Damn Garmin Zumo 220 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Damn Garmin Zumo 220

Ok folks. I need a little help/advice. I am leaving on the 16th for a 2000 mile trip. First big trip on my RT. Today I find my Garmin Zumo 220 ( which I bought two years ago) so I can download my route. I also have it hard wired to switched power. So I go to test the switched power and I got nothing. So I check the Garmin just on battery and nothing. Crap. I get home and plug it into my car. Still nothing. I check battery voltage. I got nothing. Battery appears to be as dead as grandma (with all due respect to my grandma). So here is my quandary. Even if the battery is dead, shouldn't the Garmin still work when plugged into 12V power in my car? My mind tells me yes but maybe I am missing something. If it should work, then not only is my battery dead but the Garmin is messed up too.

If my Garmin is hosed, then I have two choices. Go buy a cheap GPS unit for my trip or use my iPhone 5. Does anyone out there use their iPhone as their GPS unit on the RT? How does it do in the sun and vibration? I have a waterproof case so I'm not worried about rain. I don't want to kill my phone. Cheaper to buy a low end GPS.

So any help is appreciated. Should my GPS unit work in my car even with a dead battery?

Thanks.

Eric
2013 R1200RT (Totaled)
2011 Victory Vision Tour (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded In)
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Re: Damn Garmin Zumo 220

I rode from Sacramento CA to Atlanta GA using my Iphone 5 with TomTom GPS only when I picked up my new to me RT. The TomTom downloads the maps to your phone and it doesn't need cell signal after it picks up a Fix location(they call it A-GPS or assisted GPS). The route was pretty easy mostly I-40 east but anyway it took me home without incident.

You can also prepare your route (at least on the phone) and go thru your waypoints and make changes on the fly. I have been using it for a couple of years and I am used to only listen to voice directions. The phone has been always in my pocket and connected to a power let charger. Under direct sunlight the phone will overheat pretty quick. Battery consumption with the TT is not bad but not great either. That's why I had the phone connected to the charger all the time.

As always, YMMV
Good Luck

2009 R1200RT
Past Rides: 2003 K1200LT "Gertrude" (sold) / 2004 R1200CLC "Petunia" (sold) 2005 Kawi Concours (gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 9:52 pm

I am by no means an expert, and can't speak to the Garmin issue per se, but am using an iPhone 5 waterproof case from BuyBits that has worked well, with a Powerlet to USB adapter connection for power (running MotionX as an app currently, on the iPhone for GPS). I'm confortable the case is waterproof, but the USB power feed from the outlet is not, and I'm still scouring the web for a USB to Lightening connection that is water resistant.

No issues yet with sun or vibration, with heat indexes over 100 for a 7 hour period for several days. Goes without saying that you cannot leave the phone in the case in direct sunlight, regardless of temperature, in the summer, while stationary. At least I wouldn't, and I'm in Minnesota.

Last edited by MnR12RT; Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:58 pm.

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Maps?
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 5:29 am Thread Starter

I am using an Incipio case for my iPhone so no worries there. And I don't even leave my GPS out in the sun when I'm parked. More worried about theft. Archimedes, not sure what you mean by "maps". Are you suggesting using real, honest to God, paper maps? Not sure I even remember what they are. Lol. I had thought about that also but the plastic map pocket on my tank bag reflects sun so badly into my eyes when riding that I'm not sure that will work.

Also, does my diagnosis of my Zumo sound correct? Even if I have a bad battery, should I have power and should it work when plugged into power? I'm trying to figure out if just replacing the battery will fix the problem. But I don't want to order one and have it not work. By the time I find one, buy it and it ships, I won't have time for another fix if it doesn't work. Input and thoughts welcomed.

Eric
2013 R1200RT (Totaled)
2011 Victory Vision Tour (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded In)
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator (Sold)
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 9:39 am

zumo... I dont know the 220, but if you go over to zumoforums there is someone there who can help you. Dead or defective internal battery on the sumo might prevent external power from working.

That and call Garmin tech support.

iPhone 5 might work but does not respond with gloves... PITA that way.

Paper maps are good, actually sort of fun an a retro kind of way.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 11:29 am

If the battery is so dead that it is shorted, your GPS will not work.
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 11:45 am

Yeah, I was suggesting paper maps. They work great and they never run out of battery power.
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 10th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Try plugging in USB and charging the battery using that method.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 17th, 2013, 5:28 pm

My various Garmins don't work well or at all with a less than fully charged battery. If you ran it tone dead you might need to plug it in for several days to recharge it, if at all.
Garmins do not like long periods of non-use like over winter etc...They need to be used/charged regularly.
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 17th, 2013, 6:47 pm

If the battery is dead and not just discharged it is possible for a device not to work even if plugged in because it can't complete the circuit.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2013, 10:23 am

We've got an old Tom Tom 125 that my wife used to use in the car. When it would sit so long that it was really dead, it would take forever to turn on when plugged into the car. I'm talking about 10 minutes sometimes. Now if she wants a GPS she just asks for the Zumo 220 off the motorcycle.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in