Nav III Map Woes - What To Next - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Nav III Map Woes - What To Next

This appears to be a common problem (and admittedly old), but new to me and very much appreciate guidance....

After years of laziness upgraded Maps (bought lifetime) upgrade for a 2009 Navigator III only to discover they don't fit - what used to hold all of North America now holds 4-5 states. I can continuously swap states during trips, but I ride the LT long and hard - 4-5 states might be an average day.

Have other found a work-around that works? Am I missing something?
Have other upgraded GPS units? Is so, what works well? Are there pinouts available for the cable mount of the NAV 3 than can be adapted?

Appreciate any feedback given this is likely old news.
jp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:30 pm

Re: Nav III Map Woes - What To Next

I'm not sure what a Nav III is in Garmin normal product but you need to go to a SD card to hold all the maps. You need to get at least 4GB but I would suggest 8GB and you should be set for a while. Garmin map update will spill your maps onto the SD automagically... If you insert it when it calls for it.

According to Garmin it does not slow the GPS down having maps on the SD card.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 29 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks - The BMW Navigator III is the BMW version of the Garmin 2820 - it does not have an AD card option. I stuck pondering how the Maps could have grown an order of magnitude in 4 years, but if that's the case I need to upgrade. Just wondering how folks may have approached that - technically and aesthetically.

Any inpyt appreciated.

post #4 of 29 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP09LT View Post
Thanks - The BMW Navigator III is the BMW version of the Garmin 2820 - it does not have an AD card option. I stuck pondering how the Maps could have grown an order of magnitude in 4 years, but if that's the case I need to upgrade. Just wondering how folks may have approached that - technically and aesthetically.

Any inpyt appreciated.
In 2008 when I bought our K1200LT it had the BMW NAVI (Garming Street Pilot III)installed on a BMR shelf. The GPS was original equipment on the motorcycle when the motorcycle was new (an LTE). In 2011 I replaced the aging NavI with a Garmin Zumo 220. I can answer your aesthetic part pretty easy. On picture is of the old NavI and the other is of the Zumo 220.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 2:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a 2009 LT with a Nav III+ and it would overlay everything until last year. That was when it started doing what you describe. I could only update a few states. I could get my PC updated for the whole thing, just not the GPS.
Also mine does not have a memory card so that doesn't help.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #6 of 29 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Guys;

There is a way. I have a 2820 and have 2014 NA maps on it.

You have to format all the info, install the basic operating software and then install the maps, not for the faint of hearts!!

Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not!!

I was also looking at upgrading to a SD slotted gps but decided to try first.

Very slow to operate but should work for this year.

Bowdon
post #7 of 29 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 3:24 pm

On my 2820 maps kept getting bigger and bigger. Had to leave out Mexico, then Canada. This years are even bigger. I had to strip out all the music files and extra data like tracks still couldn't get it all. Left last years maps in it. No more updates for that unit. Funny thing is I had a little more memory on my 2720 for some reason.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 29 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 7:25 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

If you're asking about the BMW Nav III....
No SD Card.
No Music.
I've had this problem with Europe maps since 2010.
It's messy, but what I do is wipe the old data completely to maximize
space then load just a part of the EU total. Say the UK or France.
I can then load the rest which IIRC runs about 3.-- Gb.
It fits.
No issues with usability, but it does take a little longer to load maps
on initial start up. You see a progress bar along the bottom of the screen.

Works for me.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 29 Old Mar 5th, 2014, 7:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for the support and guidance - good to know others have adaptations strategies for the problem. Still considering options as I wait for the Northeast to thaw (current dynamics indicate I have some time).

Appreciate the help.
post #10 of 29 Old Mar 5th, 2014, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Problem resolved (for now). FWIW - here is the workflow that will work, and the scenario as it played out for me (Garmin Tech support responded superbly to my email in <24 hours).

1) I order map update via the Garmin Website - the site recognized the USB-attached BMW Navigator III
2) I was given the opportunity to immediately load the maps via the website, which I tried. I was told the entire North America Map set would not fit, and to either select from a set of 6 large subsets, or download the maps to my PC to load in a custom fashion. One of the options in the subset was "Lower 49 States". I opted to download the maps to my PC
3) After downloading the maps, I was encouraged to use Garmin's Express software to transfer the maps. After installing and running Express I was informed it did not support my device. I was encouraged to use Map Installer.
4) After installing and running Map Installer I found it was only showed a fraction of available memory, and my ability to load maps was limited to 5 states.
5) I also tried using BaseCamp to load maps - same result as (5)

The problem it seems is the newer apps do not install the maps in the right location.

The CORRECT way to load the maps is to use Map Updater:

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

This will use the web and recreate scenario (2) - download a large subset from here directly to the GPS device. I successfuly got the lower 49 states, which is OK for now. This process takes 2 hours on a very powerful PC. If/when I need Canada, I'll need to go back for a different subset. I might try sideloading one or two of those via Basecamp just to see if the GPS is even reading from that memory location - but at least I have my bigger chuck and can spend my cash on a new macro lens and not a new GPS.

Thanks agin for the ideas and support.
jrp
post #11 of 29 Old Jun 28th, 2014, 7:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Problem resolved (for now). FWIW - here is the workflow that will work, and the scenario as it played out for me (Garmin Tech support responded superbly to my email in <24 hours).

1) I order map update via the Garmin Website - the site recognized the USB-attached BMW Navigator III
2) I was given the opportunity to immediately load the maps via the website, which I tried. I was told the entire North America Map set would not fit, and to either select from a set of 6 large subsets, or download the maps to my PC to load in a custom fashion. One of the options in the subset was "Lower 49 States". I opted to download the maps to my PC
3) After downloading the maps, I was encouraged to use Garmin's Express software to transfer the maps. After installing and running Express I was informed it did not support my device. I was encouraged to use Map Installer.
4) After installing and running Map Installer I found it was only showed a fraction of available memory, and my ability to load maps was limited to 5 states.

The problem it seems is the newer apps do not install the maps in the right location.

This will use the web and recreate scenario (2) - download a large subset from here directly to the GPS device. I successfuly got the lower 49 states, which is OK for now. This process takes 2 hours on a very powerful PC. If/when I need Canada, I'll need to go back for a different subset. I might try sideloading one or two of those via Basecamp just to see if the GPS is even reading from that memory location - but at least I have my bigger chuck and can spend my cash on a new macro lens and not a new GPS.

jrp
When I contacted tech support, I was politely told that I was SOL as the newer maps simply were not supported by my discontinued device. They suggested I can't act my BMW dealer for help! That was truly funny, but it was right there in the email.

I will give this a try, but I figured the old map updater program would not handle the new maps. I used to use this, but Garmin updated me to mapinstall and then to Express, which doesn't even recognize the device. I had to keep mapinstall for my Nav 3, but it no longer can access the newer maps. I am surprised that mapupdater is able to access the new maps.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:01 pm

Angry Re: Nav III Map Woes - What To Next

I have also contacted Garmin regarding my Nav III. I've had a problem with it since I bought my '07 new. The unit would, on it's own, go to the calibration screen, zoom in or out, go to the "save location" window. I was told to do a reset. That worked for a while and then back to the same stuff. They had be reload the software and several other fixes. None of this has worked and the problem has become so bad that I just shut it off. I called them last week, quite angry that a $600 piece of equipment doesn't work right. I was told they couldn't do anything under the warranty, even though they have my record of problems going back to '07. (Oh, I also purchased their "Lifetime Map Updates") They offered me a replacement deal, $200 for a Zumo 550. I asked if my "Lifetime Map Update" could be transferred. NOPE. it is only good for the unit that it is purchased for!! I asked how that can be if the unit is defective. They said it was only good for the "lifetime" of the device. Then they told me that it wouldn't be good for the Nav III even if it worked fine because "it's an older device and our maps have changed" HUH???????? So to any of you who purchased the Garmin Lifetime Map Update, you're all out of luck. It seems Garmin determines when your devices "useful life" is over. How can this be if it's a "Lifetime Map Update"????? This is a class action waiting to happen. I can't believe BMW partners with an outfit like this.

I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of problem with Garmin but I'd be interested in knowing.

Joe
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowlandesq View Post
I have also contacted Garmin regarding my Nav III. I've had a problem with it since I bought my '07 new. The unit would, on it's own, go to the calibration screen, zoom in or out, go to the "save location" window. I was told to do a reset. That worked for a while and then back to the same stuff. They had be reload the software and several other fixes. None of this has worked and the problem has become so bad that I just shut it off. I called them last week, quite angry that a $600 piece of equipment doesn't work right. I was told they couldn't do anything under the warranty, even though they have my record of problems going back to '07. (Oh, I also purchased their "Lifetime Map Updates") They offered me a replacement deal, $200 for a Zumo 550. I asked if my "Lifetime Map Update" could be transferred. NOPE. it is only good for the unit that it is purchased for!! I asked how that can be if the unit is defective. They said it was only good for the "lifetime" of the device. Then they told me that it wouldn't be good for the Nav III even if it worked fine because "it's an older device and our maps have changed" HUH???????? So to any of you who purchased the Garmin Lifetime Map Update, you're all out of luck. It seems Garmin determines when your devices "useful life" is over. How can this be if it's a "Lifetime Map Update"????? This is a class action waiting to happen. I can't believe BMW partners with an outfit like this.

I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of problem with Garmin but I'd be interested in knowing.

Joe
The "lifetime" they're referring to is the lifetime of the device, not your lifetime. And they decide what the lifetime is. If you read the fine print when you buy a lifetime map update, you'll find that stated pretty clearly. Also, unlike "internet wisdom" says, there is no commitment to doing four updates per year. That has been their custom, but I believe they have just dropped to two per year in Europe. And that is within the terms of their "lifetime maps". One might want to quibble with their use of the term "lifetime".

I understand your frustration. The Nav is a computer. The computer makers have done a pretty good job of getting us conditioned that old hardware will not indefinitely be upgradeable to current software. You don't hear too much complaining about that; most people accept it as a fact of life in the high-tech world.

Garmin is faced with the same difficulties; they are trying to add new features in the software and in the maps, and that inevitably requires faster devices with more memory. No different than the problems Apple faces with old iPhones (I just had to buy a new phone so I could run the current iOS) and Macs (katnapinn just bought a new Mac for the same reason), and Microsoft faces with old PC's (of which I have a shelffull).

Now, some of that can be mitigated with customer service. Offering trade-in deals, for example. Some people will find those reasonable, some will not. I guess you're in the "not" category.

Last edited by JimE; Jul 22nd, 2014 at 2:17 pm.
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
The "lifetime" they're referring to is the lifetime of the device, not your lifetime.
Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that statement. Perfection!!!

- Joe
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 2:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Joe
I have much the same problem. I bought my Nav III 6 or so years ago. It was DOA and Garmin was good about replacing it. I now have the map update issues and on my current trip to NS and NL it has done weird things like go into calibration mode and act as though I touched the screen when I haven't. So, something is starting to fail in the touchscreen or other system.

It sucks that their isn't a better solution, but from what I understand the other GPS makers suck even more than Garmin, so I will probably stick with them. I find that my ipad works well and I use it in my car more than my Nuvi. However, unless Apple makes a weatherproof version, I will need to buy something for my LT. I hear the Nav 4 is plug and play, but that is likely near end of life also. The Nav 5 apparently has a quite different interface. I am looking at the 590LM and may try to get it to talk to my VOICE II intercom.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 2:04 pm

Quote:
They offered me a replacement deal, $200 for a Zumo 550.

Joe
$200 for a 550 is a deal. Used are going for a lot more than that. There are lots of other Garmin models that you can get new with 'lifetime' maps and and traffic and bigger screens for less but none that will act like the M/C units and allow you to stop recalculation at every turn off.

If you go for the 550 you will also need a min 4GB SD card (I suggest 8GB) and lifetime maps.. probably about $55 on Amazon or EBay..

Also note that 'lifetime' maps also expire if you don't update the unit for two calendar years.. You must read the fine print...

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #17 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
The "lifetime" they're referring to is the lifetime of the device, not your lifetime. And they decide what the lifetime is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that statement. Perfection!!!
Ya, that was pretty darn funny.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 25th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Jack I should receive my Zumo 550 in the mail sometime this week. My question is did you splice into the old nav 111 wiring or remove the plastic and rewire. Also any tips on mounting the 550.
Steve

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #19 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Thumbs up Re: Nav III Map Woes - What To Next

Quote:

jrp
The above link worked just fine! I now have the latest maps on my NAV III.

L. Jay Keeran
K6LJK
2009 LT "USS Defiant"

post #20 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve View Post
Jack I should receive my Zumo 550 in the mail sometime this week. My question is did you splice into the old nav 111 wiring or remove the plastic and rewire. Also any tips on mounting the 550.

Steve

I did not have a BMW branded GPS I had a Garmin sp111. I just used same 12v pickup point for the 550 and put it on my BMR copilot shelf.

I like GPS at eye level on the copilot shelf and I leave it powered hot so the timers will run during the day so I can keep track of stopped time during a busy travel day.

I also use a Touratech locking mount so I don't need to keep an eye on the GPS during gas/potty stops in busy places.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #21 of 29 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 6:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi all,

Before I proceed any further on trying JP09LT's cure for updating my '07 LT's Nav III GPS, I assume you purchased the One-Time map update, since the "Lifetime" for the Nav III has already been exceeded. When I went on the Garmin website, it gave me the message in red font that the One-Time is not compatible with StreetPilot devices. Do we just disregard this message and go ahead and spend the $50 or did you guys follow a different path that I am unaware of? Thanks!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #22 of 29 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 8:14 pm

My guess would be that you are wasting your money upgrading the maps. The current maps use a crazy amount of space and require firmware in the GPS to handle the newer format.

Depending on your needs and budget you can probably purchase a off the shelf 'new' GPS with maps for not much more than the cost of a map update that Garmin says is not compatible with your unit.

I had an SPIII originally and upgraded to a Zumo 550 4 or 5 years ago and technology is already passing me by again. I looking at getting a GS and I will probably bite the bullet and go for a Nav 5 (because of the integration, not so much function).

I had my Zumo crap out two years ago before a trip. I sent to to Garmin for repair and bought a 765T from eBay for $100 and another $50 for LifeTime Maps (cheaper than a single upgrade) before I left. To my surprise they returned the 550 to me before I left so I just added the 765T to my CoPilot shelf to use it as a speedometer. I was going on a 4K Canadian trip. Had lots of rain and the GPS was not affected by the weather.

Just my 2 cents..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #23 of 29 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 5:39 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

A newer GPS would be the best way to go, however...
My trusty Nav III is still working fine.
A longish write up of utilizing all available memory...

Please read carefully.. Garmin Map Update and Garmin Mapinstall

Installing Garmin Map Updates on BMW Nav III ( aka Garmin 2820 but some important differences )

Mac OSX 10.10.1 BaseCamp version 4.4.6

As I see it there are two issues.
1. Limited on board memory with this Garmin BMW III Unit (2 Gb ) with no removable SD card.
2. Slow USB driver from Garmin. ( At least with regards to communications using Garmin Mapinstall

Well firstly it's not that hard, but it will take a sh*t load of patience.
Here is what worked for me....
Power up the Nav III with the power adaptor and USB plugged in and connected to you computer.
Make sure the computer / laptop is also running on a power adaptor.
Start the Nav III holding down the find button until prompted to clear all user data. Agree.

I wanted to update my maps from City Navigator Europe NT 2012.2 to City Navigator Europe NT 2015.2
Using MyGarmin login, I'm told the update is available ( but not compatible for my BMW Nav III device. This is due to the space restraints )
I install Garmin Express, and that says doesn't work with the Nav III, I need to install Garmin Map Update. ( A good idea as it will be current )
Using Garmin Map Update select the advanced button and there are 3 options
1. Install on Device.
2. Install on Computer and Device.
3. Install on Computer.

Note: I had already downloaded this map update to my computer for use in BaseCamp using option 3.

Select 1. Install on Device. It will say insufficient space select a smaller map region.
This will give you multiple options to choose one other map region that will fit.
Choose this one carefully, make it the most useful for your main riding area.
Remember this is done within Garmin Map Update !
I used UK & Ireland which is 358.3 Mb. This download and install took about 20-30 minutes. Guess it will vary with size.
N.B. The increased size of this file ( in contrast to manually selecting the maps manually ) I think is due to the inclusion of parts of Western France

And that is the end of the first hurdle.......

Looking on the Nav III ( Menu - Settings - About - Detail Maps ) I now have...
CN Europe NT 2015.20
[ 1 ] CN Europe NT 2015.20 UK & Ireland

BMW Motorrad
[ 1 ] BMW Motorrad Worldwide v5.00

These two data sets are now set, and will not be deleted even by resetting all user data again ( i.e. Start up holding the find button. etc etc )
or by using Garmin Mapinstall to install additional maps.

And now the second hurdle.......

Remember : I had already downloaded this map update to my computer for use in BaseCamp using option 3.

Using Garmin Mapinstall select the map regions remaining that you want to have on the Nav III.
You will have a memory remaining bar along the bottom of the map to gauge how many you can load.
Select large areas by dragging around them or select individual maps by clicking. Deselect by ( command / clicking )
This is going to be a loooooooooong..... transfer and my advise is to max out your Nav III remaining memory.
The reason is that any future map transfers using Garmin Mapinstall will delete and overwrite these maps. [2]..... ( see below )

Notes: Best to start this process overnight. I set up my computer to never sleep, not to spin down the HD, no screen saver etc
Don't need to be connected to the internet, no other programs running. etc etc.
Use the computer screen dim function to almost black, and remember the Nav III screen brightness to manual 5% - 10%

Hopefully when you wakeup or in about 3 days time..... Actually 24 hours and 48 mins

Again looking on the Nav III ( Menu - Settings - About - Detail Maps ) you should now see.....

CN Europe NT 2015.20
[ 1 ] CN Europe NT 2015.20 UK & Ireland
[ 2 ] "A list of the maps you selected to install using " Garmin Mapinstall ................

N.B. USING Garmin Mapinstall TO LOAD THE REMAINING MAPS WILL NOT OVERWRITE PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED BY Garmin Map Update MAPS.
EG. UK AND IRELAND MAP SET INSTALLED USING Garmin Map Update INCLUDES SOME OF WESTERN FRANCE
WHICH MEANS THAT WHEN USING Garmin Mapinstall TO LOAD FOR EXAMPLE, MAPS INCLUDING THE AREAS AROUND CALAIS,
NOTHING APPEARS TO HAPPEN !!!

BMW Motorrad
[ 1 ] BMW Motorrad Worldwide v5.00

And that's it !

Remember any further map installs using Garmin Mapinstall will delete the previously installed additional maps [ 2 ] ....
but leave the primary Map [ 1 ] and BMW dealer base intact.
That's why I recommend carefully choosing that first transfer map and then maxing out the memory on the subsequent transfer.
I find that having a maximised map set doesn't slow the Nav III down that I notice and I've never run out of memory for POI's or
track recording etc. I do download my trips on a regular bases though.

A few further thoughts.....
The only way I know to overwrite the primary map [ 1 ] .... is to use Garmin Map Update. Otherwise it's pretty much bullet proof.
Interestingly the transfer time for CN Europe NT 2015.20 UK & Ireland, (358.3 Mb) which was the reduced map size option I selected, was only about 25 minutes using Garmin Map Update
BUT selecting manually the UK & Ireland maps in Garmin Mapinstall the transfer time was over 4 hours although the File size was about 260 Mb. Go figure....

Using the Nav III on the mac, I wasn't able to find a way to "mount" the device on my desktop. Maybe different with the Garmin 2820. or using a windows OS.
Getting down to a file / folder level on Garmin devices to clear out space, probable isn't a good idea. I don't say it cannot be done, but the Garmin software, although
annoyingly slow, does work.
Loading the mapping data to a SD Card or such takes only minutes. But unfortunately for the Nav III or 2820 that is not an option.
I've read up loads of stuff about the USB drivers that Garmin uses, but it seems really, really slow in Garmin Mapinstall

Hope this helps someone.

Extra thoughts...
Map [ 1 ] was 2012.20 UK & Ireland and left about 1709 Mb Free
Map update 2015.20 UK & Ireland used 358.3 Mb leaving 1637 Mb Free
The remaining EU maps need about 3.2 Gb IIRC

The Nav III connected says that 1.01 Mb is used with no other maps manually selected.
Not sure how that is because the UK & Ireland is 358.3 Mb including a section of Western France as zooming in, as details are already there.
eg Coastal maps around Calais, Dunkirk etc

Using Mapinstall for just these French coastal maps results in no extra maps. ie [2]........ as they are already installed as part of UK & Ireland.

Note: When re-launching Mapinstall the previously manually selected maps will still be active !! (Command / click) to deselect or alter your selected maps (on the Mac )

From memory the rest of Europe ( After updating using UK & Ireland ) was about 1,600 Mb too big to fit on the internal memory of the Nav III.

Reduced by deselecting southern Spain, Portugal, Italy, Eastern Europe etc.
My install ( manually selecting map regions ) left 10.3 Mb of free space....
After Install 11.3 mb free ( presume because of the overlap of maps in France ) although the difference is not reflected in the file size difference. Almost 100 Mb ??

Garmin Mapinstall will not overwrite maps installed using Garmin Map Update

Total install time 24 hours and 48 mins !!!!!!! Yikes

Good Luck.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #24 of 29 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 12:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Hilton,

Over 24 hours on a Mac - WOW! Thanks for the comprehensive write up. I'll give it a try, but don't know if my Mac Air or new Dell desktop would be faster. I might try the Dell first. I agree with your comment about getting a new GPS, but I'm trying to wean out as much time on my Nav III before biting the bullet and buying a 590LM. When you did the Nav III map updates, did you purchase the one-time or life-time maps?

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #25 of 29 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 5:24 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Sorry for the late reply Dave. Been moving house.
Just did the one time update.
As mentioned in earlier posts the lifetime updates are for the unit.
Not much use with the NavIII as it's already out of date.
I have a fairly fast mac, the speed issues are driver related not CPU.
Perhaps the Dell ( Windows ) driver may be faster.
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #26 of 29 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 2:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks all, for the replies and suggestions, especially Hilton. Unfortunately, I was unable to get it to work - I had purchased the one-time map update and tried to download it first onto the Nav III using my Mac laptop, and after it gave me an error message following an hour of "data transfer", I tried to re-download it onto the laptop, but after 30 hours there was no sign of the file on the laptop. I called Garmin support, who were very helpful, after first qualifying that the Nav III was no longer supported, and verified that my "purchase" had not been activated and approved a refund of my $50. I now plan to bite the bullet and buy a 590LM with a Touratech lock. I have to admit, I'm not the most technically proficient as it comes to loading or manipulating software, so it could have been me...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #27 of 29 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 7:07 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Sorry to hear the update didn't work Dave.
The new nav is the way to go, and great that Garmin reimbursed the $$.
I'm just putting off the inevitable, but so far the Nav III still works fine.

Cheers

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #28 of 29 Old Apr 10th, 2015, 7:08 pm

I have had some luck with this, with using the original mapsource software. See below. I follow instructions, change options to download to computer only. then select what to send to gps. Good luck this was directly from Garmin.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
After years of offering devices like yours with mapping data up to 4 times a year, I am sorry to inform you that your device has reached its end of life due to both hardware limitation of the device and improvements in mapping technology.
If you would like to can try to run the Garmin Map Updater program (linked below) to see if you are able to still install an update. However we are not able to offer support if there is an issue.
Garmin Map Updater PC:

Garmin Map Updater Mac:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg
To continue getting updates you may need to update to a newer device such as the BMW Navigator IV or V. Please see your local BMW dealer for information on upgrading your device.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

post #29 of 29 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 10:16 am

Sorry change option to install on gps and computer. If you have removed other voices and misc. non essential things you can fit the lower 48 on the nav III. good luck.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in