Garmin 2730 experiences - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 2:03 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Garage
Garmin 2730 experiences

I need to purchase a new GPS and was thinking about the new Garmin 2730 with the built in XM. Has anyone had any experience with it? I witnessed a brief demo and the screen looks awesome but it looked rather cumbersome to shift back and forth between navigation and the XM screen. Secondly, I know the unit comes with built-in street level maps. What about route planning? Can you still do it? In the past I could take my 2610 up to my computer and download a route I figured out. I want to be able to still do that. Is the 2720 the same as the 2730 without the XM? Any comments?

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 8:29 am

I am also looking seriously at the 2730. Is anyone on the board running one and if so, give us your review! Dick
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 9:22 am

Talking My 2730 is up and running

After a fair amount of research, including lots of input from this message board, I selected the Garmin 2730 for a few main reasons:
1. built-in XM radio,
2. Ease of use,
3. integration into the BMW VOICE II system,
4. Flexibility of moving the unit to my car, or my Harley.

I had the installation done on my 05 LT by California BMW in Mt. View California. They did a super job. I brought in the 2730 and a BMR co-pilot shelf. The installation went well and the finished results were exactly what I had hoped for. Seamless integration into the sound system. Easily read maps and quick plotting. I have the XM Nav Traffic so the system alerts me to traffic congestion and plots an alternate route, if I so desire. The XM radio sounds great and works well in the system. The BMW volume control on the handbar works well, although you must use the screen for changing channels.

I really like the placement of the unit above the dash, on the BMR shelf, because I only have to lower my eyes slightly to see the map, as compared to the placement of the BMW Nav system on the stingray.

All in all, I'm frickin' delighted with the Garmin 2730 and would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm leaving Thursday for a 1700 mile trip and will give the 2730 a real workout. Can't wait for Thursday!

Ride safe.

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 9:44 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Garage
Thanks for the update. How hard is it to switch from navigation to the XM? and can you download routes?

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #5 of 25 Old May 30th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Getting in on this thread a little late, and I don't have any specific knowledge on the LT, but I do have ~11K miles on my 2730.

Yes, you can download new maps to the unit via the USB interface on the back. This is the same USB interface that the XM antenna connects to, so you will have to disconnect your music source before you download.

On my last trip, I found it takes 4 button presses to get from the main map screen to the XM radio screen. Just press the Map button four times quickly, and you're there. Three times will get you to the stats page (odometer, miles to destination, average speed, stop time, etc), and two times will get you to the turn by turn directions. If you pause too long between button presses, the next press of the Map button will return you to the map.

I'm curious to hear whether an LT wired for the BMW Navigator II would accept the 2730 in it's place? It looks to be the same power connector, so other than not having the stereo output (the 2610/Navigator II were mono output since it was just voice).
post #6 of 25 Old May 30th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Garmin376C (276C, 376C and 476C) is the same unit with a few more buttons for navigating pages. These are their marine units.
One button to push from nav to XM.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #7 of 25 Old May 30th, 2006, 4:09 pm
tjc

I recently replaced a 2620 with a 2730. I have it mounted on a Touratech lockable mount on the stingray (easier for me to reach on the fly). I had the 2620 on a BMR dashboard, but with the Touratech mount the windshield couldn't be lowered all of the way. Both GPS's are the same form factor, so I didn't have to change my mount. I did spend a Saturday morning routing a stereo plug for the music side, instead of the mono sound port used previously. I mounted the XM antennae on the BMR mount & get great reception. I tried it buried under some of the tupperware, but the reception was poor. I have an Autocom & use the BMW aux. plug into the back of the radio.

If you customize your view options, you can have the current playlist, or XM station info displayed in the corner of your nav map. You can then just touch the section of the display with the info & it takes you straight to the XM (or MP3, or ebook - depending on what's playing) screen in 1 touch. It's actually very cool - you don't really need to bounce back & forth unless you're changing stations, etc.

The only thing I would wish for would be a CF card to load additional MP3's - there's not much space for MP3's in the RAM compared to an Ipod & would be great to just pop the card in & out, instead of dragging the entire GPS in to the computer. It's a minor issue for me since I'm listening to XM most of the time anyway.

I'm still waiting for Garmin to come through with their promised MAC interface, so I haven't downloaded a route from CitySource yet.

I'll download a picture of the screen as I have it set up when I get home tonight...

Tim
post #8 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:25 pm

just got it

Ok ordered the mount from garmin, not enough, plus with the mount on top of the radio it blocks all the dummy lights and the turn signals went with double lock velcro, worked fine on the dash mount, but wanted it lower, prefer to be able to see a little more up top.

as far as the 2730, well I tell you, the radio transmitter is a little to be desired, it works, but lots of interference. Need I say more.

rpeve
K1200LTC 2000
KLR650
dr350
TM 250
Never enough money to do it right, but always enough money to do it over.
post #9 of 25 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy

I'm curious to hear whether an LT wired for the BMW Navigator II would accept the 2730 in it's place? It looks to be the same power connector, so other than not having the stereo output (the 2610/Navigator II were mono output since it was just voice).
Charlie,

My 2006 LT came pre-wired for the BMW Navigator II. I sent a photo of the factory wiring to Garmin & asked them if the 2730 would work with it. They assured me that it would. I ordered a 2730 tonight from Costco. They had them on sale at a price I just couldn't pass up.

-Kevin

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #10 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for the confirmation Kevin.
post #11 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Can you install Garmin 2730 on the SPIII location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
Charlie,

My 2006 LT came pre-wired for the BMW Navigator II. I sent a photo of the factory wiring to Garmin & asked them if the 2730 would work with it. They assured me that it would. I ordered a 2730 tonight from Costco. They had them on sale at a price I just couldn't pass up.

-Kevin
They do have a good price...
Now I'm wondering if you can install the 2730 on the support of an old SPIII. Any onw here did it before?
I'm talking about that frame who cames out of the map ligts on the 2002-2004 bikes.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 2:44 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
They do have a good price...
Now I'm wondering if you can install the 2730 on the support of an old SPIII. Any onw here did it before?
I'm talking about that frame who cames out of the map ligts on the 2002-2004 bikes.
YES, you can, comes with the same mounting bracket.
post #13 of 25 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 8:06 pm

2730 on a 2006 LT

I just got my 2730 and power connector hooked right up to the BMW GPS prep option that I ordered with the bike. Works great. Havent got the XM supscription yet.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #14 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 11:30 am

I'm completly new to GPS. In reading this thread, I now am wondering if it is possible to get the NavII mounting on my '06 and just buy a 2610 or 2730 and plug in right in. Is this correct?

Thanks.
post #15 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I read somewhere if you have the Nav II cradle/mount for the rebadged 2610, the one with the extra buttons on the left hand side, that the extra buttons will not work with the 2730. Can anyone confirm or disprove this? I'm also interested in the 2730.

I'm actually more interested in the new 2820.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom

Last edited by vstromboli; Jun 12th, 2006 at 2:17 pm.
post #16 of 25 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstromboli
the extra buttons will not work with the 2730. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?
As I understand it, that is the case and thus is one of the unique proprietary attributes the NAV II offers over a generic model. Depends upon what you want I guess.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #17 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 8:12 am

This may answer a few questions if not just my .02.
My 06 LT came with the NAV mount and two cables, at the time I had a SP III and of course I could not use the cables as the power plug would not interface. I put a RAM mount on the NAV mount(the 4 holes line up perfectly) and took power from the dash light. On the way home from STC II my SPIII gave up the ghost in the rain. I ordered the 2720 and Garmins motorcycle mount and it bolts directly to the NAV mount perfectly and the factory installed power cable for the NAV is identical to the 2610/2720 and i believe the 2730 and is hot when the ignition is turned on. I connected it to the 2720 and we have been happy ever since. I just tucked the other cable that BMW uses for their side unit down into the NAV mount. My only complaint to where it is is sunlight and being able to see the screen with sunglasses or smoked helmet visor. I am going to order garmin's sunscreen and hope that solves my problem if not I will move to a shelf. Again my .02.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #18 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 9:21 am

Hmmm ... so the factory installed Nav mount only provides power to the GPS when the ignition is on? That's no good to me ... I try to keep my running averages including stop time running through gas stops and the like. Wonder how hard it would be to run that power cable into a different (always on) power source...
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 9:41 am

I was in the same situation.

I have an 2002 K1200LTE with SPIII. I converted over the SPIII to the 2730. My SPIII used the dealer installed bracket thru the light. I purchased the garmin motorcycle mounting kit, it fit perfectly. I just needed to buy some longer screws. For the power, I ran it directly to the battery to bypass the ignition switch.

You WILL run into issues with the audio. I took the cable provided in the motorcycle mounting kit and had to convert it from a stereo to a mono 2.5mm audio connection. You will also need to adust the sound levels on the 2730 to optimize the voice navigations. Do NOT even think about using the FM modulator, it is junk.

The 2730 uses an AUX out port. I decided not to use this since the volume is controlled by the 2730 and not the BMW comm system.

If you decide to use the MP3 player, you will need to use the FM modulator (which I do not recommend).

Let me know if you need additional info. I spent much time researching this and weighing all the options.
post #20 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 9:42 am

FredR,

I am also having issue with the sun glare on the 2730. Any suggestions on how to correct this? I made a cardboard shade and placed it over the 2730. It overhung about 1 inch. I did not see any improvement.
post #21 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
FredR,

I am also having issue with the sun glare on the 2730. Any suggestions on how to correct this? I made a cardboard shade and placed it over the 2730. It overhung about 1 inch. I did not see any improvement.
I bought a sun visor from BMR Products and it works for the most part unless the sun is pointed directly onto the screen (no affiliation, yada, yada, yada).

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #22 of 25 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
My 06 LT came with the NAV mount and two cables,. My only complaint to where it is is sunlight and being able to see the screen with sunglasses or smoked helmet visor. I am going to order garmin's sunscreen and hope that solves my problem if not I will move to a shelf.
The problem with the NAV mount for the '05 & '06 is the angle it places the GPS at. The angle is perfectly aimed towards the drivers head but this is what causes all of the glare problems. At almost any time of the day you get some reflection on the screen. If you increase this angle closer to 90 degrees you will eliminate almost all glare. On my friends '05 I made a spacer for the top 2 screws which moved the top of the GPS forward about 5/16" moving the angle of the screen closer to 90 degrees. He now has minimal glare and doesn't need a sunshade anymore.

Bruce Hodges
post #23 of 25 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 9:03 am

The cradle was developed by Garmin exclusively for the BMW Nav unit and WILL NOT work with the 2610, 2620, 2720 or the 2820. Here is a unit that will work with the 2610, 2620 and 2720. Send them a note and ask if about the 2820.

Good Luck.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #24 of 25 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 1:03 pm

I understand from an earlier post in this thread that one can download maps and routes from an attached pc to a 2720/2730. What I have not be able to find out is if these models come with the windows version of the software. I know some of the new NT edition Mapsource products do not come with PC software and it must be purchased seperated. Does the 2720/2730 come with this software or do I have to purchase seperately. Thanks all.

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
post #25 of 25 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
I understand from an earlier post in this thread that one can download maps and routes from an attached pc to a 2720/2730. What I have not be able to find out is if these models come with the windows version of the software. I know some of the new NT edition Mapsource products do not come with PC software and it must be purchased seperated. Does the 2720/2730 come with this software or do I have to purchase seperately. Thanks all.
Jeff,

The 2730 comes with a Mapsource CD that installs to a PC running Windows XP. Unit also comes with a USB & Firewire cables, 9v & AC adapters & a remote control.

Hope this helps!
Kevin

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in