Help with mounting a GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 6th, 2006, 11:23 am Thread Starter

Help with mounting a GPS

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm doing this right.
I bought a 2000 1200lt last year and would like to mount my Garmin 76S to it.
My first question is has anyone used this GPS for touring and how did you mount it and how did it perform.

If it didn't function well what unit would you recommend.
I'll be taking a 4000 mi trip in June and going through New York City so a GPS is a must.
Thanks
Carmen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 6th, 2006, 2:04 pm

I have upgraded to an iWay 500c on a BMR shelf now but I used to put my Garmin GPSMAP 76 in the map pouch of my BMW tank bag. I ran the power cable to the rider powerlet. Of course the 76 or 76S do not have all the bells and whistles of the more pricey units; no point to point autorouting, color screen, voice directions, etc.. The screen is also relatively difficult to see unless you have eyes like a hawk.

There are numerous mounting options and the Gadget Mounts section of the FAQ is a good place to start:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...q_gadgetmounts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 5 Old May 6th, 2006, 3:15 pm

These seem to fit the bill. http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps76s.htm Use the 4th item down and the wiring below it. Instead of the "U" bolt mount, I drilled two holes through the little windshield wings to mount the ball or you can use the ball mount that goes on the clutch reservoir cover. Because the 76S is small, this might work for you to have it closer to view.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

post #4 of 5 Old May 6th, 2006, 5:06 pm

I tried a few options including the costly BMW mount, I ended up going with the BMR Co-Pilot shelf, deadsimple to install, even include the drill bit needed.

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...=010_CPK1200LT

I ran my power connections into the light assembly underneath.

Bruce
post #5 of 5 Old May 6th, 2006, 10:41 pm

The BMR shelf and make bracket to mount.. I rigged mine to a relay that is active when the ignition is on... it powers the shelf off when the engine is cranked...that way I don't get big power hits...

See my other post with a link to my pics.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in