Baehr: First Impressions; Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Baehr: First Impressions; Questions

The Baehr intercom is nothing new to the LT world, but mine was just recently installed and working, and my wife and I are just back from our first road test of it.

It's a great unit. The audio muting is essentially instantaneous -- as soon as you start talking the audio input is muted. Out of the box, with no adjustments made to any of the several things that can be adjusted, we had crisp, clear speech at all speeds up to 65 mph. (I know it's rated to provide clear speech at some crazy speed -- 140 mph? -- but I'll never be there.)

We are getting some intermittent electrical noise in the speakers. Any advice on that?

It also seems like the sound is unbalanced: it's louder out of my right speaker, louder in my wife's left speaker. Odd. I'll check the intercom to see if that's an adjustment; I know the fade (front to back) can be adjusted. I may also turn up the wind noise adjustment.

I need to get bike-to-bike going now; already have the cables and the Icom radio. Then, I need a cable for the cell phone. Should be easy to do.

What method of mounting the radio and cellphone do you all suggest? A BMR shelf? Handlebar mounts? Something else? Raffy, what else can you sell me to accomplish these 2 things?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:11 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Howard:

Check the adjustments for volume for rider and passenger. as far as electrical noise, is alternator whine type noise or just speaker static? I would dielectric grease in all your connectors and then tape over them.

As far as cell phone cable, that's available. Mounting the cell phone or ICOM maybe done several ways. You have handlebar mounts, over radio head mounts, shelf mounts etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 7:18 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Howard:

Check the adjustments for volume for rider and passenger. as far as electrical noise, is alternator whine type noise or just speaker static? I would dielectric grease in all your connectors and then tape over them.

As far as cell phone cable, that's available. Mounting the cell phone or ICOM maybe done several ways. You have handlebar mounts, over radio head mounts, shelf mounts etc.
I should have specified the type of noise I'm hearing. It's intermittent (hear it sometimes, not all the time); it's faint -- not as loud as the music I'm playing; it's definitely RPM-related (goes up and down with acceleration), and it sounds like a very rapid clicking noise. Definitely not speaker static like you'd get when you lose a radio station's signal.

Are you saying to put dielectric grease on the Baehr connections under the seat?

Where can I read about the mounting options? Long-term I'd like to put a shelf over the speedometer like so many others have done; a GPS will go there. Maybe mount the cell phone to one side of that, the Icom to the other side (unless a handlebar mount for that makes more sense). For now, could I stick the cell phone and Icom in the tank bag?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:18 am

Howard, I have not had any buzzing or other noise in my speakers but my wife did. I found that if I reroute the passenger connection to the side of the seat and away from the fuse blocks it goes away. As for the cell phone, I just put it in the tank bag on auto-answer and it works perfectly. I don't make many outgoing calls unless stopped anyway.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:29 am

Thumbs up

As for engine noises, YES !!! ... any routeing of comm cables forward of rider seat & under tank puts cables right over the alternator

I just had to reroute all my cables to go up & over tank between stingray & top of tank to eliminate the alternator whine.

Baehr also makes a static supressor thats a plugin between junction box & main unit, it helps eliminate general electrical noise within system.

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:43 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Ditto. I ran all the important cables the same way.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:48 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Are you saying to put dielectric grease on the Baehr connections under the seat?
Yes!

Quote:
Where can I read about the mounting options? Long-term I'd like to put a shelf over the speedometer like so many others have done; a GPS will go there. Maybe mount the cell phone to one side of that, the Icom to the other side (unless a handlebar mount for that makes more sense). For now, could I stick the cell phone and Icom in the tank bag?
There are lots of threads as far as mounting options etc. Best look at the Farkles/accessories thread in NorCal or in the Main forum.

Looks like you need a Co-Pilot shelf from BMR and couple of side arms.

Cell, I would keep in tank bag or over the radio head. ICOM can be mounted vertically on the shelf or on the handlebar using PanaVise or RAM components.

Raffy
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Here are a few shots of radio mounting & dash farkles.

#1 shot shows the ICOM belt clip using "Shoe goo" attached to right side handle bar cover.

#2 shot, my home made RCU "type" dash shelf, it's a wrap around style so I have usable space either side of the GPS.

#3 shot is the upper half of the 276C marine mount attached to the lip of dash. Single screw located it, shoe goo holds it tite.

Personally, don't like the Ram type arms running all over the place & prefered having all farkles centrally located along stingray & dash. "Nothing but the Icom on the handle bars "

Regards.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMRS radio mt. 001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	4868   Click image for larger version

Name:	276 console mount 001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	4870   Click image for larger version

Name:	276 console mount 002.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	4871  

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #9 of 15 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 5:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
As for engine noises, YES !!! ... any routeing of comm cables forward of rider seat & under tank puts cables right over the alternator

I just had to reroute all my cables to go up & over tank between stingray & top of tank to eliminate the alternator whine.

Baehr also makes a static supressor thats a plugin between junction box & main unit, it helps eliminate general electrical noise within system.

Scott
Hmmmm... still a little confused. No cables are routed anywhere except from beneath the seats (both of them, as appropriate). The helmet lead is Velcrod to the oddments box latch, per the manual. The pillion helmet lead comes out between the 2 seats, like the manual shows. Is this what you mean by "forward of rider seat & under tank puts cables right over the alternator"? In other words, this is a VERY basic install -- intercom and bike audio only at this point.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:01 am

Untill you have AUX cables for 2 way radios, GPS or cell phone ... your right nothing is going forward ... Yet

If you are still getting a little static ? check with Carl at baehr & inquire about the other suppressor.

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #11 of 15 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:33 am

I have an Autocom but mounting extras should be the same as with the Baehr. For a while I kept my cell phone in my tankbag, routing the cable through the lock for the oddments box cover (no modification needed). The cell phone I had at the time required that the phone be kept open for the auto answer to function. I could fit the open phone in the top of the tank bag under the clear plastic map cover; I could see the caller ID display and also reach the keypad to make calls.

Later I got a new phone that will auto answer with the phone closed, so I relocated the phone to the oddments box. It is more difficult to make calls but I don't need to do that while riding anyway, and my phone is safe from rain and nimble fingers. The only necessary modification was to bore a hole in the plastic side of the oddments box.

I have an FRS radio that I am yet to mount. I have kept it under the seat, and also run it into the tank bag. The former owner (hello Rush) kept the radio velcro'd to the blank vertical panel beneath the left handlebar. That's a pretty good solution, since it gives you access to the controls. I bought some 3M Triple Lock (available at Radio Shack) but haven't bothered to mount it because I don't have any local riding buddies using FRS. Yet.

I have a BMR shelf but I don't want to clutter it up too much. I also don't think my cable is long enough to reach all the way to the shelf. I personally don't like things mounted on the handlebars.

There are plenty of options out there. Good luck.
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Clicking noise and SSHHHH noises

Howard,

I just set up my Baehr the same as you and have the same clicking noise. Let me know what Baehr has to say, and how it is solved. Mine only clicks when the engine is one -- rapid soft clicks.

2d question for group. I also have a "sshhhh" static type noise when ever hooked up and bike power is on. Engine off or on makes no difference. Is this just part of the system or can I get rid of this static.

It exists whether radio is on or off. At highway speeds it is not loud enough to hear, but at slower speeds, it is there.

thanks.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:58 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendy
Howard,

I just set up my Baehr the same as you and have the same clicking noise. Let me know what Baehr has to say, and how it is solved. Mine only clicks when the engine is one -- rapid soft clicks.

2d question for group. I also have a "sshhhh" static type noise when ever hooked up and bike power is on. Engine off or on makes no difference. Is this just part of the system or can I get rid of this static.

It exists whether radio is on or off. At highway speeds it is not loud enough to hear, but at slower speeds, it is there.

thanks.
Both Baehr USA/National Cycle (Carl Reaver) and Raffy told me to purchase and install the Baehr noise-canceling product. I THINK it's about $80. When it gets annoying enough I'll do that... I notice the clicking goes away when any audio source is used. It's also a bit more pronounced, now that I have the PTT and FRS/GMRS cables going up to the handlebars. Previously they all terminated in the tank bag.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Hey Howard what was the issue with your's cutting out on the way up to Cleveland BMW open house? You guys are scaring me away from Baehr

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:47 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Raffy: please read and comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Hey Howard what was the issue with your's cutting out on the way up to Cleveland BMW open house? You guys are scaring me away from Baehr
Carl Reaver of Baehr USA/Natl Cycle was there that day. He checked it out and gave us a "loaner" lower cable to use (goes from helmet to Baehr helmet lead). We had a J&M cable there; he wanted to rule that out before doing anything else.

It didn't solve the problem, but we put 2 & 2 together and now we have a theory. We noticed the problem only happens on longer trips, i.e., anything > 1 hour. Our theory is that the moisture from the exhaled air we breathe into the mics (we talk a LOT on the bike) is messing things up. On each of the 3 longer trips we've had together it's done this. (You may recall the symptom is the vox doesn't pick up the other person's speech. You have to talk LOUDLY to get the vox/mute function to kick in.) Once this problem starts it gets continually worse. A few days later (the next time we ride together) everything is fine.

Carl also said he would replace the unit if the new cable didn't solve it, and if his testing determined the unit was malfunctioning.

Don't shy away from Baehr. I still love the product, and one-up it's a non-issue because the vox isn't part of the picture when you're riding solo. Raffy and Carl have been excellent to work with. I think I have a "glitchy" unit, that's all. Maybe it was made on a Monday.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in