BMW GPS or other with new LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

BMW GPS or other with new LT?

I everyone. Today we purcased a new 2006 K1200LT. It came with a mount & hook up cables for the BMW/Garmin GPS. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pop another $1200 for a GPS unit, but I don't like seeing that stupid mounting kit & cables on top of the tank. Dealer says they can't be removed.

I know the BMW gps is made by Garmin. Could I just purchase a Garmin Street Pilot & get it to work with the BMW sound system & existing cabling?

I'd really appreciate what you all have to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010069.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	3080  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Garmin 2730

I recently bought an 05LT. I wanted a GPS and intercom. I looked at the BMW Nav setup but didn't like the mounting. I also wanted XM radio. So, I bought the Garmin 2730 which has XM built in and I bought the BMW Voice II intercom system. It was installed at the BMW dealership and I picked it up today. I'm delighted that everything is integrated and works well together. I opted for the BMR co-pilot shelf to mount the GPS on. This way I don't have to lower my eyes very far to read the GPS. And since the voice commands from the GPS are integrated into the radio, I really don't have to take my eyes off the road at all.
I'm sold on the XM radio (I had it installed on my Harley) and love it. The Garmin system is portable and I can take it from the LT to the car.
Take a look at that system and see if it works for you. Good luck.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 2:32 am

I have a 06 K1200LT that was pre wired for the BMW GPS. It to has the two wires coming out of the mounting bracket above the radio buttons.
Could not bring my self to purchasing the BMW unit $1300.00 I found a new 2610 on the internet for $519.00. Works great. You do have the second wire still sticking out that controls the buttons on the left side of the BMW unit. I will hide this under the mount when I have time. Also my unit came with a 128MB Compact Flash card. This hold lot's of maps compaired to my old Garmin V. Kicked around purchasing a 2Gig card for $90.00... na just purchased a 512MB for $29.00 at Staples... This holds all the info I need. If I need more I will just down load any other maps to my 128MB card.
Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 3:26 am Thread Starter

Tom & Donna,

That's what I was hoping to hear!! Thanks a bunch!

BTW, maybe it's not appropriate to discuss here, ( if not, I'm sure someone will speak up) but I see from your profile you guys are into wine...but have you ever used Cellar Tracker?
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 4:00 am Thread Starter

pgoltz112,

That's a nice unit. Will definitely take a look. I have an email into Garmin regarding compatibility with my existing hookup. I suspect it will work based on what Tomakazie said about their 2610.

XM has spoiled me from regular radio. Have it in both cars & my old R1150RS. Can't get enough of channel 150. ;-D To have it integrated with GPS and XM Traffic would be outstanding! I see you can also put Mp3 files on the thing. Now if they could just figure out a way to get a cell phone in there....
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 9:43 am

I was unsure the 2610 unit would work on my pre-wired BMW unit, so I drove the bike to Best Buy and had the salesman plug the unit to the bike. Unit fired up just fine. Garmin has a 2610 mount that bolts up to the BMW mount on your tank. It holds the 2610 just fine. I did purchase a visor shield for the unit. Helps when the is out.
Good luck
ps
I did check our Celler tracker. I will give it a try... Dont know if we drink the caliber of wine I noticed on the site, but oh well..... Good luck

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #7 of 9 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:29 am

FYI:

The BMW NAVII is a 2610 on the inside. I purchased the BMW NAVII because of the larger buttons that work great with gloves, more weather (and water) resitint than a 2610 and the BMW holds the entire US on the 2GB card. I never had to download maps (only my routes).

However, BMW has released the NAVIII (US version) so older NAVIIs should be dropping in price same as Garmin unloading the older 2610s.

Mark
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

I just received an email from Garmin telling me the Garmin 2730 will work just fine with the BMW factory cables. They also confirmed it has a waterproof rating of IPX7, which means that it is submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 mins. It is perfectly fine to use on a motorcycle or bike.

I found one online for $844.00.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!
post #9 of 9 Old May 5th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
Tom & Donna,

That's what I was hoping to hear!! Thanks a bunch!

BTW, maybe it's not appropriate to discuss here, ( if not, I'm sure someone will speak up) but I see from your profile you guys are into wine...but have you ever used Cellar Tracker?
Ha Ha ha Wine?
WHERE?
I live in Sonoma County in Northern California!
I just reach in to the closet and pull a bottle of Pinot right off the vine!

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in