Adndroid phone as audio reciever for gps directions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 26th, 2013, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Adndroid phone as audio reciever for gps directions

Hey all, I'm trying to do something different here. I can pair my gps and the phone to make calls over the gps no problem. What I want to do is use the gps for navigation, and have the gps send the audio voice directions to my Verizon phone. This way, I don't have to run a cable from the gps mounted on the bike to my helmet speakers, but will run the cable from my phone to my helmet. Does anyone know if there is a phone app that allows me to use the phone as a blue tooth audio reciever. Everything I've found discusses using the phone as the gps, but that will run up the data costs.
It is a Garmin Nuvi 765, and the phone is a Galaxy S3.

2005 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2013, 8:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Adndroid phone as audio reciever for gps directions

Wish you luck with that requirement, I don't know of any GPS that will redirect it's directions output to the phone Bluetooth connection.
You mention helmet speakers, what headset/speakers do you have there maybe another way to get what you want to do with more information on your setup.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 27th, 2013, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Wish you luck with that requirement, I don't know of any GPS that will redirect it's directions output to the phone Bluetooth connection.
You mention helmet speakers, what headset/speakers do you have there maybe another way to get what you want to do with more information on your setup.
I mostly use a set of helmet speakers with a 3.5 jack. My GPS does have an bluetooth audio profile. I also have a cardo scala rider team set pro, but I already know the gps won't connect to that, since the gps is a Nuvi and not a Zumo.

2005 R1200RT

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 7:46 am

You would need a cable that sends the GPS audio into the Microphone in on the phone. then an app that passes the sound from the microphone to the headphones.

Problem is it will eliminate your ability to take any phone calls as only the GPS will be able to talk to the callers.

Then you need to find an app that will route the mic to the audio out, for android that will be https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oSpeaker&hl=en as the app.

The cable to route the GPS audio to the mic in on the phone needs to have attenuation because your GPS has line level (1Volt) audio out, and the mic in is looking for microphone level (10Millivolt) levels. so you need an attenuation in the middle.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 1:10 am

I've used an app on my android phone called Sygic. It's available for download via playstore and the web. It doesn't use data. It just works via your internal gps and maps downloaded via web. I've used it in north america and europe. Works great!! Cheers. John
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 1:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptine
I mostly use a set of helmet speakers with a 3.5 jack. My GPS does have an bluetooth audio profile. I also have a cardo scala rider team set pro, but I already know the gps won't connect to that, since the gps is a Nuvi and not a Zumo.
No simple quick solution with that setup, the bluetooth GPS profile will get the phone to work with the GPS but not the headset.

You could add a 3.5mm jack to the GPS and hard wire to the headset, pair the phone to the headset. You could add a bluetooth dongle to the GPS and pair dongle to the headset, pair the phone to the headset also and you get what you want.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Looks like your answer is one of these.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Hooks everything together the way you want and will work with your BT helmet/headset
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 4:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
Looks like your answer is one of these.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Hooks everything together the way you want and will work with your BT helmet/headset
Pretty sure that will not connect via bluetooth to the GPS he has. None of the Automotive GPS's will connect via bluetooth to anything other than a hands free cell phone type device.
You would need to wire the speaker output to the SR10. And the SR10 is more designed for CB connections, might be better to go with the SM10.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Pretty sure that will not connect via bluetooth to the GPS he has. None of the Automotive GPS's will connect via bluetooth to anything other than a hands free cell phone type device.
You would need to wire the speaker output to the SR10. And the SR10 is more designed for CB connections, might be better to go with the SM10.
you are correct, you run a wire to the GPS, and it connects bluetooth to your helmet. mixing the phone and GPS audio all together. If he ever wanted to add FRS radio or a radar detector the SR10 is better. Plus it's only $25.00 difference in price on amazon.com so get the more capable device in case you want to add more stuff to it in the future.

Now the bigger question is, does the car GPS have a speaker out. I just checked all of mine and Garmin thinks nobody would want that feature....
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 8:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
Now the bigger question is, does the car GPS have a speaker out. I just checked all of mine and Garmin thinks nobody would want that feature....
Most don't, I have seen the ones intended for campers that have a headphone jack, but they are 7 inches is size.
So the solution is take the back off the GPS and tap into the speaker, run the wire outside and add a 3.5mm jack.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in