Garmin GPS questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Garmin GPS questions

In doing a search there was a lot of information, but not the answer to my question.

I was planning on buying a Garmin 2720, but the tech support line said, "do not connect to your Com unit, or it will damage the device." The female cord that comes with the motorcylcle mount is for connecting to headsets according to Garmin. So out goes the 2720.

My specific Question, I am upgrading to the 2610 and want the unit to go thru the BMW Com unit and have the voice prompts in my head set. Along with the 2610, what are all the other cables/connectors parts and pieces, etc that I need to make this unit work?

Buy.com has a good price ($470.00) for a new 2610, along with a net 49.95 after rebate for a Kingston 2GB card. Does anyone have experience dealing with Buy.com?

TIA...this has been the hardest farklke upgrade I have ever gone thru!!! Each Garmin unit has one neat feature and then one not so neat feature. I already have the BMR shelf with the cross bar mount and a new Touratech mount...IMHO, the only way to go, a secure mount just out of line of sight.

John F
Cincinnati, OH

John F
Cincinnati, OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Quote:
but the tech support line said, "do not connect to your Com unit, or it will damage the device."
That seems odd. While I freely admit to NOT being a GPS expert, I thought the 2610 and 2720 used the same mounting hardware. I'm sure someone here who has a 2720 will pipe in and let us all know for sure.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #3 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Just bought the 2730

I didn't want to have to buy a com system for a GPS. The 2730 has an internal transmitter, you program into your radio station. It's a little more, but it also has XM radio. I can let you know how it turns out.

post #4 of 5 Old May 8th, 2006, 11:07 pm

What did that 2730 Run you ?

Where did you purchase the 2730 ? Curious to hear if it it works well with the transmit feature

Tom O'
Porterville, CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 5 Old May 9th, 2006, 1:58 am

I've had my 2730 mounted for about a month now.

The FM transmitter works well enough (100.1 seems to work in the Chicago area, everywhere in Wisconsin I've been with it --- but changing the transmit frequency is actually pretty simple / fast; a 30 second shoulder pull off).

The 2730 also has an audio out (which I'm looking at to use to source the Voice-II intercom, should I invest in that --- but after lights!). I have read somewhere on the forums that the BMW mount's power dongle (which on a 2005 is for the extra buttons on the cradle) are only compatible with the ROM of the Streetpilot-III series devices (not the 26** and 27** series).

I've posted other notes about the 2730, and mounts for it.

See Post 7432, Post 55744 and Post 60350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in