Zumo 550 dead... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 dead...

Well, went to get fueled up for a ride tomorrow and my 550 will not power up...

Went to Garmin website and did all the master resets and unplugging of the battery and still a no go. Garmin repair service is down for software now so I am not sure what the repair charge will be but maybe I need a new GPS.

I did a couple of searches and looks like a lot of people are using car GPS now due to the huge upgrade costs for the motorcycle specific units. Found some references to a $300 repair charge on the forum but not sure if this is worth $300. I don't have lifetime maps and I need an update. I almost bought a lifetime subscription this spring.. Only trouble moving away from the 550 is... all my mounts, for my truck, including my Touratech locking mount on my LT needs to be replaced.

What is the current GPS that is in vogue at this time? I am considering a car GPS because all the times I got caught in the rain with my SP III and the 550 it really never got really wet mounted on my BMR CoPilot. In fact I had a Sirius radio on the BMR for 5 years and it was not waterproof and it got wet but never failed.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Jul 13th, 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Re: Zumo 550 dead...

I'm looking forward to the responses.

I bought a 2005 LT that is ready for a Zumo but the prices are outrageous especially when looking at what you can get with the car mounts. So, I too am looking for a new GPS!

"Kill'em with kindness" - "Buddy" Brown (RIP) my dad.
1978 Yamaha DT125
1984 Honda Nighthawk S
2001 Suzuki Bandit S
2004 BMW R1150RT (wife loved this bike)
2005 Kawasaki 800 Classic
2005 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Though, not the same, when my NUVI 550 died, Garmin offered a flat rate of $100 for repair (they just actually send you a referb). I was also able to transfer my lifetime maps over for free. If you replace one GPS for another, not thru Garmin, there is a charge for the transfer.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRACER
Though, not the same, when my NUVI 550 died, Garmin offered a flat rate of $100 for repair (they just actually send you a referb).
If I could do that I might go that way.. I found a few posts with a $300 "repair anything" charge and that is too much for an old GPS. Garmin repair site is down tonight. I guess I will check early in the week.

I did some searches and see a Nuvi 3490LMT new for $235 and that will fit in a RAM Aqua Box for $75. This 550 is the second Garmin M/C GPS I bought and with all the money I spent buying and getting lockable mounts and maps I could have bought a new car GPS every few years.. even if I had a few stolen.. or destroyed by rain.

I would be interested in any comments on the 3490 setup if anyone has one on a M/C and if they can connect to a Bluetooth helmet either directly or via a phone.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Garage

Due to the outrageous costs of the new M/C units, the 550 is pretty pricey on the used market. I just got a Nav IV with my new bike and sold my old 550 on eBay for $425!

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 11:25 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Have you tried this site... http://www.zumoforums.com/

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 16 Old Jul 14th, 2013, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I would be interested in any comments on the 3490 setup if anyone has one on a M/C and if they can connect to a Bluetooth helmet either directly or via a phone.
I just installed the 2595 on my RT (replaced my 2610). I could not be happier. I will post a couple of pictures of it in a couple of days (I am migrating everything to a new computer). I will post the pictures under the "Non Motorcycle GPS" thread.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 1:32 am

My 550 has been acting up since getting wet quite some time ago and eventually would not allow me any inputs, other than screen changes with the buttons (intermittently) and zero use of the touchscreen. I was shopping other units also, but came across an old thread from another message board on a DIY replacement of the digitizer behind the screen. I purchased the digitizer AND new screen off Amazon for $54.48 (my screen was pretty scratched, but just the digitizer is less than $20) and figured I would take a gamble. It arrived today, I replaced it tonight in 20 minutes and it works like new!!! It was REALLY easy and I am very pleased ... the old 550 is back!!

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #9 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 5:42 am

Quote:
If I could do that I might go that way.. I found a few posts with a $300 "repair anything" charge and that is too much for an old GPS. Garmin repair site is down tonight. I guess I will check early in the week.

I did some searches and see a Nuvi 3490LMT new for $235 and that will fit in a RAM Aqua Box for $75. This 550 is the second Garmin M/C GPS I bought and with all the money I spent buying and getting lockable mounts and maps I could have bought a new car GPS every few years.. even if I had a few stolen.. or destroyed by rain.

Hey Jackd! What did you end up doing?

1978 Yamaha DT125
1984 Honda Nighthawk S
2001 Suzuki Bandit S
2005 BMW K1200LT
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady
My 550 has been acting up since getting wet quite some time ago and eventually would not allow me any inputs, other than screen changes with the buttons (intermittently) and zero use of the touchscreen. I was shopping other units also, but came across an old thread from another message board on a DIY replacement of the digitizer behind the screen. I purchased the digitizer AND new screen off Amazon for $54.48 (my screen was pretty scratched, but just the digitizer is less than $20) and figured I would take a gamble. It arrived today, I replaced it tonight in 20 minutes and it works like new!!! It was REALLY easy and I am very pleased ... the old 550 is back!!
Nicely Done!!!

1978 Yamaha DT125
1984 Honda Nighthawk S
2001 Suzuki Bandit S
2005 BMW K1200LT
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnbrown
Hey Jackd! What did you end up doing?
I finally stopped trying to fix it myself and called Garmin to see if they had a magic reboot policy as I looked through and preformed many procedures from their support pages and multiple other fixes I found on Internet. They told me they will fix it for $150 (replace it with remanufactured) but they could not guarantee a turnaround time. I sent it in.

In the mean time I bought a 756T on. eBay for $100. I thought that I would use that one because it was only 1 of 5 Garmins that support A2DP that I thought I could use to get Bluetooth directions to my Schubert SRC. That don't work either. I decided not to worry about rain because it is on my BMR shelf and my Sirius radio survived there for years.

Just got 550 back a few days ago and now I have both mounted and I decided to keep both running on the LT. I do not like the newer Garmins and the way they work. The 550 is not perfect but much better, IMHO, that the newer ones.

I would advise anyone to fix their 550. There is a reason that they are getting top dollar in the used markets. Almost twice as much as the mid feature Garmins.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 11:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I finally stopped trying to fix it myself and called Garmin to see if they had a magic reboot policy as I looked through and preformed many procedures from their support pages and multiple other fixes I found on Internet. They told me they will fix it for $150 (replace it with remanufactured) but they could not guarantee a turnaround time. I sent it in.
My 550 decided to drop almost all of my XM services after the Garmin update in July. I called Garmin and after almost an hour on hold they ran me through their diagnostic tree of tricks. Nothing worked. They informed me that the unit had a "corrupted file" that could not be fixed via a download and it had to be sent in. They quoted me $150 for the repair/replacement. UNACCEPTABLE!!! I asked the gentleman for his supervisor and he said he would patch me to his supervisor's voice mail. Again UNACCEPTABLE!!! I told him that I would hold on the phone ALL day if I had to (principle of the thing). I finally got the same fellow back on the phone after another 30 minutes of holding. He said they agreed with me in principle that since the unit worked perfectly well before the Garmin Update was installed that they would exchange the unit. I shipped it Monday and should have it back next week.

Morale of the story: Don't let them charge you for their own problems. They make the units difficult to pick and choose what to update. If they can't make it work well after their own update they should be on the hook for the repairs.

Aside from that a new model that has been getting a lot of attention is the Montana. The reviews of this model for some long distance / rally riders has been impressive.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
My 550 decided to drop almost all of my XM services after the Garmin update in July. I called Garmin and after almost an hour on hold they ran me through their diagnostic tree of tricks. Nothing worked. They informed me that the unit had a "corrupted file" that could not be fixed via a download and it had to be sent in. They quoted me $150 for the repair/replacement. UNACCEPTABLE!!! I asked the gentleman for his supervisor and he said he would patch me to his supervisor's voice mail. Again UNACCEPTABLE!!! I told him that I would hold on the phone ALL day if I had to (principle of the thing). I finally got the same fellow back on the phone after another 30 minutes of holding. He said they agreed with me in principle that since the unit worked perfectly well before the Garmin Update was installed that they would exchange the unit. I shipped it Monday and should have it back next week.

Morale of the story: Don't let them charge you for their own problems. They make the units difficult to pick and choose what to update. If they can't make it work well after their own update they should be on the hook for the repairs.

Aside from that a new model that has been getting a lot of attention is the Montana. The reviews of this model for some long distance / rally riders has been impressive.
I think that Garmin almost always replaces the unit for free if the update borked it. That has been my experience through my recent one with the Nav IV. I think it's important that you treat them courteously but firmly to get your way, but after my 1 hour wait to speak with someone, after we ran through a couple of things, he offered to replace it without discussion.

They do have you send it it, and he said that it is inspected for other damage that might have caused it. So, if you dropped it, cracked the screen, then try to say that the updated broke the screen, you probably are not going to be successful.

All in all, Garmin seems to be one of the few electronics companies that honors their products. But they really need to work on the time it takes to answer the phone!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Well, it makes since that they would fix a cratered GPS on an update. Makes good business sense but mine was not as a result of updating. One day it just refused to power on. I believe it had power supply problems. I was not charging the clock keep alive battery for a few months before it went dead.

I looked into all models and my bottom line is the the fonts are so small in the newer units that it makes it difficult for a 'old' guy with progressive lenses to quickly get the facts. The 765T that I added to my CoPilot shelf is a problem seeing the speed because it is always red and I have a defect in seeing red.. and it is half the size of the 550 speed font.

Another problem is recalculating. Seems in the newer generation of GPS models you cannot prevent a recalculate on moving off the downloaded course. Since I generate routes in Base Camp using different parameters recalculating takes you off the course, even with a gas stop..

That Montana looks interesting but its about the same size as an iPhone.. I looked into doing GPS off the iPhone but determined that detail was too small during complicated intersections and heavy traffic.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Another problem is recalculating. Seems in the newer generation of GPS models you cannot prevent a recalculate on moving off the downloaded course. Since I generate routes in Base Camp using different parameters recalculating takes you off the course, even with a gas stop...
This is certainly not the case with the 660 and 665...you have three recalc modes: "auto", "ask", and "don't".

I use "auto" and use custom routes heavily (almost exclusively) and have never had problems with it failing to honor my custom route even upon recalculation. It is important that you have the parameters on your Zumo set compatibly with your BC settings to avoid surprises.

I think you made the right call in sticking with your 550, given your situation. The 550's speed display is the best ever, and I think in general the 550 display is better. The faster processor and better GPS receiver in the 660 sure is nice, though.
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

That is true about the 660/665 they have similar recalculation prompts to the 550. The 765T, which I believed to be similar to the 660/665 in display and technology is mainly geared to the auto market. Put in a destination and take me there.. least amount of time on the road.

I use base camp to provide multi trip days and set the first and last days to direct (highway fastest) and also to route around major cities during so I don't waste time in traffic. I found that by using drag and drop to bend the route I can keep the route tight even with recalculation. However that takes quite a lot of extra time and attention to detail. Also the extra routing or shaping points can confuse the audio announcements. I have a multi day trip planned in the next week and I will try some workarounds that I have read about until some of the firmware changes.. hoping at least.. to recognize them as such..

I have done some side by side comparisons running the same route in both and the 765T is really faster but the display shows exactly the same thing only the 550 shows the 'meat' and the extra real estate of the display is sometimes wasted in the 765T. Also state/US route numbers seem to be not displayed as predominately as the 550... maybe it is the map detail.. My 765T maps are two years old. I have a lifetime map key for the 765T that I will apply the next time I download routes.. hopefully next week..

I traveled two years ago with another member "billd" and he used two GPS units and it worked really well especially when we went across Canada. I had trouble with km conversion with directions.. I used my iPhone for km speed but quick movements would confuse the iPhone app and hang it..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in