Locking bracket for Navigator IV - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 3:28 am Thread Starter

Locking bracket for Navigator IV

I used to have this gorgeous CNC aluminum locking bracket for my Zumo 665. It was sweet, because I didn't have to remember to grab the device if I had to take a quick bathroom break, or grab a soda. Touratech made it.

Now I have the Navigator IV, which has to removed every time. I've scoured the Touratech website, and other favorite sites for BMW gadgets, and I can't seem to find anything. I noticed that BMW has a new bracket for the 1200GSW bike that is lockable (and can be set up to use your bike key, that is cool), and automatically reads the VIN of the bike, instead of using a PIN (or the safe location).

Anyone know of a locking bracket for the Nav IV?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 6:59 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Locking bracket for Navigator IV

The 665 & the Nav IV should use the same bracket. I know the 660 & Nav IV use the same one.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
The 665 & the Nav IV should use the same bracket. I know the 660 & Nav IV use the same one.
I don't think so. The Nav IV has a special mount that has some unique buttons along the left side. Now, I suppose I could remove that mount, buy a Garmin 665 mount, rewire, and then use the Touratech locking bracket, but that's way beyond the pale of what I want to do.

Apparently, Touratech used to sell a locking bracket specifically for the Nav IV, but it's gone. Maybe it didn't work.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
I don't think so. The Nav IV has a special mount that has some unique buttons along the left side. Now, I suppose I could remove that mount, buy a Garmin 665 mount, rewire, and then use the Touratech locking bracket, but that's way beyond the pale of what I want to do.

Apparently, Touratech used to sell a locking bracket specifically for the Nav IV, but it's gone. Maybe it didn't work.
Those special buttons are used by the Nav IV with special software that enables them. I think Harley and Victory also use that mount. Otherwise the 660 and 665 are the same GPS and use the same connections for mounting. You could plug a 660,665 into the Nav IV mount and they will mount and work just fine, only the buttons won't work. Here is the Touratech mount that will lock mount and power the Nav IV, you just won't have those buttons. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...Locking-Silver

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

I appreciate your answer but I think if you read my original question and reply, you will notice that I already knew that the Nav IV is the 660/665.

I pretty certain that the Touratech bracket that to which you linked doesn't work with the BMW Nav IV mount. To use that locking bracket, I would have to remove the BMW OEM mount, buy a 660/665 harness/mount, and lose those buttons. Oh, and ignoring the fact that I would have to wire in the new harness.

As I stated in the original post, I want to avoid complications and just get a locking bracket for the whole Nav IV mount. I'm beginning to think that it doesn't exist, which is OK. Now if I'm not clear and I can remove those buttons, then that Touratech locking bracket/mount would work.

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 4:30 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
I appreciate your answer but I think if you read my original question and reply, you will notice that I already knew that the Nav IV is the 660/665.

I pretty certain that the Touratech bracket that to which you linked doesn't work with the BMW Nav IV mount. To use that locking bracket, I would have to remove the BMW OEM mount, buy a 660/665 harness/mount, and lose those buttons. Oh, and ignoring the fact that I would have to wire in the new harness.

As I stated in the original post, I want to avoid complications and just get a locking bracket for the whole Nav IV mount. I'm beginning to think that it doesn't exist, which is OK. Now if I'm not clear and I can remove those buttons, then that Touratech locking bracket/mount would work.
Hi, I think this is what you are looking for - http://shop.touratech.com/navigation...-lockable.html

It is exactly the same as the MK1 660 locking bracket, but it is adapted for the Nav IV. (I have used the worldwide site, I have found that the local sites usually give better prices!)

Best regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
Hi, I think this is what you are looking for - http://shop.touratech.com/navigation...-lockable.html

It is exactly the same as the MK1 660 locking bracket, but it is adapted for the Nav IV. (I have used the worldwide site, I have found that the local sites usually give better prices!)

Best regards
Adam
That's exactly what I'm looking for. It looks like it's not quite out. And I hope it makes it to the USA.

post #8 of 8 Old Jun 27th, 2014, 9:54 pm

I found this old post regarding the Touratech locking cradle for the Nav IV. Has it be been determined by the collective that it is no longer available or didn't work?

Tom Pfeffer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200RT,
2000 R1100RT
1983 R100RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in