Garmin needs new software engineers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Garmin needs new software engineers

I can completely delete everything on my 64GB iPad, and restore all my music, apps, data, movies, TV shows, and iOS, the full 64GB in about 35 minutes, give or take.

I'm updating my 2 GB Garmin Nav IV. It has taken 2 hours. And I'm connected via a high speed USB etc. etc.

Garmin. Fire your engineers, and go hire some from Google, Apple or Samsung. Those guys know how to speedily transfer data. you don't.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 5:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Garmin needs new software engineers

Amen. When I tried to update the lifetime maps on my Nuvi, the update bombed because it was too big for the OEM memory capacity. Of course these are the same engineers and designers who came up with the Garmin smart phone WITHOUT a GPS chip. Think Apple would leave a music player off the iPhone?

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:17 pm

Just think about all the revenue Garmin is missing out on because they no longer support devices that are only a few years old. I'd bet they left a few million on the table.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 12:37 am
Cat Herder

Garage

I am having all kinds of issues with my Nav 4. The maps load but the routes don't show up or work. All of my GPS's have 2014.2 maps but the desktop map is older and won't update.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #5 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 2:56 am Thread Starter

Well, after 2 hours of this update, struggling with Garmin BaseCamp to design a route, then upload it to my Nav IV, something bad has happened. My Nav IV crashes frequently now, so I have to remove the battery to restart it.

This was not a good move, and now I have to head over to the Zumo forum to find out how to fix this.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
I am having all kinds of issues with my Nav 4. The maps load but the routes don't show up or work. All of my GPS's have 2014.2 maps but the desktop map is older and won't update.
I seem to have the opposite problem with my Streetpilot. It seems to loose power, and then it only shows the route, not the map, after it reboots.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #7 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 11:09 am

Garage

I just went through similar problem yesterday with routes and found that it gets its knickers in a knot if you have more than 20 routes you are trying to download. Also I had to import the routes on the Nav IV from My Data. I had a Zumo 550 and am beginning to regret selling it on eBay, but I now know why they fetch so much money on eBay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 6:23 pm

I just bought the lifetime map update for my Zumo 220. I got it from Amazon for $58 and change. Of course like others I was informed the update would not fit on the unit OR the 2 GB micro SD card already in the unit. So I installed what Garmin called the "lower 49 states" and it fit. I later got an 8 GB card and re-installed the update and it recommended the full update to the card. Now here's what I don't like. It seems Garmin Express is the only way to update now. On both updates I selected to also install to my computer for use with Basecamp, Mapsource, etc. But the maps never show and in fact the update stalls at 73% most times. I can plug the Zumo into the computer and use the updated maps in Basecamp that way, but I'd like to have them on the PC too so I don't have to take the Garmin off the bike every time I want to plan a route.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I just bought the lifetime map update for my Zumo 220. I got it from Amazon for $58 and change. Of course like others I was informed the update would not fit on the unit OR the 2 GB micro SD card already in the unit. So I installed what Garmin called the "lower 49 states" and it fit. I later got an 8 GB card and re-installed the update and it recommended the full update to the card. Now here's what I don't like. It seems Garmin Express is the only way to update now. On both updates I selected to also install to my computer for use with Basecamp, Mapsource, etc. But the maps never show and in fact the update stalls at 73% most times. I can plug the Zumo into the computer and use the updated maps in Basecamp that way, but I'd like to have them on the PC too so I don't have to take the Garmin off the bike every time I want to plan a route.
http://www.2wheelgeek.com/BaseCampResources.aspx
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Thanks Jim! I'll see if that works. I just downloaded the file.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in