Zumo GPS Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Zumo GPS Questions

I'm thinking of upgrading to a new GPS, as the Garmin 2650 I now use started acting pretty weird on my last trip, and is not that easy to see in sunlight. I'm thinking about either a 660 or 665. Are they brighter than the old ones? How many Bluetooth devices can you connect to it? I was thinking of doing a bluetooth radar detecter unit along with phone if that's possible. Does stuff pair well with this unit? I know the 665 has the XM capability, but what are subscription costs per month for the radio, weather, and traffic features? The problem with that is I only need it for a few months a year, and they want to charge you all year for it. I wish XM would come up with a chip or something so that I could take it and put it in my car XM receiver so I don't have to pay a second subscription for that. I know I could just mount the unit in the car, but I already have built in stuff and I'd rather use that. As far as the MP3 player, is there internal memory for that, or is that all stored on a card? How big a card does it accept? Do the new units use map source software or is there new software for that? How are they at drawing maps on using specific routes you want to take? I always found it necessary to draw maps up on the computer if I wanted to pick and choose the roads I wanted to take as the unit would route me on whatever roads it chose depending on what routing preferences I chose, instead of the exact roads I wanted. Can I do this directly on the new units as that would be handy if I didn't have a computer handy. If not, can I connect to a computer through Bluetooth or wireless to download routes or does it have to be hooked up with a cable? Overall, how happy are most users happy with these units?

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 8:12 am

Garage
Re: Zumo GPS Questions

Suggest you investigate Zumo questions on:

www.zumoforums.com

Tons of information there.

I've been using a 665 for last couple years. Works fine. Particularly like the NavWeather (subscription read) feature. Screen visibility has some issues in bright sunlight.

Communications: I pair an iPhone to the GPS and then the GPS to a SENA headset. Not sure if you can pair a radar detector. There is a way to but requires adding a SENA SM10 BT Transmitter into the system. The SM10 would replace the Garmin BT which is problematic.
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmanley
Screen visibility has some issues in bright sunlight.
I would not own one except for the fact that it was built for the K1600 console. Most of the time, I cannot see or read the screen clearly enough for specific navigation. Audio is fine, but the sunlight washes out the screen.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Garmin uses an unusualy way to pair--the result is you pair with one device and a headset. Many times when you go to the MP3 player it didn't find the MP3 files. you must tuem it off and then back on and see if it found the MP3 files.

I saw a rumor that Tom Tom was coming out with an mc unit that has the option of taking scenic routes?

I use mapsource; the Garmin software is horriblle if you do not have an excellent memory for details--like trying to use DOS on early computers.

If you buy one make surer you use it, including going over 50mph, That way if it is defective you have time to send it back to them and waite to receive a refurbished or new unit. I went through three refurbished units, each with a diffreent malfunction. Garmin eventually sent a new unit to me which works--a lot of fighting with them including being told the probelms were that I didn't know how to use the unit.

I tried selling the new unit so I could try the other mc model gps.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Garmin uses an unusualy way to pair--the result is you pair with one device and a headset. Many times when you go to the MP3 player it didn't find the MP3 files. you must tuem it off and then back on and see if it found the MP3 files.

I saw a rumor that Tom Tom was coming out with an mc unit that has the option of taking scenic routes?

I use mapsource; the Garmin software is horriblle if you do not have an excellent memory for details--like trying to use DOS on early computers.

If you buy one make surer you use it, including going over 50mph, That way if it is defective you have time to send it back to them and waite to receive a refurbished or new unit. I went through three refurbished units, each with a diffreent malfunction. Garmin eventually sent a new unit to me which works--a lot of fighting with them including being told the probelms were that I didn't know how to use the unit.

I tried selling the new unit so I could try the other mc model gps.

bob
MapSource IS Garmin software.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2013, 9:44 pm

My 665 has been great.

As far as Bluetooth, you pair your headset and a phone.

I would highly recommend this instead of a bluetooth detector.

http://www.marcparnes.com/Visual_Alert.htm

I have this mounted on top of my Garmin 665 which is all mounted on a BMR Co-pilot mount. Puts the 5 LED's directly in my line of sight. NO NEED FOR SOUND!

I have my J& M Blutooth Headset and my Nokia 822 Windows phone paired to the Garmin, than a passenger can either plug into my headset control or bluettoth to it and thet hear exactly what I do and we can converse with each other.

I have had no MP3 nor Blue tooth problems with my 665! ( And of course you get in helmet directions too!)

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
My 665 has been great.

As far as Bluetooth, you pair your headset and a phone.

I would highly recommend this instead of a bluetooth detector.

http://www.marcparnes.com/Visual_Alert.htm

I have this mounted on top of my Garmin 665 which is all mounted on a BMR Co-pilot mount. Puts the 5 LED's directly in my line of sight. NO NEED FOR SOUND!

I have my J& M Blutooth Headset and my Nokia 822 Windows phone paired to the Garmin, than a passenger can either plug into my headset control or bluettoth to it and thet hear exactly what I do and we can converse with each other.

I have had no MP3 nor Blue tooth problems with my 665! ( And of course you get in helmet directions too!)
Not too sure how one of those visual alerts would work with a radar detector. You get too many false readings that would now be flashed in your face by the "ultra-bright red LEDs." Besides, I can tell easier whether it is a false signal or not by listening to it.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
Not too sure how one of those visual alerts would work with a radar detector. You get too many false readings that would now be flashed in your face by the "ultra-bright red LEDs." Besides, I can tell easier whether it is a false signal or not by listening to it.
Just speculation on your part!! It is designed specifically to be used with a radar detector???

I actually know, since I have the LED setup. IT WORKS GREAT.All I want is a visual alert that the detector has received a signal, I still have all the Valentine One lights (arrows, signal strength, number of bogey's and type of signal available) on the unit, but those are not in my line of site. So the LED tells me to look at my radar detector.

Not true on any count, and you can't tell what is a false alarm by listening or watching the lights.

And the LED's ARE NOT flashing IN YOUR FACE distractingly or otherwise.

False alarms do not bother me and you easily get to know where they are in your travel pattern, but you never know when the 5.0 is in one of those areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Just speculation on your part!! It is designed specifically to be used with a radar detector???

I actually know, since I have the LED setup. IT WORKS GREAT.All I want is a visual alert that the detector has received a signal, I still have all the Valentine One lights (arrows, signal strength, number of bogey's and type of signal available) on the unit, but those are not in my line of site. So the LED tells me to look at my radar detector.

Not true on any count, and you can't tell what is a false alarm by listening or watching the lights.

And the LED's ARE NOT flashing IN YOUR FACE distractingly or otherwise.

False alarms do not bother me and you easily get to know where they are in your travel pattern, but you never know when the 5.0 is in one of those areas.
5.0? What's that? As far as my local area, I know where the false alarms are. It's when I'm riding through unfamiliar areas that I might have problems with that.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 9:55 pm

Quote:
5.0? What's that? As far as my local area, I know where the false alarms are. It's when I'm riding through unfamiliar areas that I might have problems with that.
5.0 is the cops,

Street slang comes from the Police Dept. in Hawaii 5.0 also could be from the fact they drove Mustangs back in the original size with a 5.0 liter engine!~

False alarms are not a problem if you treat them as the real thing.

Very few if any except in crowded urban areas where you probably should not be speeding anyway!

post #11 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
5.0 is the cops,

Street slang comes from the Police Dept. in Hawaii 5.0 also could be from the fact they drove Mustangs back in the original size with a 5.0 liter engine!~

False alarms are not a problem if you treat them as the real thing.

Very few if any except in crowded urban areas where you probably should not be speeding anyway!
Oh, I get it now and would have gotten it before if you spelled it out like the show, Five-O. 5.0 made it sound technical and like some new type of radar or something.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 11:49 pm

Quote:
Oh, I get it now and would have gotten it before if you spelled it out like the show, Five-O. 5.0 made it sound technical and like some new type of radar or something.
The mustangs had a a 5.0 on the side

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 9:14 pm

Shud b mapquest, on-line

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in