Garmin 2730 Audio Help Needed for 02' k1200lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 16th, 2006, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 2730 Audio Help Needed for 02' k1200lt

I am swapping out my Street Pilot III for the Garmin 2730.

I can not get the audio to work correctly through the comm system. It plays sporadically through the headset speakers. Sometimes you can hear the audio, and sometime there is silence. I tried setting the audio to both "line out" and "Headset". Headset setting works the best.

I do not believe this is an issue with the Garmin since it works correctly using head phone attached to the Garmin directly.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 17th, 2006, 8:55 am

In my case the Garmin Motorcycle Power/Audio cable does not make a good connection when I plug in my Autocom cord. I have to slightly pull out on the Autocom cord to make it work. There is no way to adjust the tension in the jack as it is sealed in rubber.

I have not contacted either Garmin or Autocom about the mismatch, so shame on me. I just made a thin rubber washer, cut from a wide rubber band, and placed it on the plug to provide enough tension to make contact.

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT
post #3 of 8 Old May 17th, 2006, 9:03 am

No Problems

I'm not having any trouble with mine. except for some corrosion growing on the slide on cord connector after an extended ride in the rain...

Are you using the motorcycle cord 2.5mm cable or the actual headphone jack on the side of the unit ?

I'm using the headphone jack on mine so I can send stereo to the comm system.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old May 17th, 2006, 10:17 am

Have you tried the built-in FM modulator? I wonder how that would work, since it saves me buying a cable and a splitter.
post #5 of 8 Old May 17th, 2006, 10:50 am Thread Starter

I am using the original wiring and audio cable that came with with StreetPilot III. I made a power adapter that goes from the round 4 pin to the 8 slide clip.

I am connecting the 2.5mm mono with a 3.5mm adapter to the audio output with the "Headphone" setting.
post #6 of 8 Old May 17th, 2006, 10:51 am Thread Starter

wcarter,

I have tried the FM modulator, it did not sound good. Lots of distortion.
post #7 of 8 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Figures it wouldn't be easy. Thanks for sharing, though.

The older StreetPilots (like the 2610) had mono sound output that connected (with a splitter) the Autocom "priority" port along with the cell phone. GPS voice prompts would "trump" the music input. Cool.

I asked Autocom about the sound output on the 2730. Since the line out is now stereo (for XM Radio, MP3 Player, Audibook Player, and voice prompts all together), they recommend running a cable to the music input, with a splitter since that's where the onboard stereo signal goes. No relative priority, so if you're listening to your CD player, iPod or whatever, when a GPS voice prompt comes in, I suppose the signals compete with one another. Anyone using a 2730 with an Autocom yet? Do the voice prompts "play well with others"?
post #8 of 8 Old May 18th, 2006, 9:23 am Thread Starter

wcarter,

I got the FM modulator to work. It can be somewhat confusing. I tried multiple channels, then finally one worked. If you hear static on a channel, one must not assume it will work. I found channels 104 to 107 to work. Some channels are clearer than others.

I can now play MP3's and it gets interrupted with GPS routing information.

I tried to use the 2730 Audio out (both Line out and headset mode), to the Aux in, but this created much background noise.

Thanks for you help on this one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in