2720 instalation question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

2720 instalation question

I just purchased a Garmin 2720 GPS unit.

I usderstand there are 2 ways to install.

1. On the radio using either drilled holes or epoxy.
I am not sure about a method that is permanent or
one that requires holes to be drilled.

2. Bracket mount through the Map Light.
My concern about this is stability - vibration etc.

Q: Does anyone have any pictures of these instalation
Q2: Any opinions on which one is better.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:01 pm

Have you considered a BMR product. They make the co-pilot and another mount that mounts just above the radio where the factory provides the mount. Both BMR products to eliminate 99.99% of the vibration.

On another note: Are you sure you need the 2720? That model has the hard drive inside (if memory serves me correctly) which according to Garmin (last week), does not stand up well on a bike.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:01 am

No hard drive

The 2720 is recommended for cars and motorcycles and has

"Storage: Internal flash memory comes preloaded with City Navigatorô NT, providing street-level detail and addresses, plus listings of nearby restaurants, hotels, ATMs, etc., throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico

it is also gasketized and ruggedized.

I have mine on the BMR shelf also and purchased the Garmin MC mounting kit that included a bracket and cable. Unfortunately the bracket is oriented the wrong way and needs a 90 degree plate to mount it. I'm sure that there are lots of options out there for the plate but I opted (because I'm cheap) to go to Home Depot and get a galvenized bracket for $2.49 and customize it for the angle that worked for me. That required changing the angle a little and then grinding to make the bracket conform more with the shape of the Garmin mount. Another $2.99 for a can of flat black paint and there ya have it.

I have pictures but they are to big to post and I don't have a utility to reduce the pixel size. Anyone that wants them can email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to send them to you. I took these pictures during my BMR shelf mount installation.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: 2720 instalation question

I got my garmin 2720 & mount kit yesterday. Went out today to install & became be-fuddled (is that a word?) right away. The mount hoes on the new kit line up with the mount plate that the SPIII was on up by the map light. No problem. But the wiring is completely different. I thought I read on here somewhere that somebody used the existing wiring, but I sure don't know how.
The existing wiring comes out of the map light hole. Looks like I need to get back there & take it out & run the new harness. Is there a simple solution for this, or am I just going to have to grit my teeth & get in thar. Thought about possibly taping the new harness to the end of the old where it connects to the battery & see if I could pull it thru. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 2720 instalation question

I mounted my 2720 on a BMR shelf. I can't help with conversion info, but if the connector isn't compatable I'd go ahead and remove/hide the old and connect the power to the lamp. I picked up some 2-to-1 connectors at Radio Shack that fit on the lamp power post and added a mating connector to the end of the Garmin power wire. No tupperware was removed for the install.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 8:31 am

Re: 2720 installation question

I mounted my StreetPilot on the bracket through the map light and experienced -0- vibration. It was solid and I have just ordered a 2820 that I plan to mount the same way. It is at eye level, out of the way and looks almost custom.

The only thing that I plan to do differently is to wire it hot. Too many time I stop for one reason or another and loose the power to the GPS.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in