:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I've tried a few different Bluetooth systems over the last few years. All have had limited success. I found they work good if you just use then with 1 audio source and as an intercom. The problem is when you add more thing to the bluetooth for it process they stop working or do thing other then what you ask them to do. When I first bought my 2000 K1200LT back in 2006 it had the stock intercom system made by J&M for BMW and it worked well for what it was. I could hear music from the bike, hear my radar plus use my phone. It even had a CB radio that I never turned on so I removed it. After 3 or 4 years that system quit working so I went to Autocom & it worked but not very well. When I bought my K1600 I went to bluetooth & hated it. In the last 3 plus years I've tried 4 or 5 different set ups from hardwiring the Scala to the bike to full bluetooth , to adding an aftermarket bout tooth transmitter to the bike then back to hard wire which Is how I have it know.

Again it works but not very well. Along comes a company called Motochello who in my opinion has a system that does everything I wanted or needed a system to do.
It is NOT Bluetooth but hardwired system so it may not be for everyone.

Click here to find out about it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #18 of 18 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 3:36 pm

you won't damage anything, but if you do it long enuff, you will drain the battery.

Before putting on my helmet, I install a little headphone amplifier, and turn on my sena to make sure they are working, mount my GPS, wait and see if it turned off the blue tooth transmitter and with my helmet on my head, start my bike and wait for the GPS blue tooth to tell me the connection to my sena isn't working, at which point I start getting sound thru mt sena and head set.

Every once in a while my GPS turns off the mp3 player.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in