Anybody put Baehr speakers in a Shoei Neotec - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Anybody put Baehr speakers in a Shoei Neotec

Well, the wife and I happily walked out of Ozzie's BMW today with a matching pair of new Shoei Neotecs. As I sat down to install the intercom speakers this evening I found the Baehr speakers are a little big for the Neotec's speaker well.

Was hoping someone else may have already tackled this and could provide some insight on how you made it work.

Thanks in advance!

2007 R1200GS Adventure
No longer "OrovilleTim" as I defected from California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 27th, 2014, 7:56 am

Re: Anybody put Baehr speakers in a Shoei Neotec

Yes that is a weak point about the Baehr. The speakers are too big. As an alternative you might consider J&M. I found the J&M elite headsets work great with the Baehr and were actually louder. You do need the right lower cable which is no longer in their catalog. They stopped making them when Baehr USA when out of the business the first time. Now that someone else has taken it over I wonder if they will make them again. You might want to check with them. I wonder if the Baehr speakers are still the same size as they were years ago? Mabye they have a smaller set now? Check with these guys http://www.baehrus.com/
They are good at getting back to you by phone.

I just checked their website Baehr has the 50mm speaker headset kits if that will help you.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Last edited by mwnahas; Sep 27th, 2014 at 8:03 am.
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 27th, 2014, 9:16 am Thread Starter

Garage

I got them to work, but may look at replacing the speaker elements when (or before) my handi-work comes undone. For anybody in the future that comes along searching here is what I discovered:

It turns out the diameter of the speakers is exactly the size of the Shoei opening but what I failed to notice was there is a little pointed area of the recess for the wires to come out.

By paying attention to that, they sat within the opening. But the downside is that the three tabs on the speaker cover to hold them in there wouldn't all insert. So, using velcro to initially hold the speaker in that position, I took four small pieces of Gorilla tape and put them in strategic positions around the edge of the speaker.

I then *carefully* removed from the Shoei ear-spot covers the foam pad that was previously occupying the space for the speaker pocket on the helmet. I tried to put as many of the tabs back into slots but when I was unable to, I applied a small piece of Gorilla tape. For the direction of the ear cover with no tab, a couple inches up I put the rough side of Velcro on the EPS to hold that down.

Using those tips, one can get the speakers in (at least for the lifetime of Gorilla tape).

I really should have took photos, but I didn't know I would undertake it when I sat back down after posting my initial query. I just started experimenting and next thing I knew I had both helmets sewn up.

Chances are I'll probably get a couple sets of elements that are known to fit perfectly and solder them onto the existing leads but we're eager to ride... I'm sure everyone knows how that feeling is

2007 R1200GS Adventure

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 27th, 2014, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
I just checked their website Baehr has the 50mm speaker headset kits if that will help you.
Thanks! I'll have to check that out. Plug and play from the same vendor beats soldering and hoping from another!

2007 R1200GS Adventure

Tags
baehr, neotec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in