So.... anyone know what this is??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

So.... anyone know what this is???

Hi,

I'm replacing the GPS on my 03 LT with a 2730 (more about that later) but while removing the CD player from the pannier I found a grey box velcrowed behind the cd player, pictures below.

Does anyone know what this is?

Does it need to stay?

and finally, what have others done with the cables in the pannier when they have removed the GPS CD player.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box in position.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	3188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box 1.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	3189   Click image for larger version

Name:	box 2.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	3190   Click image for larger version

Name:	this type gps.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	3191  

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 1:00 am

I may be way off base here but the letters AMP could stand for -----------AMP ----- as in power amplifier ??
On second thought I believe that is a North American term and all the other printing is German.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 1:26 am

I google check of Votronic kicks back mostly to do with cell phone related items. Curious . Can you contact the previous owner ??

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 1:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
I google check of Votronic kicks back mostly to do with cell phone related items. Curious . Can you contact the previous owner ??
She's a one owner, bought it new so I assume it is part of the standard fare...

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #5 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 1:43 am

Hi Daz,

I'm totally lost, but the text "Steuergerät" means "control device" or "steering device".

You said you are replacing a GPS. Does the pic #4 show the old GPS display?

If yes, I would bet that this grey box has something to do with the old GPS. At least it does not belong to the CD-changer.

What to do with the leftover cables? I went for the Ice>Link and it works for me so-and-so. I pulled all the extra CD cables outwards so that just the connectors were left inside the saddlebag. If you have nothing to be hooked to the connectors you could do the same or even pull them all the way out through the grommet, but then you'd need to cover the connectors for future use and tie the cables properly and so on... So I'd leave the connectors inside the saddlebag but pull the extra cable out.

PS. Proceeding with my bluetooth correction. Taking the interface further away from the ABS unit did not help much so now I´m putting it next to the radio. Now I just need to go get a proper cable to hook it to Baehr. I'll let you know how things turn out...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 1:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi Daz,

I'm totally lost, but the text "Steuergerät" means "control device" or "steering device".

You said you are replacing a GPS. Does the pic #4 show the old GPS display?

If yes, I would bet that this grey box has something to do with the old GPS. At least it does not belong to the CD-changer.

What to do with the leftover cables? I went for the Ice>Link and it works for me so-and-so. I pulled all the extra CD cables outwards so that just the connectors were left inside the saddlebag. If you have nothing to be hooked to the connectors you could do the same or even pull them all the way out through the grommet, but then you'd need to cover the connectors for future use and tie the cables properly and so on... So I'd leave the connectors inside the saddlebag but pull the extra cable out.

PS. Proceeding with my bluetooth correction. Taking the interface further away from the ABS unit did not help much so now I´m putting it next to the radio. Now I just need to go get a proper cable to hook it to Baehr. I'll let you know how things turn out...

Regards
Hi Ari,

Was going to give you a call but thought it was too early.... The grey box is directly behind the CD player that reads the GPS CD in the left pannier, so probably part of the old GPS.

I have the bike in bits today so I just took a couple of pics of my Bluetooth setup so you can see how I did it.

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3571 (Medium).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	3192   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3572 (Medium).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	3193  

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #7 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 2:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
Hi Ari,

Was going to give you a call but thought it was too early.... The grey box is directly behind the CD player that reads the GPS CD in the left pannier, so probably part of the old GPS.

I have the bike in bits today so I just took a couple of pics of my Bluetooth setup so you can see how I did it.

Hope it helps.
Yep,

looks pretty familiar! So you put your interface board "upside down". OK, makes sense, I can do the same, the transformators make a solid point to fasten.
BTW, I got the bluetooth connection back on yesterday. It had just reset itself as you said.
But then I had another stupid problem: The radio died. It died as I goofed around with the bluetooth and whatever with the ignition on (too long + I had the grip heaters accidentally on as well) and when I tried to start the bike the battery had no power to crank the motor.
The next thing I noticed that the radio no longer worked.
This seems to have happened to others as well, so I trust that since I had the radio unhooked from the battery all night its should be OK by the time I have all the bluetooth connections done. Now let's hope and see...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #8 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 5:15 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The part number shown comes up as "Control Unit". I know my GPS (using the same cd-based map data) came with a seperate remote control, whereas BMW is using the handlebar radio buttons. Maybe this box is what converts the radio control buttons to the GPS control signals? I wouldn't worry about it.

And AMP is a company that makes electrical connectors, like the one shown with their name stamped on it.

I am looking forward to hearing how these Bluetooth projects come out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in