Tyre Software - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 11:13 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Tyre Software

I have been looking into software that provides mapping for Garmin and Tomtom GPS devices.
The main reason is that I am considering purchasing the new TomTom rider, it is priced at $399.95 on the TomTom web site.
It looks like TomTom uses software called Tyre, that also works with Garmin and Google files. I have been playing around with it today using some routes saved from my Garmin. At first blush Tyre seems to be quite easy to use. I was wondering if anyone here has used it much and what they think of it's capabilities vs Basecamp?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Re: Tyre Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
I have been looking into software that provides mapping for Garmin and Tomtom GPS devices.
The main reason is that I am considering purchasing the new TomTom rider, it is priced at $399.95 on the TomTom web site.
It looks like TomTom uses software called Tyre, that also works with Garmin and Google files. I have been playing around with it today using some routes saved from my Garmin. At first blush Tyre seems to be quite easy to use. I was wondering if anyone here has used it much and what they think of it's capabilities vs Basecamp?
I've used it a bit. It's nice because it uses Google Maps, and that makes it familiar to use.

The problem with it is that when you send your route to the Garmin, you get a route with just the waypoints and a track. Since the route is made up of waypoints, you'll get "announce" behavior for all of them, and they'll show up as favorites on your Garmin. This is what most of us try to avoid by using shaping points in BC.

The other thing to watch for is "near misses". If you create a waypoint manually in Tyre on a road, that point may or may not end up exactly on the road when you move it to the Garmin, since they're using different map data. If I were going to use Tyre, I would use it to take advantage of Google Maps to rough out a route, then move the resulting Tyre route into BC. Then in BC, clean it up by using the insert tool to place shaping points near the waypoints you created in Tyre solely for the purpose of shaping the route (i.e. they are not true destinations, either final or along the way) so that you can put them on intersections and they won't all announce; then delete the waypoints that Tyre sent over.

But after trying that work flow a few times I finally decided it was easier to just rough it out in Google Maps, put that up on one screen, fire up BC on the other screen and build the route from scratch by visually matching the Google route to the degree that I want to. But that's just me.

I almost always start with Google to get a feel for distances and times, make some decisions about the roads I want to take, then go build it in BC. Once you've decided on the roads, building the route in BC just takes a couple of minutes. The time-consuming part is trying different roads, checking distances, trying a different road, etc. In other words, iteratively working toward a reasonable plan. That's where Google Maps really shines...and you have Street View there to check roads and get a better feel for things.

If you just want to do a simple route, and don't mind the "announce" behavior and getting a bunch of favorites that don't really mean anything, then Tyre might be a good choice. Certainly the learning curve will be easier than BC if you've never used it or don't care to learn it.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 2:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Jim!!

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 3:19 pm

I downloaded it also after seeing it on the Tom Tom site after looking at the new rider. I'm just now pretty comfortable with BaseCamp after using Map Source a number of years. Tyre seemed a little more difficult to use to me. If I were to buy a Rider I'd use it, but for now, I'm staying with BC.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 2:13 am

Garage

A friend of mine uses TYRE and swears by it. He thinks it is easier by far to use than BaseCamp. Of course he does not have announcements on his 660, so the "You are approaching your waypoint", "You are now at your waypoint" announcement has no effect on him.

I never spent the time in getting used to it, preferring to use BaseCamp. I never really got the hang of TYRE, though I like the idea of using it as a starter for a route then finishing it in BaseCamp.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2013, 5:01 am

I'm using Tyre and the new Tomtom Rider. I find that Tyre is easier to use than Basecamp for sending routes to the Rider. But I haven't figured out a way to send waypoints and find using Tontom Home better for doing this. Both are way more intuitive than Basecamp.
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2013, 8:41 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
I'm using Tyre and the new Tomtom Rider. I find that Tyre is easier to use than Basecamp for sending routes to the Rider. But I haven't figured out a way to send waypoints and find using Tontom Home better for doing this. Both are way more intuitive than Basecamp.
So the next question besides Tyre....how do you like the Rider? Hows the bluetooth?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Hi John,

So far I like it a lot. But it's early days yet. The big test starts in a fortnight when I'm off to Rimini, Italy and back.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2013, 4:27 pm

John, I did a round trip of 3800kms to Rimini & back using the new Rider for navigation. To answer your second question first, because the answer is shorter, the bluetooth works fine.

I have issues with the Tomtom though. 1. At least twice it directed me off the motorways and up side roads and through villages for no reason. 2. The unit gets totally confused near the destination both arriving and leaving and directs lefts and rights to have you going round in circles. This is within 500 meters or so. On route navigation its fine (save comment 1.). 3. The default scale is very close up which shows a blue line on a white background with no other map data. In fact you can see more around you. When you manually scale out to see more towns, etc., en route it returns to the default after 1 minute. 4. The voice is garbled, directions are slightly distorted but the phone is impossible to hear. 5. Its a minor thing, but the indicated speed tends to freeze up.

Having said that, it's a very nice unit and seems well built. The display is way better than my old BMW Nav lll (that directed me right to the door every time though!). It's readable in all but strong sunlight from behind. The lane guidance is super and the night display is great. I've been on to Tomtom support and they are efficient, friendly and very helpful. They suggested I reload the application and gave me step by step directions. That's done and I'm now waiting to test it out.
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2013, 8:31 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
John, I did a round trip of 3800kms to Rimini & back using the new Rider for navigation. To answer your second question first, because the answer is shorter, the bluetooth works fine.

I have issues with the Tomtom though. 1. At least twice it directed me off the motorways and up side roads and through villages for no reason. 2. The unit gets totally confused near the destination both arriving and leaving and directs lefts and rights to have you going round in circles. This is within 500 meters or so. On route navigation its fine (save comment 1.). 3. The default scale is very close up which shows a blue line on a white background with no other map data. In fact you can see more around you. When you manually scale out to see more towns, etc., en route it returns to the default after 1 minute. 4. The voice is garbled, directions are slightly distorted but the phone is impossible to hear. 5. Its a minor thing, but the indicated speed tends to freeze up.

Having said that, it's a very nice unit and seems well built. The display is way better than my old BMW Nav lll (that directed me right to the door every time though!). It's readable in all but strong sunlight from behind. The lane guidance is super and the night display is great. I've been on to Tomtom support and they are efficient, friendly and very helpful. They suggested I reload the application and gave me step by step directions. That's done and I'm now waiting to test it out.
Great update, thank you ! I have not yet pulled the trigger on buying one yet, season is getting short here now so I may wait for spring. Perhaps by then Tomtom will have sorted out the problems you had.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Quote:
...At least twice it directed me off the motorways and up side roads and through villages for no reason.
I experienced the same behavior with a Rider on a recent 2000 mile trip to North Carolina. Very frustrating.
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 3:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewards
I experienced the same behavior with a Rider on a recent 2000 mile trip to North Carolina. Very frustrating.
Just curious was the error on a per-planned route or just an ad hoc get me there now route?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Just curious was the error on a per-planned route or just an ad hoc get me there now route?
Both times I had the gps plan the route to my destinations. Both times, it took me off the highway and onto small roads even though I did not use the "winding road" option and specified fastest route.
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:13 am

In my case the trip was pre-planned on my pc and uploaded to the TomTom.
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 15th, 2014, 7:32 am

I just stumbled upon the Tyre software today so I thought I would share this video. I am a GPS newbie so I'm just trying to sort out what will work best for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPvV_c1M8yc

2011 BMW R1200RT - currently ~24k miles; bought new 2/23/12
2007 Honda Rebel - 4,588 learning miles...she served me well...

BMW MOA 188089

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by EntreNous; Mar 15th, 2014 at 8:27 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in