GPS dropping satellite signal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2006, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

GPS dropping satellite signal

Since installing a satellite radio my GPS 2610 keeps losing the satellite signal. They are installed next to each other on a BMR co-pilot shelf and the satellite radio antenna is installed next to the bike antenna. Any thoughts on why the 2610 keeps losing its satellite signal.

Thanks
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:29 pm

Mutual Interference

It is possible that the radio is pushing out inteference locally from its antenna, generated by the internal electronics. If the antenna are very close together then because the received GPS signal is very weak it can be easily jammed by such interference. If possible, move the antennas to opposite sides of the bike, or separate them as much as possible and things should improve.
post #3 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssomers
Since installing a satellite radio my GPS 2610 keeps losing the satellite signal. They are installed next to each other on a BMR co-pilot shelf and the satellite radio antenna is installed next to the bike antenna. Any thoughts on why the 2610 keeps losing its satellite signal.

Thanks
john
I don't know why, but I had that problem until I hooked up an external GPS antenna and put it far away from the Sat radio receiver.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

post #4 of 7 Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:38 pm

My XM radio is sitting on the sting-ray, so I should not have the same issue. But recently, my xm Terk antenna broke (bracket broke), I connected the stock xm antenna right behind where my 2610 sits. I will need to try it sometime to see what it does with the 2610 signal.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #5 of 7 Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:44 am

On the early ROADY models there was a problem of RF leakage that caused all sorts of GPS interference. They resolved the problem and if you contacted them they would swap out your old until with the new modified one. So if moving your gps further away from your XM radio does not help maybe a call to the xm radio mfg is in order.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #6 of 7 Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:04 am

I needed to buy an external antenna for my 2610 because of the metallic-embedded windshield of my Buick Rendezvous. That should solve your problem here. Made by Griffin...$20 on eBay.

Hhmmn... my iPod doesn't seem to negatively affect my 2610! (Yet just another reason why I won't go with satellite radio!)

Last edited by messenger13; May 23rd, 2006 at 10:05 am. Reason: s p e l l i n g
post #7 of 7 Old May 8th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Re: GPS dropping satellite signal

Scanned most of the 38+ pages of this forum and this post seems to be the closest to what my biggest beef with my Nav II (Garmin 2610?)

I've had it for a while now and while I'm not that savvy with all the features, I've had relatively few problems. After RA in Asheville last year, I've started getting "bubbles" on the screen as I've read a number of posts about delams and currently 'live with it' as its not too bad. But, maybe I ought to call Garmin to investigate the possibility of repair???

And the beep, beep, beeping is a problem primarily when I have the sun over my shoulder, so I'm assuming the touch screen setting may be set too sensitive????

But, back to the main issue I've experienced and would like inputs / suggestions ... dropping / trouble finding satellites. Sometimes it seems that 50% of the time the silly thing is "searching for satellites"!! Shortly after having it installed I commented about this to the dealership and they stated that the mountain west doesn't have as many satellites 'tuned' towards it and it would work better on the coasts?? I didn't see much improvement on my trip to RA, and in talking with other folks that have other brands of GPSs, they have signals / connected to satellites all the time here in Utah. So, does the Nav II require external antenna(s) to work better, or do I have a moderately defective unit, i.e., something else I should discuss when I call Garmin???????

BTW ... hope too see you all at CCR this year in Utah, as long as your Nav IIs guide you here without dropping satellites too often!!!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in