Bricked Nav IV - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Bricked Nav IV

Well, I was attempting to update my Nav IV with new maps. Something went wrong, and I couldn't get view the maps. So, I did a reinstall of the maps. Now whatever I did there, bricked the POS Garmin junk garbage. etc. etc.

I'm out of warranty, so to get it replaced will cost me $150, despite it was their updater that bricked my Nav IV. I'm going to beg them to reduce that price, since it was their fault. Anyone have such luck with Garmin, who is notorious for not being very good about customer service?

Or should I talk to BMW?

Apparently bricking during updating is relatively common. I should have read up and determined if people were having problems.

Once again, this doesn't happen to my devices from Apple. And I beta test all their software, and rarely even then do I have major problem.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Re: Bricked Nav IV

find the Garmin owner's site.

shud be a way to clear all memory?!

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
find the Garmin owner's site.

shud be a way to clear all memory?!

Bob
Nope. They have a Master Reset, but it doesn't clear al the cruft.

But they're fixing it. It's a good thing.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Exclamation Re: Bricked Nav IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
Well, I was attempting to update my Nav IV with new maps. Something went wrong, and I couldn't get view the maps. So, I did a reinstall of the maps. Now whatever I did there, bricked the POS Garmin junk garbage. etc. etc.

I'm out of warranty, so to get it replaced will cost me $150, despite it was their updater that bricked my Nav IV. I'm going to beg them to reduce that price, since it was their fault. Anyone have such luck with Garmin, who is notorious for not being very good about customer service?

Or should I talk to BMW?

Apparently bricking during updating is relatively common. I should have read up and determined if people were having problems.

Once again, this doesn't happen to my devices from Apple. And I beta test all their software, and rarely even then do I have major problem.
I hope I can help you.
STOP EVERYTHING. Do you have a SD card in the IV? If so take it out and then restart it. It is not bricked! The update went to the SD card and the processor gets confused. I completely reinstalled the failsafe with Garmin's guidance with no luck. They gave me a special deal of $75.00 but before I sent it off I tried it with the SD card removed and it powered up and worked just fine.
ONLY PERFORM UPDATES WITH THE SD CARD REMOVED! I have done 2 additional updates with no more issues.
Apparently Garmin is not aware of this issue. Let me know if it works.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 1:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
I hope I can help you.
STOP EVERYTHING. Do you have a SD card in the IV? If so take it out and then restart it. It is not bricked! The update went to the SD card and the processor gets confused. I completely reinstalled the failsafe with Garmin's guidance with no luck. They gave me a special deal of $75.00 but before I sent it off I tried it with the SD card removed and it powered up and worked just fine.
ONLY PERFORM UPDATES WITH THE SD CARD REMOVED! I have done 2 additional updates with no more issues.
Apparently Garmin is not aware of this issue. Let me know if it works.
No, I wish it were that easy. I didn't have an SD card, and it was totally bricked. They walked me through a diagnostic method that didn't work, which told them that it was wrong.

My customer service guy was really nice, took his time with me, and agreed it was a problem on their end. They're sending me a replacement.

post #6 of 13 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Well, I was attempting to update my Nav IV with new maps. Something went wrong, and I couldn't get view the maps. So, I did a reinstall of the maps. Now whatever I did there, bricked the POS Garmin junk garbage. etc. etc...Once again, this doesn't happen to my devices from Apple. And I beta test all their software, and rarely even then do I have major problem.
What does Apple products have to do with a Garmin product, which last time I looked is not part of Microsoft, who is usually the villain when people start talking up their Apples.

BTW, I have a pretty good guess, but does your term "brick" mean that the device froze/locked up?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #7 of 13 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Quote:
No, I wish it were that easy. I didn't have an SD card, and it was totally bricked. They walked me through a diagnostic method that didn't work, which told them that it was wrong.

My customer service guy was really nice, took his time with me, and agreed it was a problem on their end. They're sending me a replacement.
Sounds like Garmin Customer Service is pretty good, and that's been my experience over the years! So, are you going to take back all those nasty things your said in your original post?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 13 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Now you know why Garmin lifetime updates aren't worth much. Way too much time and trouble with the added fun of possibly disabling the unit.

Its easier to buy a new one every few years and sell the old one if they are actually still building new roads where you live (pretty much doesn't happen in the east any more given the state of the economy. Our local roads have developed jams due to pre crash building and a relief bypass planned long before the boom won't be ready for another 2 years, But I'm retired and don't commute so it doesn't hit me. Poetic justice is that its at its worst when tourists are all heading for the beach on Fri when 2-4 hr jams are possible in one particular spot)
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 1:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Sounds like Garmin Customer Service is pretty good, and that's been my experience over the years! So, are you going to take back all those nasty things your said in your original post?
Well, it took me about 45 minutes to actually speak to someone, which isn't good. But the people they hire are here in the USA, they're really smart about their devices, and their job does not appear to be "it's all your fault, so go screw yourself." They're kind of a breath of fresh air.

And someone suggested that I call at precisely 0800 CST to get your call answered quickly. Of course, I'm dead asleep then, since it's 0600 here in Los Angeles.

post #10 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 1:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
What does Apple products have to do with a Garmin product, which last time I looked is not part of Microsoft, who is usually the villain when people start talking up their Apples.

BTW, I have a pretty good guess, but does your term "brick" mean that the device froze/locked up?
My point was that I've never bricked an iPhone or iPad, and they're more complicated devices than a Garmin.

Nevertheless, yeah, the official definition of bricking an electronic device is that it's "now as useful as a brick." The Nav IV turned on, but it would keep cycling through "Loading Maps." The Garmin dude said that if there's some sort of corruption in the maps while uploading it to the device, it can brick the device.

I'm going to just wait next time for the update to get updated.

post #11 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 1:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7
Now you know why Garmin lifetime updates aren't worth much. Way too much time and trouble with the added fun of possibly disabling the unit.

Its easier to buy a new one every few years and sell the old one if they are actually still building new roads where you live (pretty much doesn't happen in the east any more given the state of the economy. Our local roads have developed jams due to pre crash building and a relief bypass planned long before the boom won't be ready for another 2 years, But I'm retired and don't commute so it doesn't hit me. Poetic justice is that its at its worst when tourists are all heading for the beach on Fri when 2-4 hr jams are possible in one particular spot)
Since I'm getting a new unit, not refurbished, I'm not sure if I'm going to install it on my bike. I may just sell it, get me an iPad mini and call it a day. I really hate Garmin Base Camp. And Garmin Express.

I might have to agree with you on these points.

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 2:16 am

Quote:
Since I'm getting a new unit, not refurbished, I'm not sure if I'm going to install it on my bike. I may just sell it, get me an iPad mini and call it a day. I really hate Garmin Base Camp. And Garmin Express....
Well, let me know if you decide to sell it and how much you want.

BTW, I came across your post re: this same problem under a different subforum- I think the RT? subforum. I think you mentioned using an apple app there for navigation, or was it just for trip planning? Perhaps this is the reference for your above comment re: apple products? Regardless, I was wondering if you have used this app while riding, and if so, did you experience the device heating up and causing problems/shutting down like others have experienced with smart phones?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Aug 28th, 2013 at 2:21 am.
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 12:47 am Thread Starter

I'm almost definitely going to get rid of my Nav IV and try another direction with navigation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in