wow, Garmin's "base camp" software SUCKS. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

wow, Garmin's "base camp" software SUCKS.

What a horsesh*t chunk of worthless software. I think handing a blind 2-year old a crayon and a paper map would be easier, cleaner, more intuitive, and give you better results than trying to create and export a route. If I end up at the bottom of a ravine in the Hill Country tomorrow, blame Garmin.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Re: wow, Garmin's "base camp" software SUCKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
What a horsesh*t chunk of worthless software. I think handing a blind 2-year old a crayon and a paper map would be easier, cleaner, more intuitive, and give you better results than trying to create and export a route. If I end up at the bottom of a ravine in the Hill Country tomorrow, blame Garmin.
I use it all the time and like it just fine.

If you want to describe some specific problems you're having, I and others will be happy to help.

It is, admittedly, an acquired taste. I didn't care for Starbucks coffee the first time I tried it; now I make a bee line there every morning.
post #3 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 5:17 pm

Agree with Jim on this one.

Moved up from map source and it's a big improvement in my opinion.

Why am I here and what day is it??

post #4 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 5:19 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I completely agree with you Pete and using it with a Mac if even more of a pain.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 5:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

JimE -

I usually agree with you and, in the case of all things Garmin and BasCamp, defer to your expertise.

But Starbucks?

Jeez Louise, man, try Peet's. Their French Roast is good for around-the-house coffee. Starbucks tastes burnt.

Worth the drive to Houston...

Tom

p.s. I've grown to really like BaseCamp. Took a while, but I use it exclusively.

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #6 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I felt the same way until I attended a seminar on how to use it conducted by Don Norwood. I love it much better now than Mapsource. But it is NOT intuitive. Once you learn how it operates it is way more powerful. If anything Garmin has dropped the ball on helping you learn how to use it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:13 pm

Mapsource?

I booted that up a couple of times, felt as if I was back in DOS world, and fled.

I got BaseCamp running. tried to follow the online tutorial without success and went back to MapQuest.

I now use Bing maps, and then enter the important point into mapquest, save it to my garmin gps.

Some day if I'm exceedingly bored I'll look at Base Cramp again.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12R12RT
Jeez Louise, man, try Peet's.
Thanks for the tip...always looking to learn something new!
post #9 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I completely agree with you Pete and using it with a Mac if even more of a pain.
Ah...what do you know?
post #10 of 44 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:53 pm

Quote:
And I totally agree with you
post #11 of 44 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 2:05 am

Garage

I almost agree with you!

Is it easy to use? No! Absolutely not, it takes time to get to grips with it. However when you do you can use it to make some very nice routes which can be tailored to fit what you want, and where you want to go.

Can it be improved? Yes! It's search function is rather pathetic. However they are trying to improve it - the latest beta apparently has UK postcode searches, as well as an improved search functionality.

I had to sweat blood and tears to get to know Map-Source, and then I had to repeat the exercise with Base-Camp. However it is worth it in the end, also it works with the Garmin so you can keep a record of where you have gone (if your device handles tracks.) As well as being a one stop shop for all the historical routing.

If you need help, you can always ask, and if you have a zumo then have a look at Zumoforums.com. They are a friendly bunch there.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #12 of 44 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
I almost agree with you!

Is it easy to use? No! Absolutely not, it takes time to get to grips with it. However when you do you can use it to make some very nice routes which can be tailored to fit what you want, and where you want to go.

Can it be improved? Yes! It's search function is rather pathetic. However they are trying to improve it - the latest beta apparently has UK postcode searches, as well as an improved search functionality.

I had to sweat blood and tears to get to know Map-Source, and then I had to repeat the exercise with Base-Camp. However it is worth it in the end, also it works with the Garmin so you can keep a record of where you have gone (if your device handles tracks.) As well as being a one stop shop for all the historical routing.

If you need help, you can always ask, and if you have a zumo then have a look at Zumoforums.com. They are a friendly bunch there.

Best regards
Sleuth
Sleuth, a big +1 to all your points.

To chime in a bit...

In my experience there are four things that give people fits when they begin working with BaseCamp, whether coming from MapSource or from online mapping programs like Google's or MapQuest's.

1. The BC data base. All of your objects (waypoints, routes, and tracks) are stored in a single data base, and you can tag items and place them into "lists". Lists are the fundamental organizational entity, and the concept is very powerful and useful. However, most newcomers that don't know about lists inevitably just work out of My Collection, and within a few minutes of playing around have a hopeless jumble of stuff from different trips and different parts of the country (or world) cluttering things up. It would be like if you went into your garage, took all of your tools and dumped them into a big 50 gallon drum, then tried to work out of that. Yes, you would hate it. So my advice #1 for newbies: learn how lists work. This may help .

2. BC "modality". We are spoiled by modern apps like Google Maps...we just start clicking and most of the time the program infers (usually correctly) what we want it to do. With BC, you have to explicitly tell it what "mode" that you want to be in. For example, if you want to edit a route, you have to tell it "I want to edit a route" (go into Insert mode) and then you can do it. If you want to move a waypoint, you have to click on the "move waypoint" tool to put it into that mode before you can do it. A bit cumbersome, but certainly not insurmountable once you crack the code.

3. BC does not "snap" like MapSource does. If you are modifying a route interactively, you can steer it completely offroad without any protest from BC. MS would "snap" to the road when you clicked, BC does not. I'm sure this is because BC also wants to provide support for hiking, off-road biking, etc. Of course it could have a preference to allow that, but for whatever reason Garmin has not addressed this in BC. Although this sounds really bad, in practice I have found it not to be too big a deal, as long as you develop the habit of making a quick "QC" pass on your route after you've built it. This approach is addressed in this demo .

4. BC search function. IMO, this is the worst "feature" of the program. Garmin knows it is bad, and as Sleuth notes they are addressing it. To what effect remains to be seen. I often use Google to find things, then get their lat/long and create a waypoint in BC using that. Since when I am choosing hotels or restaurants, I usually am on the web looking at reviews, etc. anyway, this is not much trouble. Also, I almost always use Google Street View to sanity check any destination, if for no other reason to know what it's going to look like when I get there, so if my destination if half a block down the side street, or tucked in behind another building, I know what to expect. My philosophy here is to think of BC as a wrench; it is a useful tool to have, but it's a single tool, not a whole toolbox. Use the right tool for the job at hand.
Using Google to get lat/longs to create waypoints in BC is addressed in this demo, but with a couple of notes needed:
1. To easily get lat/longs from Google Maps, you need to enable the "drop lat/lng feature" by clicking on the Maps Labs link at the bottom of the Google Map left panel:
Note that if you are logged in to Google Maps, it will remember that setting for you whenever you are logged in. If you are not logged in, you will have to re-enable it or log in.

2. There's a cleaner way to create the waypoint in BC than what I show here, and that is to use Find>Locate Coordinates.... It will give you the option of creating a waypoint from the coordinates. (Be sure you're in the right list when you do this.)
Hope that helps a little.
post #13 of 44 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 8:58 pm

I also had a horrible time at first, then with help from the community I realized that while using it with my device connected to access my maps that the tool was dependant on the processor spead of my Nav IV and I needed to work in smaller increments to avoid locking my system up. So once I slowed down the system really began to work for me.

Tuck
post #14 of 44 Old Jun 4th, 2013, 11:19 pm

I've had good look with tyre, here: http://www.tyretotravel.com/ I originally used it when I had a cheap TomTom, but I now use it with the Nav IV. You can simply drag your route to where you want it. I find it pretty intuitive.

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #15 of 44 Old Jun 5th, 2013, 5:15 am

[QUOTE=12R12RT]
Jeez Louise, man, try Peet's. Their French Roast is good for around-the-house coffee. Starbucks tastes burnt.

Worth the drive to Houston...

Tom[/QUOTE

I agree fully about Starbucks. Overpriced, over roasted, over hyped.

Anybody wanting a great dark roast coffee really needs to try Community Coffee Dark Roast. This is also a family-owned company that has been around a long time. I have converted a lot of coffee drinkers all over the country to this brand.

http://www.communitycoffee.com/

Back to topic: I am a Mac user, and I can do routes quicker on the GPS.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #16 of 44 Old Jun 5th, 2013, 7:35 am

I use BC on my MAC and Dell laptop and like it much better than Mapsource. To be fair though I only use tracks so I might not be getting to experience some of the suckiness that others are complaining about.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #17 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 12:40 am

stupid question- what's a track in re: to how it's used in this thread? same as route?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #18 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 1:34 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
stupid question- what's a track in re: to how it's used in this thread? same as route?
To put it simply
Route - is where you would like to go
Track - is where you have been

I use tracks to see where I have been as well as how I performed against the designed route. Also it is useful to see how to get to a place or a great route that you would like to go/use again.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #19 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 2:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
To put it simply
Route - is where you would like to go
Track - is where you have been

I use tracks to see where I have been as well as how I performed against the designed route. Also it is useful to see how to get to a place or a great route that you would like to go/use again.
Thanks. Your definition makes sense.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #20 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 7:38 am

I do a lot of adventure riding and use tracks that I download from various sites. Last year I did the Utah Backcountry Discover Route (UTBDR). This year it will be Wyoming, Idaho and Washington (WABDR). You can get the track for free at: http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/

Without the tracks, and with my unique sense of direction, I would be lost most of the time. Using BaseCamp for tracks really is nice because I can get all my tracks in a single file. Also just an FYI, and not related to BC; I have a Garmin 60CSX that is limited to 20 tracks of 500 points each. But using some third party software you can convert any/all tracks to an "map overlay" which means I am no longer limited to 20 tracks. I can have as many track and points as I want, which is really nice for those long adventure rides when I'm out in the boonies for weeks on end.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #21 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 1:47 pm

my whole problem with all the SW is I plan a route, even it it is around the block on Mapsource or Basecamp and then plug into the garmin I most often get a different route.

VERY frustrating

I also had a problem that when I do put in 5-6 way points, sometimes the way points are on the other side of the road or the other side of the large gas station and when I pull out the garmin tries to re route me back to the way point.

how do I bypass a way point if it is trying to reroute me back to a place I already got to.

Paul

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #22 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
my whole problem with all the SW is I plan a route, even it it is around the block on Mapsource or Basecamp and then plug into the garmin I most often get a different route.

VERY frustrating

I also had a problem that when I do put in 5-6 way points, sometimes the way points are on the other side of the road or the other side of the large gas station and when I pull out the garmin tries to re route me back to the way point.

how do I bypass a way point if it is trying to reroute me back to a place I already got to.

Paul
There is a way to download a route to (at least some models) Zumo and have it not immediately recalculate your route. That sounds good on the surface, but unless you turn off recalculation or never miss a turn or change your mind while en route, you are just prolonging the inevitable.

So the trick is to learn to build routes that will withstand recalculation.

First, make sure your route preferences and avoidances are set compatibly between your software (BC or MS) and your Zumo. They will not have the exact same set of avoidances, but there is overlap and you can set them consistently. And same for routing preference. A simple example is don't have software set to fastest and Zumo set to shortest. Those are the routing preference, but the same principle holds for avoidances (like avoid toll roads).

Then make sure you put in enough via/shaping points when building your route so that the Zumo doesn't have any reasonable alternatives than to go the way you want. If you're turning off a main road and heading down a secondary road, then eventually coming back to the main road...put your shaping point approximately halfway down your detour. Otherwise if might try to take you a little ways down the road, then tell you to turn around and go back to the main road if it thinks that will get you there faster. Or use a couple of points on the secondary road. In practice, if you get your preferences and avoidances set right, you won't have too many surprises.

The other thing is to get in the habit of downloading your route to the Zumo and doing a preview to make sure you have no surprises. A couple of minutes at home or in the hotel sure beats sitting on the side of the road trying to figure out what the $^%& is going on.

As far as skipping via points, the behavior will differ from model to model of the device. My 660 will try a couple of times to get me to go back and pick up the missed point, but then give up and let me continue on the route. Some guys like to turn off automatic recalculation, and just get themselves back to the planned route if they make a detour, either accidentally or intentionally.

Hope that helps a little.

Here's a little demo on routing using BC that might help. It doesn't directly address your question, but it might give you a better feel for it.
post #23 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 3:49 pm

I tried Basecamp and was getting used to it and wasn't using Mapsource anymore. Then without warning, BC would no longer send lists or routes to my GPS or the SD card in it. So it was back to MapSource for me.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #24 of 44 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 6:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight

VERY frustrating

Paul
Every thing Jim said is great.

As far as points not where I thought they were, I always preview (in the SW) my route by stepping through the "directions" tab. That gives you a zoom to each point and often I find one or two about 60 ft off the road. I just move them back onto the road. I also preview each route in Google Earth and I often find the gas station is closer to the interstate than Garmin's maps said it was. So I fix that as well. On my 2720 I used just turn off the GPS and reload the route and it usually picked it back up after I passed a point on purpose. Don't see that behavior on the 660.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #25 of 44 Old Jun 7th, 2013, 2:17 am

Turn your unit off, and then on. it will ask you if you want to recalculate from the begining--nope. it takes where you are, and yer of and re4unnin.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #26 of 44 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 2:20 pm

thanks for the help guys.

I will continue to play with the GPS and see if I can get it to bypass a way point if the Garmin thinks I missed it.

I did this sometime back and maybe I just did not wait long enough for the GPS to decide that I was not going back to that last way paint that was not where I really wanted to be.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #27 of 44 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 12:45 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: wow, Garmin's "base camp" software DOES NOT SUCKS.

Quote:
OK OK OK I'll fess up. I had JimE come over & load Basecamp on my Mac (Older version of basecamp). Then he walked me though all the steps from how to start a route to how to load it into my GPS. We spent a few hours making a few routes then moving the route to different roads. It took a while to figure out how to get the moved routes just right but once I got the hang of it I found it very easy to use. It had been 5 or 6 years since I used the older Garmin Mapsoure but Basecamp does seam to be better & easier to use. I had all my routes going to CCR already loaded (I used Mapquest) but I redid them in Basecamp to see how the route compared. It took me over a hour to do 4 route that cover 5 days & 2500 miles on mapquest. It only took about 15 minutes to redo the same route from the start on basecamp.

YES Jim I said it Basecamp is good stuff. !!!!

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 1st, 2013 at 12:51 pm.
post #28 of 44 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 1:35 pm

Re: wow, Garmin's "base camp" software DOES NOT SUCKS.

Quote:
OK OK OK I'll fess up. I had JimE come over & load Basecamp on my Mac (Older version of basecamp). Then he walked me though all the steps from how to start a route to how to load it into my GPS. We spent a few hours making a few routes then moving the route to different roads. It took a while to figure out how to get the moved routes just right but once I got the hang of it I found it very easy to use. It had been 5 or 6 years since I used the older Garmin Mapsoure but Basecamp does seam to be better & easier to use. I had all my routes going to CCR already loaded (I used Mapquest) but I redid them in Basecamp to see how the route compared. It took me over a hour to do 4 route that cover 5 days & 2500 miles on mapquest. It only took about 15 minutes to redo the same route from the start on basecamp.

YES Jim I said it Basecamp is good stuff. !!!!
Well. the apocalypse must surely be upon us.

Glad you're getting on well with it!
post #29 of 44 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 2:54 pm

BaseCamp also opened and sent to my nuvi 2595 the gdb map file. I thought BaseCamp only dealt with gpx files????

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #30 of 44 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
BaseCamp also opened and sent to my nuvi 2595 the gdb map file. I thought BaseCamp only dealt with gpx files????
If you do a "send to" in BC, it will use a gpx file. If you do an "export", you can specify the type of file you want to export; one of the options is gdb. BC will also import gdb files.
post #31 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2013, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
I've had good look with tyre, here: http://www.tyretotravel.com/ I originally used it when I had a cheap TomTom, but I now use it with the Nav IV. You can simply drag your route to where you want it. I find it pretty intuitive.

Dale
I completely agree with Dale on TyreToTravel (and with the subject of this thread, Basecamp does SUCK!). After attempting to plan out a 10-day trip from GA to AR and MO I finally gave up and was going to manually build the route on the Garmin GPS after laying out the route in GoogleMaps, but I happened up this video on YouTube http://youtu.be/gPvV_c1M8yc and after watching it downloaded TyreToTravel from http://www.tyretotravel.com.

I was able to use the routes I had laid out in GoogleMaps by importing the link from GoogleMaps to TyreToTravel, save the .GPX file, and then copy it directly from TyreToTravel to my Garmin GPS. Very straight forward, very easy to use, and quick!

Tip #1: the YouTube video says to Import Route Tracks when importing the GoogleMaps link. DON'T DO THAT or you will be deleting hundreds of waypoints as a result and the Garmin GPS has a max of 500 waypoints per route. Instead, import Waypoints which will import only the waypoints you set in GoogleMaps and should come up with the same route, assuming you have both GoogleMaps and TyreToTravel set up the same way regarding use of highways, toll roads, etc.

Tip #2: Don't bother with the step recommended in the video to validate your TyreToTravel route by importing it into Basecamp. I did that with a couple segments of my trip to AR and found that Basecamp shows some sections of the route as offroad, yet GoogleMaps, TyreToTravel and the Garmin GPS itself all show the same roads, which is why Basecamp sucks.

Tip #3: If planning a long trip, build the entire trip in GoogleMaps, import the entire trip to TyreToTravel and save the .GPX file. Then, from the full route delete everything except the first day including start and end points, save that as Day 1 of Trip (or whatever), then open the full trip again and do the same for the next day, etc., etc. When done load all of the Day routes on your GPS. It makes it much easier each day to only have that day's route, especially if you decide to deviate from the route for some unplanned sightseeing or whatever.

Jason
2012 BMW R1200RT
2012 Honda CBR250R
2003 Honda RVT1000R RC51 SP2
2001 Honda RVT1000R RC51 SP1
2006 KTM 250 SX-F
post #32 of 44 Old Sep 4th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrich69
Tip #2: Don't bother with the step recommended in the video to validate your TyreToTravel route by importing it into Basecamp. I did that with a couple segments of my trip to AR and found that Basecamp shows some sections of the route as offroad, yet GoogleMaps, TyreToTravel and the Garmin GPS itself all show the same roads, which is why Basecamp sucks.
If you bring in a list of waypoints to BC it is not going to map a route to roads until you create a route (i.e. recalculate). Instead, you will just have an ordered list of waypoints. Set the profile for the new route to what you want (i.e. Motorcycle, Off-Road, etc.) then tell it to calculate the route and you will find it will follow the roads, based on your preferences.

When you import a route to the Zumo, it calculates the route as part of the import process based on your current preferences and avoidances. That's why you see it snapping to roads immediately.

Since when you bring in waypoints from a third party app using a different underlying map set, you will possibly find that some of your points are slightly off the road.

This speaks to some of the pros and cons of using third party applications to build routes for your Zumo.

If you're having good success using Tyre, that's great. BC may "suck", but not because of the behavior you're describing.
post #33 of 44 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
If you bring in a list of waypoints to BC it is not going to map a route to roads until you create a route (i.e. recalculate). Instead, you will just have an ordered list of waypoints. Set the profile for the new route to what you want (i.e. Motorcycle, Off-Road, etc.) then tell it to calculate the route and you will find it will follow the roads, based on your preferences.

When you import a route to the Zumo, it calculates the route as part of the import process based on your current preferences and avoidances. That's why you see it snapping to roads immediately.

Since when you bring in waypoints from a third party app using a different underlying map set, you will possibly find that some of your points are slightly off the road.

This speaks to some of the pros and cons of using third party applications to build routes for your Zumo.

If you're having good success using Tyre, that's great. BC may "suck", but not because of the behavior you're describing.
I did recalculate and it did map a route in BC. The issue was that some of the roads (not many, but a couple out towards Arkansas) that were used for mapping the route in GoogleMaps and on the GPS were not shown in BC, no matter how much you zoomed in.

While "sucks" may be a little overstated I was just going with the subject of the thread which I did not start, but to me this functionality (or lack thereof) is less than desirable. I want to see the route in full detail with road numbers/names and all detail before I load it on the GPS; otherwise, I might as well create the route directly on my GPS to start with.

While I know there would be all kinds of licensing costs and issues, the ultimate solution would be for Garmin to strike a deal with Google to be able to build routes in GoogleMaps and load them directly to your Garmin. Probably a pipe dream, but that would be real 2013 technology solution whereas copying links from GoogleMaps to TyreToTravel, then importing into Basecamp to validate before loading the route on the GPS is quite 1980's IMHO.

To my point, in BC try to find AR-13 about 3 miles south/southeast of Beebe, AR that takes you to AR-38 approximately 12 miles southeast of Beebe, AR. It can't be found in BC, yet if you map a non-highway, non-toll route from Clarksdale, MS to Conway, AR in GoogleMaps it will map the route using that road and the GPS maps on the Garmin are aware of it as well. See picture for route I am talking about.

This is what frustrates me with BC but you're right it doesn't suck, it's just not very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 10.21.06 AM.png
Views:	164
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	40641  

Jason
Street
2012 BMW R1200RT
2012 Honda CBR250R
Dirt
2006 KTM 250 SX-F
Pedal
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er
2011 Trek Madone 5.2 Carbon
post #34 of 44 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Quote:
...To my point, in BC try to find AR-13 about 3 miles south/southeast of Beebe, AR that takes you to AR-38 approximately 12 miles southeast of Beebe, AR. It can't be found in BC,...
You mean as in this snip from BC? Is your map detail set to "highest"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	2977
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	40657  
post #35 of 44 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
You mean as in this snip from BC? Is your map detail set to "highest"?
I believe so, but now I'm starting to wonder since you're obviously seeing that road. If you are referring to View -> Toolbars -> Detail Level, I have mine set to Highest and it doesn't show that road. Is that not the correct configuration item for Map Detail?

Why would mapping software consider any federal, state or county roads "detail?" That's like looking on iTunes and only seeing the Billboard Top 50, because all other songs would be "detail."

Jason
Street
2012 BMW R1200RT
2012 Honda CBR250R
Dirt
2006 KTM 250 SX-F
Pedal
post #36 of 44 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 8:11 am

Quote:
...Why would mapping software consider any federal, state or county roads "detail?" That's like looking on iTunes and only seeing the Billboard Top 50, because all other songs would be "detail."
Well, don't know about BC, but you most likely wouldn't want this much detail on a small four or five inch GPS/smartphone screen the majority of the time. In some rural areas, county roads are pretty prolific-often dozens of them. BC might be trying to save resources by not showing this "detail" if it is programmed to treat the info as irrelevant.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #37 of 44 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Well, don't know about BC, but you most likely wouldn't want this much detail on a small four or five inch GPS/smartphone screen the majority of the time. In some rural areas, county roads are pretty prolific-often dozens of them. BC might be trying to save resources by not showing this "detail" if it is programmed to treat the info as irrelevant.
I agree that you wouldn't want that level of detail rendered on the GPS unit UNLESS one of those roads was part of your route, but I would like all major roads shown in my mapping software so I can select the best route for my ride.

Just my opinion, but any roads that GoogleMaps uses by default to route between two points should be a big enough road to render in BC. The example provided is a state road...certainly it should be visible is BC by default? Regardless, it does appear that it's simply a detail view setting though I still haven't found that setting anywhere. I am still of the opinion that BC is sub-par to other non-proprietary mapping software, but..opinions are like buttholes, everybody's got one and a lot of 'em stink.

Jason
Street
2012 BMW R1200RT
2012 Honda CBR250R
Dirt
2006 KTM 250 SX-F
Pedal
post #38 of 44 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 4:28 pm

I could be way off base here and I'm definitely no expert with Garmin nor Basecamp but that wont stop me from offering advice. I found that if I was working in BaseCamp without having the NAV IV connected to the computer my maps were not as detailed nor accurate. I presumed that was because my GPS was more up todate than the maps on my computer were. There is probably more to it then this but I found if I just connected the two devices the problem was solved. I'm way to lazy to update the computer maps because it takes all night to download. This is an interesting thread and suspect i'm about to learn something so keep on talking.

If you find any value in this post I will be genuinely shocked however you are welcome to any and all benefit providing you accept all liability for any damages that may result.

Larry
2012 RT (Midnight blue)
post #39 of 44 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 8:29 am

I find also that Basecamp will default to the most current map on the PC if there are any installed and then it's a basic global map. But like you I find that I can plug the Zumo in and use that map. I've recently updated my maps so that they are the same on both the computer and the GPS. But Garmin Express will not let you do this and you have to use the old Map Updater to do it.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #40 of 44 Old Sep 10th, 2013, 4:13 pm

As others have mentioned, are you looking at the Global Map rather than a detailed map? Make sure View>Toolbars>Map Products is checked and that it shows something like "City Navigator North America ..." rather than Global Map. If you don't see anything other than Global Map in the selector, it means that you don't have your detailed maps installed on your computer. Garmin Express presumably will support that now, but many still use MapUpdater as it definitely does. See http://www.2wheelgeek.com/BaseCampResources.aspx

If you don't have your detailed maps on your computer, BC will use the ones on the Zumo if you plug it in. But your performance will be very poor. Save yourself a big headache and figure out how to get them on your computer (if they're not there). Then save yourself another headache by using MapUpdater to do it. Set it up and get it started, then go to dinner as it will take a while.

Another thing that controls the level of detail on the map display is the display setting for the currently selected Activity Profile. See Edit>Option>Activity Profile>Map Display Features>Select>Lines>Transportation. You might want to Reset Activity Options and make sure you're starting with a clean set of defaults.

If you don't know what the current Activity Profile is, make sure View>Toolbars>Activity Profiles is checked.

All of these details are for the PC version; if you're on a Mac the details will be different but you should have much the same functionality.

Last edited by JimE; Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:19 pm.
post #41 of 44 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 10:26 am

My riding partners do their maps in Google Maps, then share that map with me. Is there an easy way to bring the route from Google Maps to BaseCamp, or to the Nav IV ? I know you can save the Google Map as a KML file, them convert to GPX (using 3rd party), then import ., Just wondering if there is a better way, because it is a pretty involved process...

2012 R1200RT
2009 GTV 250
post #42 of 44 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 5:30 pm

My advice is learn basic BC and just create new routes based on the Google Maps. It's so quick once you have a little practice. I use Google Maps to figure out my preferred route then I create the final in BC. Google is great for zooming in to photo view and panning. I can really see the road conditions, scenery, etc. However a good clean BC map with my preferences is really the only way to go, especially if you Bluetooth the instructions to helmet.

Just my opinion.

Larry
2012 RT Midnight Blue
post #43 of 44 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Here's something that may be of use to Basecamp users, copied and pasted from the BMWMOA site:

Learn Garmin BaseCamp (for Beginners) at the beginner level and move forward. (FREE)
This is an invitation to those wishing to Learn Garmin BaseCamp.

I have created several Tutorial videos that begin with a beginning level and move forward to more advanced levels, currently there are 15 videos. Should interest continue and with input from others...we will move forward with more advanced methods to use Garmin BaseCamp and your Garmin GPS to create data, routes, waypoints and POI for your motorcycle traveling adventures.

Garmin Mapsource was great, I loved it...but things change...Garmin has not updated MapSource since Oct 2010...and will be phrased out. As long as you continue to use your present computer, present GPS you can continue to use MapSource, however with any new updates, upgrades, new computer or GPS unit...one day you will find that it not longer works.

Garmin BaseCamp is free download, works with Garmin GPS units....once connected it shares the technology of the connected GPS unit and deliver the proper data to that attached GPS. Many, including myself, feel there is a sharp learning curve to BaseCamp. The only intend of these videos is get you over the learning curve.

For the past few months, I have presented these videos in select groups and forums... I find myself running from forum to forum to answer questions and replies. Therefore, four of my friends from the MTF (Motorcycle Touring Forum) who have great knowledge about Garmin BaseCamp have joined together to create a discussion forum.. Learn Garmin BaseCamp. The forum is located on Delphi Forums, a free use forum...the link below will direct you to that forum. Please look at the Welcome folder to find information and tutorial video on how to use the Delphi Forum.

Join, register, create profile and be a part of the discussion. Invite your friends to join the learning experience.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/GarminBasecamp

This is Free...giving back to the community to help others...the only intend!

Don G Norwood
MTF, BMWMOA (Ambassador), IBA, BMWMOAL, BMWMCGA, BMWROC, BMWLT Last edited by Norwood; Yesterday at 11:02 AM. Reason: change title
post #44 of 44 Old Oct 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
cws

Garage

Its also on this site (thx Don!)
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82017

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in