I may be joining the ranks again... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By CaptJDavis
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By rockitcity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 14th, 2019, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

I may be joining the ranks again...

My butt was itchy since I sold my lovely 2018 R1200RT 3 weeks ago and my wife demanded me to get another bike and get the hell out of the house!
So, as a gentleman husband I am trying to obey her demands.

Just this time I won't make the same mistake hopefully. I enrich the second hand BMW bike market just by myself alone in the last 5 years. So, this time I'll enjoy the fruits of my labor and found myself a nice 2015 GSA, I'll check tomorrow.

If it checks out that'll be my ride for a while.
Push button start, Standard suspension, BMW panniers, top case and a GPS... The only problem is that I hate that screaming blue color but I'll find a way to cover it up. Probably with a Wrap company that use a high quality 3M material.

That'll be enough for now.

I said many times before on these forums, I loved my last bike, an Alpine White 2018 R1200RT... Comfy, agile, powerful, luxurious with all the comforts and extras of today's technology allows to have on a bike.

But I was constantly in fear while I am riding that beauty. I was constantly paying extra attention not to scratch her body, saddlebags etc. For example if I was carrying handful stuff inside my garage I always felt that I need to give a wide berth to go around that bike. I rather scratch the car's paint than RT's.

Riding 2018 White RT always felt like if I was driving a sporty model of Mercedes or BMW compared to riding a GSA which feels like riding a Jeep or a Hummer.
You know what I mean?
For example while I was cruising down on a freeway at 70mph if a rock hits one of my saddlebags;
- On RT I think " Oh God darn it !!!" and my heart sinks...
- On GSA all I say "Yeeee hawww" and feel like "I am a cowboy on a steel horse I ride..."

Seriously, fingers crossed as tonight. Tomorrow I'll update this thread!
Hopefully with a good news!

Ride safe all,
PMitchell and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
--------------------------
'18 R1200RT - SOLD on 4/26/2019 -
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 15th, 2019, 8:50 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: I may be joining the ranks again...

Good Luck with #20!
CaptJDavis likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old May 15th, 2019, 9:54 am

Re: I may be joining the ranks again...

It will be interesting to see your reaction to a new-to-you 2015 GS coming from the 2018 RT. Seems like a lot of itchy butt syndrome going on there! With the loss you are taking by trading every two years (on the same or very similar bikes,) I would think you might want to settle on one for a while longer and not worry about scratching your new bike, but hey, you apparently have the means to do it, so why not? The used market gets some nice bikes at your expense.

I can appreciate taking care of a bike and keeping it as pristine as possible, but I also believe in normal wear and tear. Stuff happens. Is your bike a tool for riding or an art object? There are places for both, but the art should probably be in a display case, not the garage.

Just some random thoughts. Not trying to judge your decisions as I seem to like a different bike every few years as well (just got a 2013 RT when I already have a perfectly good Triumph Explorer.) Just wondering if the thrill of the chase has something to do with your frequent changes? It's hard to get away from the mind-set of "What's next?"

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the GS and will continue to tell us about your adventures!
CaptJDavis likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in