Android Smart cell - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Android Smart cell

Any been able to use their smart phone as a GPS while riding?

Especially interested if Google maps or some other app can be voice controlled via blue tooth head set?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 1st, 2014, 3:01 am

Re: Android Smart cell

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone and I use it as a GPS all the time. One great feature is that you can download maps. So, no signal is needed to navigate. No matter how far you get off the beaten path, you can always find your way.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 1st, 2014, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

How do you manipulate the GPS? Detours? Can you select options such as No Ferry rides, shortest distance, most senic routes?

I'm only familiar with GPS by using two different Garmin units.

I tried using a Asus small tablet, but the processor wasn't fast enough. I used it as an MP3 player, but it would get hot and then no audio via blue tooth.

Thanks Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 8 Old May 4th, 2014, 9:23 am

CoPilot GPS is an android app you can use. Download the maps so it will always work.
You can set to avoid ferries, toll roads.
Good luck
post #5 of 8 Old May 4th, 2014, 11:22 am

Last month, the wife and I headed down to the Smoky Mountains on my C14. It was the first time I ever left the Garmin at home and let my DROID navigate the entire trip.

The Pros:
  • Personally, I like being navigated by the Google Maps interface better than Garmin's. It just seems more helpful ... or intuitive. But that's probably subjective.
  • One can download area maps for offline use, in case you travel in an area that doesn't have 3G/4G coverage. Just bring up the area in Google Maps and type “OK Maps” in the search window. I did this in the Smokies, and it worked flawlessly.
  • Searching for destinations (i.e. POIs, restaurants, gas stations, etc...) is simply easier and faster with a Smart Phone ... in my opinion.
The Cons:
  • My phone randomly rebooted about 3 times. I never remember a Garmin doing that.
  • While wearing gloves, I had to use a capacitive stylus to control the DROID's screen. Not a big deal, but one doesn't have to do this with a Garmin.
  • Even using voice-to-text, I still had to interact with the Droid first with the stylus.
Having said all that, I am done using the Garmin for good. It's just one less device on the bike, and that just might be the biggest PRO of all.

- Joe
post #6 of 8 Old May 5th, 2014, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Many thanks Joe for your time and indicating your experience, it is exactly the information I have been looking for!!

My other concern is heat build up which my ASUS tablet suffered when I gave up trying to use it as a GPS and just ran it as an MP3 player. My guess is that it wasn't designed to be used for 3-5 hours at a time in outside Spring and Summer temps? The player would "hick-up" and drop the blue-tooth connection.

I'd love to get rid of my Garmin 665GPS!! The maps are NOT accurate for gas stations that have been in the same place for 10 years or more!! Restaurant info unreliable, store locations are not reliable, and some times after I turn it on it just sits there frozen for a few minutes!!

Bob

post #7 of 8 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrd View Post
CoPilot GPS is an android app you can use. Download the maps so it will always work.
You can set to avoid ferries, toll roads.
Good luck
I recently downloaded the CoPilot premium with all North America maps (US & Canada) for $11.99. It works quite well and easy to use. Making a route is kinda tough on the small screen and I have not figured out how to plan a trip on the computer and load it to the phone, or if it is even possible. You can drag and drop on the screen to change your route which is pretty handy. I did not try voice commands through my Sena SMH10 but I did get voice directions from the GPS to my headset. All in all I'm quite happy with it and I think my Garmin Nuvi will stay in the car from now on. I have everything I wanted going through the headset, Pandora or MP3 for music, make and receive phones calls, voice directions from the GPS. One big deal for using CoPilot is the maps are downloaded to your phone locally so you don't need a 4G cellular signal to refresh the map-no cell service-no big deal.

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
post #8 of 8 Old May 7th, 2014, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for your time and the report.

I think I'm going to try the Samsun Galixy S5, far processor, glass screen, and water resistent to 3ft for 30mi?

I assume I'll be able to map routes on my home computer? Punching in information foe routes on my garmin 665 was a tremendous Pain In The ARSE!! I get out a map figure out a route, punch in the road names from the map and Garmin would NOT recognize them!! using it to find place to eat, wasted time!! Same for hotels!!

Punch in 29th and it would blink and then ask if it was Rd, Dr, Ave, N, S, etc!!

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in