GPS Gas stations, restaurant accuracy? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 6th, 2014, 12:05 am Thread Starter

GPS Gas stations, restaurant accuracy?

I was in Sierra Vista, AZ recently and looked for a place to eat, first place I picked out was no longer, second place was no longer, third place was no longer, fourth place was..........no longer...gave up using it and just rode around till I found something that looked interesting.

On my way there I pass a gas station, the only one, in between a couple of towns i the middle of no-where that doe not show up in the map Garmin uses--only been there abt ten years or so?

I run into this problem, place to eat constantly!! Ones list no longer there, others I find NOT listed!!

Anyone have any suggestions? Solutions?

I'm guessing that the solution lies in cell phone service to get on the internet and search that way vrs unreliable Garmin maps?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 6th, 2014, 7:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: GPS Gas stations, restaurant accuracy?

Bob,
Restaurants are the number one business that go in and out in business. My wife works for a local bank and they only loan money to them after the owner sing over everything they own to back the loan.

Sorry no solution, just the most likely reason they are not there when you arrive.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 6th, 2014, 7:24 am

I find that anyone that has Navteq maps are at least two to three years behind any updated information. I am living in a new development on a new street for the past two years, my street still does not show up with the latest Garmin and Mercedes map updates. It does not show the main road continuing to the road outside my subdivision. But at least this last Navteq update, the main road was extended close to the main road. Maybe next year my street will show up.

As for gas stations and restaurants, I assume the same thing, it may take three years for Navteq to add or delete anything in their database.

On the Navteq website, there is a place where you can email them updated information. I have never tried that.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 11th, 2014, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your time posting. unaware could send info to organization selling the maps.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:31 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Angry Re: GPS Gas stations, restaurant accuracy?

I am having the same issues and routing errors all the time. I did contact Garmin a few weeks ago and they have a place on there website to submit errors on the maps when places close. Its really helpful to everyone to report the closed or misplaced location. They update your findings on an update.

I have a Chevron station here in town and it is on the wrong side of the street. Sounds simple... BUT when you route to the gas station the GSP will takes you out of your way by a mile or so. Had the same issue last summer on the way to the MOA rally... The GPS would route me to gas stations that were closed...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2014, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I find that anyone that has Navteq maps are at least two to three years behind any updated information. I am living in a new development on a new street for the past two years, my street still does not show up with the latest Garmin and Mercedes map updates.
Update. My street now shows up on two of four map programs on my iPhone. My street shows up on Google Maps and iMaps, and does not show up on Maps and Telenav. It also shows up on Google maps on my computer.

I know that I missed one map update (Oct?) for my Garmin 2595 MC gps, but I plan on waiting until late January to update its map. I believe that Garmin provides four (quarterly (January, April, July, and October)) map updates per year for those with lifetime maps.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in