Garmin 2720/Touratech mount/BMR Copilot - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Question Garmin 2720/Touratech mount/BMR Copilot

Hi All,
I have a BMR Copilot shelf and have been using a Streepilot III unit with the BMR adapted mount. I am in the process of ordering a 2720 and Pete at BMR has a slotted mount and the other option is to get a Touratech mount that is locking. I would like to be able to leave the unit on the bike without having to remove it when I stop for a while. Do any of you have a TT mount, and can recommend it, or have the slotted mount and can let me know how secure it is and how easy it is to remove at stops? Touratech is really expensive, but looks like it is first class. It looks like I still need to order a part from BMR to mount the TT unit in addition. My only concern is the power attachment is exposed when the unit is not mounted on the locking model. Is that a problem for those who have it. I can highly recommend the BMR shelf and Pete is most helpful. Many thanks in advance. Best, Bob

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 3:28 pm

I have my SPIII mounted on in Touratech cradle. They are very stable and absorb the vibes, of course they are more robust than any plastic mounts.

Unfortunately, I bought mine just before the locking models came out. So I can't talk to their security.

As far as price, please note that they make two models for the 26XX and 27XX series. One uses the older less spongie rubber, while the other uses BIG elastomiters to suck up all vibes. These are favored by guys on 2-strokes, Big-dual purpose bikes, and folks using Micro Drives in their Garmins.

The price difference between the two is significant.

The part you need to get from BMR is a 'Cross-bar' that allows you to use the standard bar mount hardwire on the Tourtech.

You will NOT be sorry with your choice!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Averill,
Do you have the thick absorbers or the thinner ones? Might be worth the extra money to eliminate the vibration. My SPIII has a rattle inside and I'm convinced it came from being on the bike. Best, Bob

Bob

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 9:26 am

Bob,

Interesting you should mention that. Yes, my SPIII developed a 'loose screw' rattle also. Could be the older style, thinner absorbers. But, I doubt its from the LT as I also use it on a RAM ball to Touratech mount on my R100/7.

As the newer Garmins get more complicated and costly, its probably wise to get the updated thicker shock absorber model. Certainly helps justify the additional expense.

Yup, that's what I'll do when I upgrade to the 2730 or whatever...

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Touratech locking mount

I have the touratech locking mount for my SPIII. I leave the unit on from morning when i start up...to nite time when i finish and then easily remove it. I have a friend that had a color pilot and just upgraded to the 2720. My friend had a non locking touratech mount for his color pilot and as a result he left it on the bike all the time as it was such a pain in the butt to remove. He got the locking mount from touratech for the new 2720. We both recommend it. I like the touratech with the adaptor bar because it has the advantage (for me) of getting the screen closer to me an my getting older and feebler eyesight. I dont know if the extra rubber shock absorber is necessary but it certainly cant hurt.
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Wink Touratech/2720

Hi Averill,
Out of curiosity, did you get the SPIII repaired? My still seems to work ok, just rattles at every bump, not noticable on the bike but it's annoying in the car. I think I am going to bit the bullet and buy the TT mount with the thicker absorbers. I'll probably go with the locking option also. Still concerned about the exposed terminal when the Garmin is off the bike. I'm going to leave the SPIII in the car, and the 2720 on the bike. Many thanks for the help....Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Bob,

Interesting you should mention that. Yes, my SPIII developed a 'loose screw' rattle also. Could be the older style, thinner absorbers. But, I doubt its from the LT as I also use it on a RAM ball to Touratech mount on my R100/7.

As the newer Garmins get more complicated and costly, its probably wise to get the updated thicker shock absorber model. Certainly helps justify the additional expense.

Yup, that's what I'll do when I upgrade to the 2730 or whatever...

Bob
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Wink Touratech/2720

I like the idea of closer also. Does your buddy have any problem with the exposed terminal when the 2720 is off the bike. That is my only concern at this point. Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleb
I have the touratech locking mount for my SPIII. I leave the unit on from morning when i start up...to nite time when i finish and then easily remove it. I have a friend that had a color pilot and just upgraded to the 2720. My friend had a non locking touratech mount for his color pilot and as a result he left it on the bike all the time as it was such a pain in the butt to remove. He got the locking mount from touratech for the new 2720. We both recommend it. I like the touratech with the adaptor bar because it has the advantage (for me) of getting the screen closer to me an my getting older and feebler eyesight. I dont know if the extra rubber shock absorber is necessary but it certainly cant hurt.

Bob
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:26 am

Bob,
Nope, I have no plans on repair. It sounds like a small nut that loosened, fell and is in the bottom of the housing. I only hear it if I take the unit and slowly roll it over. I'll let my son worry about when its his!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 9:57 am

Touratech locking mount/SP2720

Regarding the exposed terminal at this point i think the jury is still out. My Buddy just got the SP2720 in Feb and has not "tour tested" it yet. I will be meeting him south of Chicago on Sat 4/15/06 an we will be going to the New Mexico area. I expect we will "experience" some rain. When i return i can post a reply if someone has not already done it. I am thinking of getting a refurbished 2610 and assume the same situation applies.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Garmin 2610 mounting on a K12lt

I've been reading alot of your forum materials and with your help have just purchased a Garmin 2610. That said I am looking for information as to where the best location for mounting would be? And any additional items I may need to puchase to tie into my Baehr intercom system.
Thanks, Jeff
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:05 pm

I have both styles of the TT mount. The one with the smaller mounts I leave on the LT the one with the larger "shocks" I leave on my KTM 950. I like the one with the smaller "shocks" better because the 2610 will bounce all over with that "long travel suspension" and the smaller one was fine even on the 950, I actually tightened up the mounts so it would not move so much. The locking feature is a good thing as I feel safer when leaving the bike but with a screw driver you can pop it right off. If I was to buy a new one for the LT I would get the one with the smaller mounts. I have never had a problem with the power lead on either bikes and I have been in lots of rain, snow. With the GPS off the power lead goes into an insulated holder that keeps it safe, mine is hot all the time.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #12 of 13 Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:29 pm

Doug, I pulled the trigger and bought myself the 2720..Just been playing with it in the house and love the features..I have the BMR Co-Pilot shelf and have ordered the m/c kit from BMR Prodects
Question: how have you powered 2720? the map light? If so, what's the procedure, if it's not too much trouble to let me know..Or is there a thread that can coach me through it that you know of? Thanks..
post #13 of 13 Old May 24th, 2006, 8:30 am

Keep in mind that my comments are coming from a guy with a GPS mount, but no GPS. Something strange about that.

Lynn Keen helped me to tie the Garmin power cable to the map light. I have since helped another list member install the Garmin cable. There are several wires in the cable, but you need only the positive and ground wire; the other wires can be cut, and the entire cable can be shortened considerably if you connect to the map light (fused circuit). I forget the wire colors but someone has posted it before, or if you can't find it send me a PM and I'll look at mine again.

The map light has simple spade connectors. Add matching connectors to the bare ends of the Garmin wires, and connect them, along with the original map light wiring, to the light switch using Y-shaped adaptors available at Radio Shack or wherever. You will need to enlarge the hole on the side of the map light to pass the Garmin cable inside. Be careful not to remove plastic where the map light hooks in.

As regards the original question, I have the (plastic) Garmin motorcycle cradle attached to my BMR shelf with the slotted bracket. No question the Touratech mount is stronger but it's considerably more expensive. Even the bar adaptor needed to mount the Touratech to the shelf is more expensive than the slotted bracket used with the Garmin cradle. The Garmin cradle includes the power cable but it is also available separately if you go with the Touratech. At one point BMR Products didn't stock the cable only but it's available from other Garmin dealers such as www.getfeetwet.com.

The Garmin cradle has a little security screw that adds some casual theft deterrence, but not as much as the locking Touratech mount. Security is a relative term when the whole thing is mounted on a BMR shelf that a thief could probably tear out of the dash of the bike. The Touratech mount sure gets more uber-beemer-geek points, though.

I see that the Touratech website gives a warning about the exposed terminals on the Garmin wire (I can attest to that; I let the power cable touch something as I was installing it, and blew my fuse).

I don't see this as drawback for the Touratech mount, though, since the same cable is used for the Garmin mount. My cable came with a little plastic cap, and the plastic Garmin mount has a little slot to hold the cable in place when the GPS is not mounted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in