GPS Question Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 15th, 2006, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

GPS Question Help

I'm the proud owner of a new K1200GT. I'm thinking of adding a GPS to the bike and the one that has interested me is the Garmin 2820. It has some features that seem great to me. Would like any feedback possible.
1. waterproof
2. able to record music onto the unit
3. blue tooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 15th, 2006, 3:43 pm
Bouncer

Since this unit isn't even out yet, I doubt you're going to get anything beyond what's on Garmin's site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old May 15th, 2006, 7:05 pm

I saw the 2820 on GetFeetWet and could not figure out why it was priced less than the 2730, since the 2820 seems to have all the features of the 2730, plus Bluetooth. I don't have a Bluetooth-capable phone, but I may eventually get one.

Then I figured out that the 2730 comes bundled with the antenna that is needed to receive XM radio (which I want) and weather info (which I probably would not pay for). Separately the antenna is fairly expensive.

If you want the subscriptions, add the cost of the antenna to the price of the 2820 (once available).

post #4 of 6 Old May 15th, 2006, 8:21 pm
Bouncer

Here's a review of the 2820:

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...2410MWEBV6.htm

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 6 Old May 16th, 2006, 1:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter

Then I figured out that the 2730 comes bundled with the antenna that is needed to receive XM radio (which I want) and weather info (which I probably would not pay for). ......
Oh, yeah you would.... With Garmin (an XM partner)
  • XM radio subscription = $9.95 / month...

Bundled service for the integrate 2730 (I know - I bought a year's worth right off) -->
  • XM & Weather & Traffic Data (w/ stock quotes!) = $3.99 / month TOTAL

I had my first experience of being re-routed due to traffic data here in Chicago --- tended not to believe it, and got caught in traffic; quickly took the next re-calculated (and unbelievable) route --- VERY cool results! I was all grins.

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

post #6 of 6 Old May 16th, 2006, 10:22 am
GJH

The 2820 is the same as the unit now being sold by BMW as the Navigator 3. I bought one last week for the LT and I am well impressed. I have not yet tried downloading music onto it but as a sat nav system it works very well.

The most amusing thing I have found so far is that the Nav 3 system comes with all BMW Motorrad dealers in Western Europe pre-programmed in...except the main dealer I bought both the bike and the Nav 3 from!!!!!

Gordon
K1200LTSE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in