Garmin Streetpilot III Memory Card - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Streetpilot III Memory Card

Hello All,

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III in Europe. I have two cards for it, a 128 MB and a 256 MB. I would like to be able to load more maps, for a trip I have coming up where I will be away for 24 days.

It is possible to buy additional cards given that this is a older discontinued model now, or more percisely is it possible to buy 3rd party cards for this model? If so, from where,

I have an instinct that there may not be memory cards available, and of course as it is a little old now, it makes no sense to pay two to three hundred Euro for a 256 MB card from Germin.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbreen
Hello All,

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III in Europe. I have two cards for it, a 128 MB and a 256 MB. I would like to be able to load more maps, for a trip I have coming up where I will be away for 24 days.

It is possible to buy additional cards given that this is a older discontinued model now, or more percisely is it possible to buy 3rd party cards for this model? If so, from where,

I have an instinct that there may not be memory cards available, and of course as it is a little old now, it makes no sense to pay two to three hundred Euro for a 256 MB card from Germin.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark
Hi Mark,

I've got a bog-standard BMW Navigator II+ (identical to a Garmin 2620) - I've got a 2Gig card in mine - easily available (or send me a PM, and I'll get one out to you) - for abouy 50 quid - you can put all of Europe detail mapping, plus North Africa base line mapping, plus you're routes etc., etc., - any probs, just ask ...

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Sorry Mark...but the SPIII only takes up to a 256 memory card. And yes, they are proprietary. No other third-party card will work in them. And my friend told me that the newly-released Garmin 512 card would not work in his SPIII.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Hi Mark,

I've got a bog-standard BMW Navigator II+ (identical to a Garmin 2620) - I've got a 2Gig card in mine - easily available (or send me a PM, and I'll get one out to you) - for abouy 50 quid - you can put all of Europe detail mapping, plus North Africa base line mapping, plus you're routes etc., etc., - any probs, just ask ...
Hello Wolly,

Thanks for the offer, but do you think that the 2 GB card will work in my Streetpilot III, see the next post after yours from Joe, Joes comment is what I feared, and I do not want to bring the laptop with me to just download maps!

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Talking

@ MarkBreen - Hi
The 2GB card will not work as you suspect, 256mb is the max....where the hell you going that you need all that much more?? I use 2x 128mb. One for Uk and another for Europe. albeit the 128 for Europe can be tight, but 256mb should sort you no probs. I'm doing a 10 country tour in August and got all of them on 2x 128 meg cards....Tell me where your going, I want to follow you
If you don't already know, a little secret is to select your route, then using the menus in Mapsource, automatically select the maps around your route, cuts out the extra that I keep thinking I might need. You still get basic info if you stray off a map, just not hotels, fuel, and the like.

Or

Put Ireland, the bits of the UK you need, plus whatever other countries will fit on the small card, then Europe on the other. Sorted

Have Fun.

Oh, and if anybody has a 256 for sale, I'm yer man

http://www.maplin.co.uk then In/Car, GPS, Data cards 256 at 140 tried to post the whole link but was a page long!
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Just read your profile...Russia, eh! Then you might want another 256 card or two..lol...don't think you will get detailed map info from Garmin tho...St Petersbursg per chance?
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 9:11 pm

256 Meg on E-Bay

I bought my 256 card on e-bay. There are 2 there now. Here is one of them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-256-MB-da...QQcmdZViewItem

I searched on Garmin+256

Last edited by FridayBob; Apr 30th, 2006 at 9:15 pm. Reason: add search info
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Also be aware of one prob with the 256M: it makes the SPIII incredibly slow in calculating or recalculating routes. If you thought 128Meg was slow (and you did, and it was), well 256 is even slower. It doesn't really matter, though. If you put 256Meg in the GPS, you will use it all the time.
post #9 of 12 Old May 1st, 2006, 4:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbreen
Hello All,

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III in Europe.
Mark
... whoops, sorry Mark, misread your original post - read it as Navigator III, not Street Pilot III . BTW, after our little trip to the Sahara, we're also planning a run out to St. Petersburg later in the year - Newcastle-Amsterdam, through Holland, Germany, turn left in Poland, up through the Baltic States and into Russia...

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #10 of 12 Old May 1st, 2006, 9:07 am

Mark,

I have a 128M card sitting here. It's yours if you want it. Just PM me with your info. I have no need for it anymore

Cheers
Ed

Ed Bruce
post #11 of 12 Old May 1st, 2006, 9:50 am

Mark,

You can buy the cards from Garmin, here:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_f...u=010-00232-10

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #12 of 12 Old May 1st, 2006, 2:00 pm

Mark,

Got your PM.. Its on its way

Cheers

Ed Bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in