Inaccurate route elapsed time in Garmin Basecamp - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Inaccurate route elapsed time in Garmin Basecamp

Anyone else have this problem?

When creating routes pre-Basecamp (in Mapsource), my Nuvi and Mapsource always agreed on a route's estimated elapsed time within a minute or two. However, Basecamp has always severely overestimated the time it takes to complete a route. For instance, for the route I just created ("driving" activity profile), I get...

Nuvi 500: 2 h, 19 min
Mapsourse: 2 h, 19 min
Basecamp: 3 h, 41 min

My settings are identical for all three sources: map, speed settings, avoidances, etc. All three show an identical route with only Basecamp giving an odd-ball completion time.

What gives? Basecamp is flat out wrong, every time, for every map I've ever used, for every route I've ever created. I'm using Basecamp's latest version, 4.2.5.

Frustrating. Solution?

Thanks!!

2010 BMW R1200R
2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
Greenville, SC USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:30 am

Re: Inaccurate route elapsed time in Garmin Basecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Anyone else have this problem?

When creating routes pre-Basecamp (in Mapsource), my Nuvi and Mapsource always agreed on a route's estimated elapsed time within a minute or two. However, Basecamp has always severely overestimated the time it takes to complete a route. For instance, for the route I just created ("driving" activity profile), I get...

Nuvi 500: 2 h, 19 min
Mapsourse: 2 h, 19 min
Basecamp: 3 h, 41 min

My settings are identical for all three sources: map, speed settings, avoidances, etc. All three show an identical route with only Basecamp giving an odd-ball completion time.

What gives? Basecamp is flat out wrong, every time, for every map I've ever used, for every route I've ever created. I'm using Basecamp's latest version, 4.2.5.

Frustrating. Solution?

Thanks!!
No solution, a few thoughts that may trigger something.

You say "My (speed) settings are identical for all three sources...". Neither of my Zumos has any explicit speed settings. Maybe your Nuvi is different. BC has explicit settings on a per-profile basis for different type roads. Try setting all of them higher and see if the estimates improve. Set them to full max then full min and see what changes. If it doesn't change, then perhaps you're tweaking a different profile than your route is using.

I know the Zumos will "learn" your habits and adjust its estimates based on your historical averages on different roads. You can verify that by doing a master reset, thus removing user data, then watch its estimate of the same route change. Again, don't know about your Nuvi.

Back to BC...you ought to be able to "tune" its estimates by changing the average speed settings on different road types. I just played around with a test route and went from a 1 hr 39 min estimate down to 52 minutes by playing with those settings. If your other estimates are good ones, then it should be a simple matter to spend a few minutes with BC and come up with a set of speeds which match your historical data.

My experience with BC is pretty good in this regard. If yours is not, it has to be those settings. What are yours set to?
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 24th, 2014, 9:06 am Thread Starter

My Nuvi is like your Zumo, in that I doesn't have speed settings for diff types of roads to calc arrival times. But, Basecamp and Mapsource do and they're set identically, with Mapsource gives same results as the Nuvi.

I'll play around with manipulating the speeds in Basecamp to see if I can "trick" it into being more accurate. I can't help to think there's a setting I'm not finding that's out of whack, or a bug in the coding.

Edit: I played around with the speeds by road type. Man, I really have to crank up the speeds to an unrealistic level to get believable arrival times. Nobody else has this problem?

2010 BMW R1200R
2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
Greenville, SC USA

Last edited by brock29609; Feb 24th, 2014 at 9:18 am.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 24th, 2014, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
My Nuvi is like your Zumo, in that I doesn't have speed settings for diff types of roads to calc arrival times. But, Basecamp and Mapsource do and they're set identically, with Mapsource gives same results as the Nuvi.

I'll play around with manipulating the speeds in Basecamp to see if I can "trick" it into being more accurate. I can't help to think there's a setting I'm not finding that's out of whack, or a bug in the coding.

Edit: I played around with the speeds by road type. Man, I really have to crank up the speeds to an unrealistic level to get believable arrival times. Nobody else has this problem?
I just took a look at a little ride we did yesterday. The same route gives the following time estimates:
BC: 1:34
MS: 1:34
Google Maps: 1:30
Nav V: 1:20

Presumably the Nav V has learned my habits.

Anyway, my BC and MS average speed settings are identical:
67, 58, 45, 35, 25

which are, I believe, the defaults.

I assume you are using the same map sets with all parties. And you have verified that you're using the same profiles. So I have no other clues as to what's going on.

Why don't you post a gpx file with one of your routes that have a wacky time? I'll import it into my BC and see what it says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in